Question for you DIY'ers (removing Granite backsplash)

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

Luka
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Luka » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:01 am

Hey ModFan - You are definitely close by. I'm surprised more people haven't discovered this tract. Our house is really neat - long and low with half of the bedrooms on one side and the other half on the other. Makes it really nice when guests come and to have the office away from the sleeping area. Also we have an outdoor atrium as the house is U shaped. You are right though, most of the people in this tract do frill up the houses and do a lot of damage although I've seen a handful that are in great shape.

When Ikea came to measure the girl told me a lot of people shy away from white countertops because they want something to hide dirt which as she said, kind of scary when your talking about food spills.

BOXOUTBM
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby BOXOUTBM » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:26 am

We also went with the Silestone Stellar Snow to match our Abstakt White Cabinets. The Stellar Snow is great, especially when the light hits the small quartz pieces. They sparkle very nicely. Cleaning is great, We use Windex Multipupose Vinegar (the clear one, not blue). You will be very happy with your decision

Luka
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Luka » Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:34 pm

We had demo work done on Saturday and the predictions of mastic being what was holding up the granite backsplash were correct (photo below). When we were removing the cabinets we found a great photo of who we assume was the original owner (house built in '65 so seems right).

Sputnikmoss
Modern Master

Postby Sputnikmoss » Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:54 pm

Wow! What a great picture! Thanks for sharing.
Sputnik Housewares...Jetset furnishings from the Atomic Age!

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:22 pm

oh, how sweet is that.
and classic blob mastic.

Luka
Modern Master

Postby Luka » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:04 am

Here's an update on the kitchen, I think we'll be wrapped up around Oct. 20 - 25.

Seeking input - if you have put a countertop overhang in and required brackets below - what have you used? Most of the "corbels"/shelf brackets I've seen so far have been pretty bad.

Last edited by Luka on Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:20 am

Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

danny leisure
Modern Socialite

Postby danny leisure » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:48 am

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:35 pm

danny leisure
Modern Socialite

Postby danny leisure » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:01 pm

Luka
Modern Master

Postby Luka » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:09 pm

danny leisure
Modern Socialite

Postby danny leisure » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:15 pm

sumu
Modern Master

Postby sumu » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:05 pm

Kneading dough on a stone countertop is preferable to laminate any day.

I prefer soapstone to granite, not only for its appearance but it's inert, non reactive, no radon, and its been used for a very long time for countertops and labs.

Luka
Modern Master

One more update

Postby Luka » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:12 am

Next week we're done so once the backsplash goes in I'll post one more photo but here's an updated photo

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:36 am

nice to see the dark honey-colored wood with the white countertop. we're also planning ikea bases with custom luan doors to coordinate with the paneling on an adjacent wall. we were planning absolute black granite in a honed (matte) finish, but the white is indeed quite nice. thanks for sharing + keep the photos coming. i'd be interested in seeing the details of how surfaces meet other surfaces. my biggest disappointment with ikea cabinets is that bases come in only white or a pinkish fake wood. a medium-dark gray would be a nice 3rd choice. i'm a bit concerned about how our doors will look with the white underneath... to the point that i'm considering planing all of the cabinet faces and resurfacing with matching wood or aluminum (which we would also trim the door edges with).

Luka
Modern Master

Postby Luka » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:30 am

Hey RedNeck - Thanks too. Have you been on Ikeafans.com? They can help you come up with ideas. I'm happy to send you any photos you'd like of the cabinets and where things meet. I actually went with the white interiors because I felt better about that than the faux wood look but I've seen both used and both work.

kjansma
Modern Master

Postby kjansma » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:26 am

Wow. I love the white with wood. We were thinking of doing wood cabinets on bottom and white on top to keep the kitchen from getting too dark, but I like your solution better. This is, of course, in my fantasy future in which I actually get to redo my kitchen.

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:25 am

Luka
Modern Master

Postby Luka » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:37 pm

Hey Kjansma - Check out this photo, sounds right up your alley and could be done easily with a combo of Nexus Yellow Brown and Abstrakt White cabinets.

Izzy - These are indeed Ikea doors - Nexus Yellow Brown.

Our backsplash goes in on Monday so I'll post photos soon after, thanks for the good thoughts!

danny leisure
Modern Socialite

Postby danny leisure » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:49 am

Can you believe there's no Ikea anywhere near Denver, CO?! (Arizona is the closest). There are so many college kids in the Denver/Boulder area that it's not even funny. Not to mention that it's got to be (unfortunately) one of the fastest growing places, as far as number of houses built, in the US. Ikea would make a KILLING here.

All this talk of Ikea cabinetry has got me chomping at the bit to go at our kitchen, but I can't afford to do it without Ikea's stellar pricing options.

kjansma
Modern Master

Postby kjansma » Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:18 pm

I went by the Costa Mesa IKEA last week (put the kids in the play area since the air is too gross for them to play outside) and they had a model kitchen with the glossy white cabinets on top, and the new darker NEXUS on the bottom, with glossy white side panels. My dream.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”