Exterior lighting for a 50's contemporary rancher

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

PaulKaplan
Modern Master

Postby PaulKaplan » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:09 pm

I agree with dalangdon
I don't hate the lights you have....it was period actually for the era. Kinda Lucy & Ricky Connecticut Farmhouse/Donna Reed. I'd be careful of putting anything too contempory that is going to probably make more of a statement then needed...

Or get rid of them altogether and install low wattage ambient lighting in the landscape.
The Paul Kaplan Group, Inc
Architectural Real Estate
1701 N Palm Canyon Dr. #5
Palm Springs, CA 92262
www.MidCenturyModernPS.com
760-459-1396
DRE 01325586

hoodlam
Modern Master

my gut tells me....

Postby hoodlam » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:40 pm

after thinking about this long and hard, i have got to go with the original light fixtures. Clean them up abit and call them good.

these lights became popular after the opening of the Colonial Williamsburg theme park.

you see them in neon signs, motels etc.

however if you must change them, I envision a beam of light coming out the planter, not so much a pole with something stuck on top, but a clean beam of light, an extruded translucent polycarbonate tube with some uplighting. However good luck finding that inexpensively.

of course forms and surfaces has amazing site lighting but i am beting that you want something that is not mucho dinero.

Udo Min
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Udo Min » Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:57 pm

This is a cool idea but is stupid expensive...

Might be a neat fixture to mock up in wood:

http://www.forms-surfaces.com/products/ ... NIL_01.jpg

johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby johnnyapollo » Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:17 am

The previous owner of my house found a glass sphere that perfectly fits the post at the end of the drive - originally gas lit, the post was retrofitted with a socket and wired back to the house. No idea where he got the globe but if you can find something like that it's the easiest path.

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

bananabobs
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby bananabobs » Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:02 pm

Well I will have to go against the grain here, I feel those lights are very appropriate for a ranch. In the San Fernando Valley those were used on many ranch style houses but they were gas lamps. I know they are not real nelson bubblish, but they are very ranch IMHO.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:56 am

I see those kinds of lights as decoration, rather than functional lighting. Visual clutter in the landscape IMHO

hoodlam
Modern Master

Postby hoodlam » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:54 am

the lights look as though they provide lighting for both the driveway and a portion of the backyard which is functional to me.

Keep the originals, after all they are the originals.

they aren't bad at all

Designergenes
Modern Fan

Postby Designergenes » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:09 pm

Heres a source for the globe light- with fixture, pretty reasonable.

http://www.farreys.com/lighting/westing ... 66861.html

These also arent bad. They're not a real MCM light, but kind of an interpretation- which I usually hate. Thing is, the pattern within the panes matches that of a certain patterning within some ornamental "screen" blocks you see on some homes from the '50s and '60s....so IMHO, it works on some level.

http://www.westinghouselighting.com/fix ... p?k=218252

reminds me of these guys:
www.ecreative1.com/images/img259.jpg
"Whoopin' ass and fussing over complementary color harmonies since 1968"

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:50 pm

Those Westinghouse pieces are more Arts and Crafts ?

Maybe Czech cubism ?

I'd prefer that a globe be round, not faceted -- but the price is right ! And maybe those facets won't show too much. . .

SDR

Udo Min
Modern Master

Postby Udo Min » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:09 pm

Cubism Rocks
I think SDR is onto something here.

Subtle hints of facets.

Is that a custom fixture SDR?

Here is a nice box fixture:
http://www.ljusihus.se/produkter/utomhu ... _37_PF.jpg

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:19 pm

That's sweet, Udo.

The ceramic piece is from a book on Czech cubism. It reminded me of the geometries shown by Designergenes.

SDR

Designergenes
Modern Fan

Postby Designergenes » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:24 pm

Weren't some of the mortar joints in that style of masonry on a diagonal, too?

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:31 pm

You mean, like in the tower seen here:

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=11127

SDR

Designergenes
Modern Fan

Postby Designergenes » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:48 pm

SDR- you're an MCM dynamo :)
That's a near perfect match.

...I was referring to a pattern that's mostly on the horizontal, with an occasional slash cut stone that matches its sister, creating a diagonal joint. It occurs randomly- but frequently enough to feel a regular part of the pattern.

...(PHEW) anyway- all of that to say that it's a design element that could echo the fractal panes within that cubist globe. But I cant see the pattern clearly in her pics........

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”