electrician for eichler in concord, calif.

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
redneckmodern
Modern Master

electrician for eichler in concord, calif.

Postby redneckmodern » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:08 pm

hi folks... first post. found my way here from a board that is a bit tighter on FWDing service recommendations...

anyway... i'm hoping to find an electrician in the concord area. doesn't need to be an eichler-specific electrician, just someone you might've had good experiences with who's reasonable in their approach (i.e.: the eichler-specific electrician wanted to replace all of my wiring... umm. no.).

thanks for any advice you can lend... and if you know someone, please post it right here so the next time someone does a search for "electrician concord", they'll be greeted with a few names/numbers.

thanks in advance.

Luka
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Luka » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:32 am

Hi - I don't live in an Eichler but I find the Eichler Network's website a good source for info nonetheless. Here's their link to Eichler-aware electricians in the Bay Area:

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:25 am

thanks for the re:... unfortunately, the eichler network -- while a valuable resource on many levels -- is not terribly useful in this case (which prohibit mentioning anyone other than those that advertise with the EN). all of their advertisers are quite a distance (50+ miles) away.
Last edited by redneckmodern on Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

BOXOUTBM
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby BOXOUTBM » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:08 am

I would suggest maybe calling up one of the Eichler Advertisers and asking them for a reference in your area. I am sure they get a few calls for this. Good Luck

Luka
Modern Master

Postby Luka » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:18 pm

donsof1
Modern Fan

Postby donsof1 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:02 pm

Don't have any electrician advice for you, but I like your blog. How about some pictures of the lot, exterior, etc... I love the Eichlers.

Don

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:49 pm

Replace all your wiring? Not a silly as it sounds. Especially with all those walls open. Here is a quote you will find on many new light fixtures, especially recess cans.

Warning- risk of fire
Most dwellings built before 1985 have supply wire rated 60 degrees Celsius
Connect only to wire rated at 90 degrees celsius. (the current standard)

A newer house would also have a lot more circuits. Do as much as you can now with everything apart.

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:02 pm

egads: thanks. we do plan on adding to the electrical system (and probably upgrading the service panel), but we're quite fortunate to have 12/2 romex-brand (copper) grounded wire throughout the home. while the walls are open, we plan on adding new circuits to the kitchen, specifically... and to room that will be getting more use (den, office) as well as splitting a few of the combined circuits... but an elchler-specific electrician simply wanted to abandon the old system -- like some old knob/tube system -- in favor of running new wire everywhere. while i'm all for preventative maintenance, that's a bit overboard. fortunately, no recess cans. in fact, little/no new lighting at all... this is more of a "restoration" than a "renovation" and we really love all of the original globe fixtures (and my wife quite dislikes overhead lights in general)

donsof1: i'll add a flickr link to the site in a few minutes with lots more "before" images...

donsof1
Modern Fan

Postby donsof1 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:17 pm

Hi
Thats my favorite style Eichler! Is it the Oakland design?

I think the most important thing in a quality wiring job is properly sized breakers, that will trip with ease. I own a 50's home that I redid the breaker panel on. I love my square D breakers and have tripped them before. They stop problems before they happen. They are very sensitive, but can be damaged by lightning I have heard.

Interestingly, codes can be much stricter in places like Chicago where one burning building can cause major problems. I have heard everything is in steel conduit there, in the inner city.

thanks

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:33 pm

yellow pages. look at the ads for someone that's been in business for 30-40 years.

ask your neighbors for a referral

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”