Trying to ID a MCM in Beachwood Cyn (Hollywood Hills)

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

gwdiener
Modern Master

Trying to ID a MCM in Beachwood Cyn (Hollywood Hills)

Postby gwdiener » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:16 am

There is a very cool MCM at 3064 Beachwood Drive in the Hollywood Hills. We drove past it yesterday and my S.O. commented about having admired it on walks for the past couple of years.

I figured out that it is owned by a Richard Schilling and he applied to have it designated as a City of Los Angeles Historical/Cultural Landmark (I found him listed on the agenda a couple of times). But I can't find anything to indicate why the house would be worthy (other than coolness factor).

Just thought someone here might know the story. I'll try to get over there and take a couple of photos to post.

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:33 am

You can contact the Cultural Heritage Commission and get a copy of the application. That will have the rational for its importance.

Tony
Tony Merchell

Architectural Photographer
www.glassandsteel.com

MD²
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby MD² » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:15 am

It's called the Lee residence (1963), but there's nothing much more there than this Tony, since Mr.Schilling or his speaker apparently wasn't present at the hearings....

Try case n° CHC-2005-7065-HCM on http://plncts.lacity.org/cts%5Finternet/
1. 11/03/2005 - APPLICANT NOT PRESENT. NO SPEAKERS. CASE CONTINUED TO 11/17/2005.
2. 11/17/2005 - APPLICANT NOT PRESENT. NO SPEAKERS. CASE TAKEN OFF CALENDAR.

gwdiener
Modern Master

Postby gwdiener » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:24 pm

Here are a couple of photos I took of the house today. There is a swimming pool behind the glass fence. The pool was there before the house was restored but I have no idea if it has been there since the house was built.

jonu
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Location: Franklin Hills (Los Feliz), LA CA and Palm Springs CA

Postby jonu » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:33 am

Thanks for the pictures. The house looks amazing!

You can request the archival building permit records for the house from the LA building department.

It looks like on the link you can fax in your request and the city will mail all the permit information within a few weeks.

I know that there is a per page cost for this service but its minimal.

Also, if you have time you can go downtown and get the historical info immediately.

-Jon

gwdiener
Modern Master

Postby gwdiener » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:33 pm

gwdiener
Modern Master

Postby gwdiener » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:55 pm

Curbed LA just featured this house today in their "priced: too much/just right/bidding war" feature. It is on the market for 1.26m and will be open this Sunday.

The website is

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”