Question for you DIY'ers (removing Granite backsplash)

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

Luka
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Question for you DIY'ers (removing Granite backsplash)

Postby Luka » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:51 pm

Here's a question for the DIY-ers in the group. Have any of you tried ripping out a granite backsplash? One of the former owners of our home went absolutely nuts with this mottled brown/peach granite and we're gearing up to have it taken out. I'm just wondering if any of you have attempted this or hired a professional and just how ugly it got (loss of much drywall I'm assuming?).

Stephen
Modern Guru

Re: Question for you DIY'ers (removing Granite backsplash)

Postby Stephen » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:40 pm

Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:58 pm

Luka gets my special award for ripping out granite!!

Hip Hip Hurray!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

yeah, probably just glue

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby egads » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:21 pm

A full splash? With the plugs and switches in it?
It usually is put up with silicone. Blobs spaced out all over the place.
To do the least damage. you can try to "saw" with heavy fishing line.
But realistically, you are going to have torn up drywall.
But not so bad it can't surfaced to accept your replacement.
That would be?

Luka
Modern Master

Postby Luka » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:37 pm

Replacement is going to be tile, but the replacement countertop will be silestone. I'm just going to assume I'm replacing drywall and get my head around having the drywaller come visit my house one more time.

I appreciate the hoorays and positivity. I'd asked this question on a general DIY'er forum and got no responses except people aghast at the idea of ripping out granite. Aside from not working with the look we're working with/trying to attain (or retain as were) it turns out it's emitting a good deal of radon into our home.

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:24 am

danny leisure
Modern Socialite

Postby danny leisure » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:32 pm

If you're drywall is visible above the ugly backsplash (the backsplash doesn't go all the way up to the cabinets), make a cut into the drywall with a circular saw along the top edge of the backsplash, pull out the drywall and the backsplash together, mount hardibacker to the studs in the void, mount your tile to the hardibacker and now your new tile will be flush to the drywall above it.

A very cool look.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:24 am

Don't you love it when folks come on internet boards, ask a question, a bunch of folks provide answers and ask some questions for clarification, and the OP is never heard from again?

roxy500
Modern Master

Postby roxy500 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:50 pm

danny leisure
Modern Socialite

Postby danny leisure » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:36 pm

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:53 pm

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:19 pm

Luka
Modern Master

Postby Luka » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:42 pm

Wow Egads, I had no idea you were sitting on pins & needles awaiting my response or I would have checked in from the road. I'm a pretty frequent poster on here and appreciate the responses. I'd been away for work the past two weeks or I would have responded sooner.

Anyway, I decided to gut the entire kitchen so the backsplash will be coming down but along with the cabinets and countertops. Our kitchen is OK, not really drool worthy enough to hang on to and with the drawers that don't work etc it seemed like a waste not replace cabinets when we were taking out the counters and backsplash. I had the drywaller out on Thursday to give a quote on what it will take to replace the sections where the granite had been adhered.

Thanks to everyone for your insight on this, genuinely appreciated and I'll be happy to share photos once the demo begins (2 weeks from now so hang tight Egads).

Here's the photo of the granite in question:

roxy500
Modern Master

Postby roxy500 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:51 pm

That is horrible. No wonder!

Luka
Modern Master

Postby Luka » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:57 pm

Yeah, I have to think the person got a great deal on this particular granite because they even covered the window sills in the kitchen with it. It really is awful. Only useful quality - it hides spills really well. :D

danny leisure
Modern Socialite

Postby danny leisure » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:51 am

kjansma
Modern Master

Postby kjansma » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:22 pm

I'm always amazed when watching those HGTV/TLC house hunting shows, that people with absolutely no style (or at least no style preference) will say, "I wish the countertops were granite." They overlook the fact that most of the houses are boring and quite awful, but they have an opinion about the countertops, and that is that they should be granite. How did this happen?

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:23 pm

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:42 am

danny leisure
Modern Socialite

Postby danny leisure » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:53 am

Luka
Modern Master

Postby Luka » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:05 am

danny leisure
Modern Socialite

Postby danny leisure » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:19 am

kandersen
Modern Master

Postby kandersen » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:59 am

Luka
Modern Master

Postby Luka » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:19 am

spinsLPs
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby spinsLPs » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:46 am

Hey, your kitchen sure looks just like this one!

Luka
Modern Master

Postby Luka » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:55 am

That's the one, we bought the house in November of last year

Luka
Modern Master

Postby Luka » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:04 am

The order is in and here are a couple of mock-ups of the new kitchen

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:48 am

Stephen Meade

SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749

Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect

http://www.OCModHomes.com

http://www.CliffMaySocal.com

and

Cliff May Homeowner

Luka
Modern Master

Postby Luka » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:07 am

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Pics please when done

Postby modfan » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:55 am

Yup I HATE granite too, I have it in my kitchen and you can't see how clean/dirty your countertops are (well maybe to some folks think that's good/bad). I've looked at the houses where you are they are just north of the eichler tract. The builder built several tracts all over the SF valley
'Valley Circle Estates' and 'Pass Monterey' in Monterey Park but for the life of me I can't remember the name. Those homes has some good potential, too bad a lotta folks don't 'get it'. My mom's acquaintance lived in the row of em facing Balboa/Orozco, and sho nuff she frilled it all up w/in a year but had to sell at a loss.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”