Ballpark costs to expect from a MCM consultant

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
rockabilly
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Ballpark costs to expect from a MCM consultant

Postby rockabilly » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:03 am

Geek with Style

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:11 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:28 pm

what's a MCM Consultant?

same with another thread where someone hired a Colorist...

Sounds like some fancy name for someone without a design degree.

Do please share his bid with us.

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:35 am

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:35 am

As far as prices....

The Short (but not really short) Answer:
"Whatever it's worth to you." -- Bain Management Consulting uses the metric that in order for an engagement to be worthwhile, they must be able to provide double the value to the client as they are charging.

The Long:

Market price for design services varies based on what you're getting, who's giving it to you, and your geographic locale. There's a very big difference between someone who is *reviewing* a design and making suggestions versus someone who is coming up with an entirely new design altogether. If it's the former, I can't imagine spending more than $500 - $1000. However, if it's the latter the sky is the limit and a skilled designer can be very expensive -- MCM or otherwise.

I would just meet with the designer and ask what to expect. Most will appreciate you asking about this towards the beginning and are happy to share how they do things or, in some cases, the multitude of service options you have with them.
Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:50 am

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:47 am

i've enjoyed following your move and this is the image i have.
i'm not sure of the kitchen?
have you posted it?
i do remember lots of built-ins. in other rooms. and you do have the
basement level ofice?
really nice house. you have many options.
would seriously consider a very simple and clean upstairs living area.
the wow factor. you'll never tire of simplicity. can always add an object
here and there, orange chair etc. easier to move around and dispose of
unlike kitchen cabinets.
if you do have lower level studio/office like i remember, use that as a crazy
ecclectic room. anything goes. i'm lucky to have that.
seems a bit split personality, but i like the retreat upstairs and the insanity
below. if i tire of a chair or table upstairs, it goes down. luckily i love my
kitchen in it's original form. i'm so terrible at design, not sure what i would do.
(i even like your vintage landscaping, though i would have to trim the big
corner one into a teddy bear ala jeff koons, or a perforated cone lamp shape
and add lights)

rockabilly
Modern Socialite

Postby rockabilly » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:09 am

I attended the denver modernism show a couple weeks ago. at the show was a gentleman by the name of David Steers. he had a booth and was advertising himself as a 'historic preservation consultant' ... I just call him an MCM consultant. he had pictures of his home in arapahoe acres here in denver and it looked really sharp. last thursday he came out to look at my kitchen and master bath makeovers to provide me with a bid for the makeover. this was my first ever meeting with a consultant like this.

I tried to find out how much he would charge me and he said he would have to come back with his camera to take some pictures and then he would give me some numbers. I was hoping to get some suggestions from the group here as to what to look for and avoid when working with a consultant like this. to be honest he never really told me how much he bills per hour. I offered him some sketches of layouts I had in mind, but he declined taking them with him. I sort of thought he would take some measurements and maybe give me some idea of hourly rates. I guess maybe that info might be provided on his next visit.

below is a photo of my current kitchen. the last owner did a home depot makeover and is quite proud of the contemporary cabinets and the 'unique' position of the electric stove. I don't feel the space is very 'functional' and the style is not to my liking. I'd like to replace it with a modern minimalist design. I'm fine with ikea or similar cabinets, simple countertops and new stainless appliances.

Geek with Style

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:26 am

Stephen Meade

SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749

Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect

http://www.OCModHomes.com

http://www.CliffMaySocal.com

and

Cliff May Homeowner

srk1941
Modern Master

Postby srk1941 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:50 am

Steven Keylon
Village Green - National Historic Landmark

rockabilly
Modern Socialite

Postby rockabilly » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:12 pm

I'm really wading in uncharted territory here. this is my first large scale makeover. I've seen lots of tv shows and just thought it might be smart to bring in an expert to help guide me thru it.

my goal is a functional nice looking kitchen which is 'modern style' rather than home depot contemporary. as far as seeing a kitchen I like, have seen them, but I didn't tear the page out of book or magazine. I guess maybe thats the next step. the photos I saw at the show which the consultant were nice, but a little more purist historical than what I would do.

that said, the consultant just called and I asked some of the questions brought up here. he said he charges $50/hr and this project would take about 40 hrs. he indicated he would help find materials and appliances I like, arrange for contractors to meet with me and over see their quality to make sure there are no problems. he said I'd need a min of 20k to do this project.

at this point I guess I'm going to take a step back and try to figure out a good approach before making a mistake or spending a lot of money I don't have to.
Geek with Style

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:19 pm

smart. sit back. you know your present kitchen kinda sucks. but it works!
you know what you want, but, hard to get it all going.
could you put on new cabinet doors? just to make it tolerable for a few
years. might solve the yuck factor. yeah, why spend anything. just do it over. always a hard choice, when 'green' wants you to use what you have.
hard when what you have esthetically sucks.
though the layout could work. oh, it's 9.11 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
i'll shut up... :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:27 pm

Dave is a member of this board and he might be watching!

Are you there Dave?

Here he is.

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/profile.p ... ile&u=1759
"Better Living Through Modernism"

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:31 pm

There have been several discussions that might help you achieve the goal of a "functional nice looking kitchen which is 'modern style.' "

Here's a couple

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:45 pm

I have traded email with Dave Steers before. At least some of us have heard of him.

Based on what you have shared with us, I really don't see a need to hire a consultant (easy for me to say). take your time, do some research, and immerse yourself in imagery of kitchens you like from the period. find images of similar shaped spaces. then translate your vision to a contractor.

feel free to post up here to review your plans. several of us are capable of offering helpful opinions :wink:

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”