Cliff May in Pico Rivera

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Sienna
Special Secret Modern Agent
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Cliff May in Pico Rivera

Postby Sienna » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:48 am

I THINK I spotted a Cliff May on Washington and Lindsay in Pico RIvera. It was very wierd because this house was right on the northwest corner of this intersection and it was the only one that looked CLiff May. The surrounding neighborhood looked about that age, but the houses in the track that this particular house was in did not look the same. They were ranch style houses but stuccoed and with white-paned Jeld-wen type windows, etc. By the way, Del Rae restaurant (which I highly recommend for the food, atmosphere and it's piano bar) is down the street for a landmark if it helps. I took a picture with our cell phone but it came out really bad as you can see below:

So not sure if this is a copy-cat but the windows and siding looked authentic. Maybe the CM experts can chime in!
*** :cheers:

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:59 am

Sienna,

The windows and doors are usually the most definitive, externally visible verifiers.

It's hard to tell from the photo, but the windows do look pretty convincing. Also, the window placement (a corner of windows in the living room) was popular in the 1955 models.

Obviously, I'd have to drive by it to know for sure, but one thing a lot of people don't know is that Cliff May Ranch Homes sold kits / licenses to builders and homeowners for single lots all the way up to large neighborhoods like the Ranchos.

I've personally seen single or double houses in Claremont, CA and Fullerton, CA.
Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

Sienna
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Sienna » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:02 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:57 am

-board and battan
-exterior sill above windows and doors where the siding ends
-5 ft, 6 inch modular layout from post to post.

Just last weekend, I discovered a lone Cliff May on the south end of town. Intact, good shape. one of the early '53 two bdrm models with a flat roofed carport entry. So, I think Eugene has 40 Cliff May homes.

back in the day, it was easy for a builder to buy a single kit, have it delivered from a regional producer, build the house on a lot. If it got good feed back, he probably built more.

home_boy
Modern Master

Postby home_boy » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:20 pm

Looks like your list needs updating, Joe. How about posting it again. BTW, how's that map coming along? : )

Hey Stephen, what's happened to the Registry? Looks like it got hacked!

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:26 pm

Stephen Meade

and

Cliff May Homeowner

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:33 pm

I added some locations recently. I'll make the map when I get www.cliffmayhomes.com up and going this fall. I plan to start on it in September.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:51 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:15 pm

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:18 am

Stephen Meade

and

Cliff May Homeowner

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:28 am

vlopez
Modern Socialite

Postby vlopez » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:43 pm

I posted the following message about a year ago, but I never got a photo. I drive by it all the time. It seems strange, but it's definitely a lone May!

Posted: Aug 26, 2006 9:28 pm Post subject: Lone Cliff May - Pico Rivera

I live in the Long Beach Tract, but grew up and now teach in Pico Rivera. There's a lone CM in Pico. I know the family that lives in this house, but didn't realize it was a May until I bought my own in 2000. It's on the corner of Washington Blvd. and Lindsey Avenue. I'll try to get a picture of it this week!

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”