Copper Repipe...have you done it?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
daybreaker
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Copper Repipe...have you done it?

Postby daybreaker » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:14 pm

daybreaker
Modern Socialite

Postby daybreaker » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:34 am

Really? No one?

jcheard
Modern Groupie

Postby jcheard » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:51 pm

Hi Daybreaker, Check out a company called Ace DuraFlo. They shoot an epoxy thru the existing pipes after they blow an abrasive thru to "clean out" the interior of the pipe. There is also another company called Nuflo that does the same thing. Try searching under "epoxy pipe lining". While they will be more $$$, there is very little restoration to slabs, flooring, drywall and paint. Good luck.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:59 pm

That is not a solution for old iron pipes. But it is good one for some vintages of copper.
daybreaker, tell us about the construction of your house. Slab? raised foundation? Year built? Stuff like that.

ValleyModern
Modern Master

re: copper pipe

Postby ValleyModern » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:18 pm

Nice to hear from you again!

Since your stylish Pugsley is on stilts, it will be quite easy to run the pipes wherever needed. It should be pretty cost-effective and an easy, one-day job. That is aside from any drywall or tile repair that needs to be done afterward, but I don't think that will be an issue. I'm guessing 3k at the most, but it's been a while since I've repiped a house - knock on wood, mine are all in the slab. Maybe you should think about adding a tankless hot water heater while you're messing with pipes. And a water softener! I miss mine from houses 2 and 4.
Craig Terrien
Deasy/Penner & Partners
www.ValleyModern.com

jcheard
Modern Groupie

Postby jcheard » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:24 am

daybreaker
Modern Socialite

Postby daybreaker » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:56 pm

Hey Craig. Nice to hear from you! How's it going? I see that you moved. Yes?

I do think it will be easy to repipe the Pugsley (or at least I hope so) since its 30ft in the air. Do you have any recomendations on someone to call? It doesn't need it but I would like to get that off my wish list of projects.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:39 pm

If it really does not need it yet, then I would wait for copper prices to come down. With the housing crisis, building activity will be down and prices may follow. The artificial price inflation of copper has happened several times in the last 30 years. Now there is also a new piping system using cross linked polyethylene. It has been used in europe and Canada for some time now. Much easier to fish into an existing house. The material is a lot cheaper. It must be installed correctly though. And it has been slow to be adopted by local building departments. But done right it's way cool. A distribution manifold sends water out in individual runs to each outlet. This equalizes pressure and makes repairs really easy. Here is a site that I found when Googling poly piping. It's some plumbers site from the midwest, but it does explain all the different water supply methods. I personally think a flexible piping system would have real advantages here in earthquake country. But city inspectors are slow to adapt

.http://www.terrylove.com/pipe.htm

dalangdon
Modern Socialite

Postby dalangdon » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:05 am

srk1941
Modern Master

Postby srk1941 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:57 am

Steven Keylon
Village Green - National Historic Landmark

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:04 am

daybreaker
Modern Socialite

Postby daybreaker » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:47 am

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”