Best paint for front door.

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
64Cat
Modern Socialite

Best paint for front door.

Postby 64Cat » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:23 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:40 pm

Behr exterior semi gloss for front door. avoid orange. it's a bit cliche now days. :wink:

while flat is best everywhere else, the front door gets handled the most. you cannot clean flat too well.

johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby johnnyapollo » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:42 am

Semi-gloss in red or black are my favorites (they are also good fung shui colors). I prefer Duron over Behr and have also had good luck with Pratt and Lambert and Benjamin Moore. I tend to use Lowe's Olympic exterior paints the most (they were rated pretty much as the best in a CR review a few years ago, however now many of the paint companies have stepped up to the plate in quality).

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

mod cats
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby mod cats » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:02 pm

This is exactly what I've been wondering about. We just painted our modern ranch a deep, dusty pink with pale yellow trim (perfect for Florida). But I don't want a yellow door. I'm thinking of aqua, but not too bright. Suggestions?

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:53 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:49 pm

The new slab door, c 1956, on our 'thirties shingled 4-up/4-down "Dutch Colonial," was painted, at my-mother-the-artist's direction, a sort of Howard Johnson's turquoise. House is gray with white trim. When the dining room at rear was enlarged into her studio, with its own grade-level entry, the door was painted an orange (I'm afraid). Each door has on it a large wood initial letter from an old store sign -- the carved and gilded kind, with a black border. Arty. . .

The paint was more or less glossy.

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

STLModern
Modern Master

Postby STLModern » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:08 am

Orange may be cliche in CA, but I have yet to see an orange door here in St. Louis. :D

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:37 pm

i found a good turquoise in my benny moore fan deck, the CLASSIC deck.
a cross between azure water-677 and shenendoah-684.
it seems a bit dark on the scale, but almost all color choices will be much
lighter, 2 or 3 shades lighter once up.
most good paint stores now can scan an object, (pottery or fabric) and
give you a good match. so if you have trouble finding what you want on
a chart, take in that perfect flower vase or t-shirt.
i used my grandmothers ceramic crab dish.

mod cats
Modern Socialite

Postby mod cats » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:14 pm

64Cat
Modern Socialite

New door

Postby 64Cat » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:37 am

Finally installed new front door. Thanks for all the help and info. I ended up going with a BM oil based gloss paint (I'll update with color later.)

I made the door from a solid core dore and some frames from another door.

Image[/url]

64Cat
Modern Socialite

Postby 64Cat » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:12 am

In case anyone wants to know.

The paint i used was Benjamin Moore Impervo Alkyd High Gloss Metal and wood enamel Ultra Base (man thats a long name.) FYI the paint goes on really nice and easy. But being an oil based paint is a mess to clean up.

The color is BM newburg green which does not looks turqouisy(sp?) as the photo is. More of a dark green gray witha small touch of blue.

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:24 pm

PaulKaplan
Modern Master

Postby PaulKaplan » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:44 pm

My vote is always orange for a front door..... a good feng shui color, as well as a mid-century modern color. Just make sure its not too "pumpkin" looking, with black trim.
The Paul Kaplan Group, Inc
Architectural Real Estate
1701 N Palm Canyon Dr. #5
Palm Springs, CA 92262
www.MidCenturyModernPS.com
760-459-1396
DRE 01325586

classic form
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby classic form » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:26 am

Ours will eventually be painted "Vermillion" Ostwald number 6PA, Martin Senour number 11287. This is more of an orange/red going by the original paint found under non-original paint on a hinge. Not sure if I would have picked it for this house but we are going back to original with all the colors.

AlcoaMCM: Isn't your front door an orange? Your pics are gone so I can't check...

Not one pic of an orange door in this thread? Fine, I'll start...

Luka
Modern Master

Postby Luka » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:29 am

64Cat, excellent job!

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”