Looking for Interior Decorator/Consultant in SoCal

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Jimmy
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Looking for Interior Decorator/Consultant in SoCal

Postby Jimmy » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:33 pm

PaulKaplan
Modern Master

Postby PaulKaplan » Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:59 am

The Paul Kaplan Group, Inc
Architectural Real Estate
1701 N Palm Canyon Dr. #5
Palm Springs, CA 92262
www.MidCenturyModernPS.com
760-459-1396
DRE 01325586

Jimmy
Modern Groupie

Postby Jimmy » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:38 pm

Thanks for the response. I will try and get a few photos on this post but in the meantime I will email you a few.

I did visit Palm Springs looking to get ideas for the house. Frederic Monhoff was the architect for my house which was built in 1961. He also built the Biltmore Hotel in Palm Springs which is now a condo development of some sort. The style of my house and the style out there are very similar except that my house has quite alot of wood and more of a country feeling to it.

Jimmy
Modern Groupie

some photos on a link

Postby Jimmy » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:56 pm

Here are a couple photos. One is of the living room. Lots of plywood veneer and a neat marble fireplacewith a matching coffee table. The other is one of the decorative tile works that are all over the house and all are unique. They came from imported european tile when the house was built in 1961. More photos will be added soon. The entire house is very well preserved. There has been only one owner (aside from myself) and he had only one child!

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:09 am

wow. that is fantastic.
love the tiles. very unique. the kitchen looks like a science lab.
where to begin? i understand. it's great empty.
great coffee table. how is it constructed? is the base in three parts
or two?
i would suggest searching through here and books and mags for
rooms you like, before you get some help. but i bet you are already
starting that process by posting here.
congrats. you have a beauty.

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:07 am

http://www.socalmodern.com/gallery/phot ... &record=62

this realestate site has some good photos.
if this living room was in my file, for example.
great couch. arms could be a bit lower and square, nice having
it off the ground to show off the floor and i like the L shape.
the dining table is a bit too ordinary. the chair and ottomon is a
nice splash of color and looks comfortable. maybe too mod? but i
need a great chair and i'd like something unusual. the paintings are way
too graphic but i find myself drawn to them so i'd like to find something
that scale for this big blank wall. the nitch for collectables is a nice way to
feature a few treasures, kinda draws you in, but maybe no so black....

if you collect a few dozen photos, organized room by room, with notes,
a good decorator will get an instant idea of your likes and dislikes. saves
money and time. i'd stay away from big patterns in a rug or furniture at
first. those first few important pieces are best kept neutral and later you
can add the flair as you build your collection. good quality pieces also seem
to maintain their value. especially in chairs, like the 'Cherner'.

Jimmy
Modern Groupie

Postby Jimmy » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:13 pm

the coffee table is made of the same orange/red marble used in the fireplace. The oval marble stands on two sections of blondish wood with circles in it. I like the coffee table but I think it limits me a bit because furniture will have to be decorated around it. So I have this custom coffee table that was specifically built for this house in 1961 and it would be hard for me not to use it.

By the way I added a couple more photos to my online collection. The kitchen is pretty amazing, all original St. Charles. The living room and entry way are very cool as well. Its hard for me to take photos of the bathrooms with my camera but I really like them as well.

Thanks for the name of that website socalmodern, I liked the living room there.

kraftdee
Modern Socialite

Postby kraftdee » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:21 pm

Nice house. I will be watching this thread since I'm interested too.

classic form
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby classic form » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:13 am

Man! That is one HELL of a house! I would love to see more pics of it...outside as well as inside. Is this your furniture in the LR? That coffee table can't go anywhere, you're right, I wouldn't even think of not using it. And the tiles? Damn! I am so glad you realize what you have here. Don't let some decorator come in and try to put his/her "stamp" on it. This house is a gem, polish it, put it in a nice setting, step back and enjoy. Wow! You must be thrilled! (can you tell I like it)? It's nice to see something different around here.

classic form
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby classic form » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:26 am

I see now it's not your LR furniture...In that case I would just do the classic (clockwise) "fireplace, sofa, armchair, sofa" arrangement with that coffee table in the middle. Match the two sofas at least. Throw down a nice Persian and call it good. Stay away from the Kitschy and stick with the classics. Keep it elegant. Widdicomb, Dunbar style etc...Let the integrated design elements of the house do the talking, play down the rest. (If it were mine).

Oh, and by the way...is that a fireplace in the bedroom? I guess "I'm not in the mood" will not be heard in this house:]

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:19 am

wow. just saw the new pics. amazing house.
dreamy kitchen.
i'd have to keep it empty for a while...
dance around a bit.
and well put classic form. 'let the integrated design elements of the house
do the talking...'
a few more pictures would be well received!!!

srk1941
Modern Master

Postby srk1941 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:09 pm

This house is out of this world!

In such complete and immaculate shape, too!

I agree with everyone above... Paul Laszlo style interiors would work beautifully here too.
Steven Keylon
Village Green - National Historic Landmark

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:41 pm

I'm jealous. :cry:

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:10 pm

found this great selection, just for fun.
love this milo baughman sofa...
your house would be a grand challenge to decorate.

(high end e-bay auctions are full of education. lots of rare things pop up)

http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/ws/eBa ... 0164243526

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”