Patio project... once more!

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
wwilber
Modern Master

Patio project... once more!

Postby wwilber » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:45 pm

Thought I would share one of my projects from earlier this summer. I Added to the patio a much needed privacy screen as well as a fire pit to enjoy during cooler weather.
Last edited by wwilber on Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby rockland » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:50 am

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:57 am

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:38 pm

rockabilly
Modern Socialite

Postby rockabilly » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:03 am

same here... I only got the one photo from all four links.
Geek with Style

dilettante
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby dilettante » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:38 am

Hi wwilber,
All four of your URLs point to the same picture. Sorry. I do think you've got an interesting topic here, so I hope you can find a way to show us all the relevant pictures.

wwilber
Modern Master

Postby wwilber » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:09 pm

I have hopefully provided some accurate links to these photos. Sorry to everyone who had trouble and I hope these are finally working!
My neighborhood:

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:16 pm

Now on to the comments....
What material did you use for the screen & lamps?
Looks great!

wwilber
Modern Master

Postby wwilber » Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:20 am

I bought two sheets of 4' x 8' corrugated plastic from a signage store for about $25 each. It comes in many colors and I used what they called "clear". It is more translucent than the white but not see through. It does allow more of the ribbed look to show through as well.

I then built the wood frame with a channel cut through each piece to allow the plastic to slide in and attached the frame, once fully assembled and painted, between the support posts on the patio with some angle brackets.

I had some light kits around the house so I used leftover plastic cut to size and glued into angled aluminum trim pieces cut to length. Two pieces of aluminum rod pushed through the top of each light allow for the light kit to be attached. After all of that I still have some plastic left that I have yet to come up with another use for!
My neighborhood:

rockabilly
Modern Socialite

Postby rockabilly » Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:51 am

nice job. I'm in planning stages on front courtyard and always looking for ideas. I'm curious about your fire pit... is it wood burning or did you run a gas line to it? I was going to try to check here in Lakewood, CO to see if the city has restrictions on wood burning fire pits and also find out what costs might be involved in running a gas line to my front courtyard patio area. anyway, good job there on the screens!
Geek with Style

wwilber
Modern Master

Postby wwilber » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:46 am

The fire bowl is wood burning which is fine here. I suppose it could be adapted for gas, but wouldn't have been easy in the location we needed it. Gas is certainly convenient especially for outdoor locations since you can just turn it off when finished and there is no clean up the next day.
My neighborhood:

donsof1
Modern Fan

Postby donsof1 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:40 pm

wwilbur
I really like your modest pad. Its really tasteful!

I think the patio is a fantastic. I want to go looking at that privacy material. It seems so much cleaner than the corrugated fiberglass.

Are you worried about high winds punching out the privacy screens?

Also, is your roof/ceiling plaster, then hollow inside, and vented? Or hollow inside and non vented?

Or is it wood with insulation board, and then roof top material?

thanks for sharing

wwilber
Modern Master

Postby wwilber » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:20 pm

donsof1

Thanks for the nice comments. I hope to add some more recent photos of the interior soon, as we have made some changes.

The corrugated plastic was definitely easy to work with since it can be cut with a utility knife. I'm not too worried about the wind issue because the screens face northeast and don't usually receive much direct wind. One benefit of the plastic is that, should an issue arrise, it would be easy to replace, and the screen was assembled to allow for that. Also, the openess at either end provides good circulation without much force on the screen itself.

As far as the roof/ceiling: the patio is plywood on top of the joists with roofing material directly on top. The rest of the house is drywall ceiling skim coated with plaster. On the exterior, there is an approx. 2" round hole cut in the spacing board centered between each joist to allow for ventilation. Metal screening stapled to the inside of the hole prevents intrusion from insects and birds. Insulation fills the gap between ceiling and roffing materials, although I don't know if you can call 55 year old cotton cellulose "insulation" :D I'll try to post a picture to better illustrate the construction.
My neighborhood:

donsof1
Modern Fan

Postby donsof1 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:00 pm

Hi
Interesting on your roof. Some insulation is better than none. Since we both live in the midwest, (me in Iowa), I like to analyze why the Eichler roof barely works in California, and why it would be a nightmare here.

I had the pleasure to stop in a Eichler open house in Orange Ca. a year ago. It wasn't all that hot out, but the lack of insulation on that roof, had the central air running non stop. It seemed like an 80 degree day and sunny. The heat just poured through that roof style. I am in the mood to buy a similar property, and ask myself why people always have stuck with the contractor modern type of house. The ones with the hip roof, full basement, and the main level floor 2 feet above the soil. Thats the mid century style of home I own, but prefer the sleek look of your house, and the Eichler/May/etc... styling. The air gap style roof is a must here, for year round comfort.

I see similar houses like yours in Iowa. It sure is fun looking at building styles, and am glad you presented your place for our viewing pleasure!

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”