Exterior lighting for a 50's contemporary rancher

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

luciteflower
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby luciteflower » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:12 am

Last edited by luciteflower on Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BOXOUTBM
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby BOXOUTBM » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:45 am

Hi

Here is a really great thread in the Best of Section. Contains all things Lighting

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=5863

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby SDR » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:24 pm

Here's a lantern I made a few years back. It has a Prairie School or Arts & Crafts flavor, but might suit your handsome stone exterior.
A similar design, made of copper, could be fabricated and mounted on your posts.

Original paper exercise

Improved (?) prototype

Top of louvers

Bottom of louvers

The prototypes are made of paper, MDF and particle board (makes a great "brick"). The louver elements shown below could serve as patterns for ceramic castings, which would be stacked with square glass or plastic rings, connected with silicone adhesive or bolted vertically to the base. The translucent or opaque pyramid at the top, or the whole top louver, lifts off to change the lamp.
Last edited by SDR on Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

luciteflower
Modern Fan

Postby luciteflower » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:45 pm

Thank you for the replies - I appreciate it! Very attractive lantern - by the way! I removed my pics (but just put them back on & added a pic of the house) because I have moments of frustration when I look at my lamp post tops and feel like I should have been clever enough to come up with a simple and inexpensive solution by now.

I did think of the ball or pendant style lights and even thought about just buying a white globe and putting it atop the lamp posts (not exciting but better than what is on there now) . If I were to put a hanging pendant light on the front porch too, it would help tie it all together.

The front & sides of the house are surrounded by Chinese Holly and it's so totally wrong for this house (very 70's). I will have to tackle this issue as well - I'm clueless in this area.
Last edited by luciteflower on Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:58 pm

I would enjoy seeing more of your house. The stone looks really nice.

One universal lantern for MCM homes is the pure spherical globe. You want to choose one diameter for all the exterior post fixtures. If your lanterns don't have the correct fitter, this is easily corrected.

Here's some previous discussion of the subject. Most applications seem to be for hanging globes, but they really do look good as a post light.

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic ... ght=globes

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

classic form

Postby classic form » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:15 am

Here is a before and after shot of our last house. I'm not that happy with the way it turned out but it shows how a globe would look for you...

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:35 am

Globes outside are considered "glow bombs" by landscape architects. Just too in your eyes. This is why the louvered lantern is so good. It directs light down.

classic form

Postby classic form » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:39 am

Landscape architects should learn about electricity as part of their training...then they would know about "dimmers".

luciteflower
Modern Fan

Landscaping

Postby luciteflower » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:56 pm

Hi classic form,
Thank you for the ideas and your pics. I think your home is very attractive and the landscaping looks so nice! I wish mine looked half as good as your - I would be thrilled!
Last edited by luciteflower on Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

dalangdon
Modern Socialite

Postby dalangdon » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:38 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:58 pm

luciteflower
Modern Fan

Not changing my exterior lights

Postby luciteflower » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:31 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:39 pm

luciteflower
Modern Fan

Those darn lights

Postby luciteflower » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:54 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:22 pm

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:03 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:25 pm

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:45 pm

classic form

Postby classic form » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:17 am

luciteflower
Modern Fan

Found the outside lamp post top!

Postby luciteflower » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:22 am

Hi,
Here is the site for those who like this light (like me). After finally finding it again, I see that the price is too much for me at $135.65 (including tax). It's www.loveitlighting.com. They also had an interesting poly cube shape.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w48/diorter/1199.jpg

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:49 am

The ellipse 16" x 8" or a 12" globe would be good. CF (compact fluorescent) bulbs last a long time. . .

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:09 am

wow, that lighting site has some uglies. and a few goodies.
i keep wanting to see a square glass shade on a low post. (6")
referencing back to SDR and his square post design.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:14 am

There are some acrylic soft-corner cubes on p 10 of that site, and a 6" glass one on the first page. I like the idea of lowering the posts. What size cube would be good ?

luciteflower
Modern Fan

Here is the cube shaped lamp post top I was talking about.

Postby luciteflower » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:28 am

This is interesting but is $100 and up. I will have to improvise!

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w48/ ... 1410PE.jpg

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:12 am

Love it lighting is way expensive !

SDR

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:33 pm

crazy expensive for plastic. if the cube shape had a solid top?
light out and down. not up, unless you want to light the trees.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:22 pm

You could add an opaque top panel -- or paint out the top from the inside.

(There is a group dedicated to cutting down on unnecessary outdoor lighting -- "light pollution" -- especially that which shines up. It is no longer possible to see stars at night in many places. . .)

I worked in a lamp store; the markups were well over 100%. Is there not enough demand, or not enough competition ?

SDR

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:49 pm

george nelson '52. this is what i had in mind. this idea anyway. wish
something like this existed for exterior with milk glass. solid metal top plate.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:41 pm

Wow. Years ago I found a frame just like that (well, it was perhaps a half-cube instead of a cube) and I had no idea what it was. I've never seen this lamp. Wonderful.

Another lantern I modelled has a glass cube at its core; the four identical pieces of glass slide into pockets in the lamp base and aren't fastened to each other. The "shade" or cap just sits on top. A cube lamp could be made in the same way.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:57 pm

The unnecessary lighting group:

http://www.darksky.org/

to search on the internet for such lights, try "turtle friendly"

SDR is right about the mark up on lighting. But, if you find something you like, the internet can help find it cheaper.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”