New Alan Hess Book Forgotten Modern: California Houses 40-70

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

New Alan Hess Book Forgotten Modern: California Houses 40-70

Postby moderns-r-us » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:20 am

Here is the latest Modern Book effort from Alan Hess:
Forgotten Modern: California Houses 1940-1970

http://www.amazon.com/Forgotten-Modern- ... 8580/ll-20

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:04 pm

Alan, what is this fine title all about???

dilettante
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby dilettante » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:56 pm

I ordered Forgotten Modern about a week ago from Amazon. It's still a pre-order, but they expect to deliver it between 9/14 - 9/17. I just can't wait for this one!

Amazon's pairing it up with another soon-to-be-published book where Hess is also the author, Frank Lloyd Wright Mid-Century Modern. This one's expected to be shipped on or about 10/23. You can read something about the Wright book .

I ordered them both, since I'm a sucker for Amazon's pairings, even though I don't save a cent. :oops:

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:32 pm

"Better Living Through Modernism"

dilettante

Postby dilettante » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:33 pm

MD²
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby MD² » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:51 pm

How about this one? (click image to amazon link)

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:16 pm

ooooh, just in time for my Palm Springs vacation in November :D

MD²
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby MD² » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:50 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:18 am

:(

Perks

Postby Perks » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:25 pm

Just got my copy of "Forgotten Modern" in the mail today. Haven't had time to start reading through the text, but Alan Weintraub definitely gave us plenty of great photos to drool over! I was particularly excited to see some interior shots of the house Paul Williams designed for Dr. Robert Williams in Ontario, Calif. (the one on the cover), which I happened to drive by one afternoon and instantly fell in love with.

Plenty of other eye candy too, of course. This looks to be definitely worth the money. Can't wait to sit down this weekend and read through the whole book!
Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:53 pm

That Shulman Palm Springs book is in conjunction with this event:

Julius Shulman Exhibition Will Debut at the Palm Springs Art Museum in February 2008

No single person has been more present for the evolution of modern architecture in Southern California, with a special emphasis on Palm Springs, than the great photographer Julius Shulman. Sensitive to light, structure and detail, Shulman is known for capturing the essential elements of architecture that have turned many buildings into icons. Because of this, it is fitting that the Palm Springs Art Museum will debut the exhibition Julius Shulman / Palm Springs in February 2008—the same year that marks the Art Museum’s and the City of Palm Springs’ 70th Anniversary.

dilettante

Postby dilettante » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:11 pm

dilettante

Postby dilettante » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:16 pm

Last edited by dilettante on Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

will-san
Modern Fan

Postby will-san » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:26 pm

dilettante

Postby dilettante » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:42 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:54 pm

"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

markvalli
Modern Groupie

Postby markvalli » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:53 am

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”