Artwork project....

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
robbhouston
Special Secret Modern Agent

Artwork project....

Postby robbhouston » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:10 am

http://www.nashvillemodern.com
A little website I created to showcase my home and other MCMs in and around the Nashville TN area.

classic form
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby classic form » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:38 am

post50modern
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby post50modern » Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:06 am

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:35 pm

Jasper Johns, Robert Rauschenberg (sp), Mark Rothko, Franz Kline, Wayne Theibeau (sp), Jean-Michel Basquiat (inspired by abstract expressionism) , Cy Twombly (my favorite)Philip Guston. That will get you started...
oh and Willem DeKooning

Image Image Image Image

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:13 pm

roxy500
Modern Master

Postby roxy500 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:57 pm

Longtime poster, recent lurker...

Robb,
Since you can't seem to go wrong with any of your house choices so far, I'm sure whatever you do will be cool.

I recommend trying to emulate work of the cubists, like Ferdinand Leger, or a surrealist, like Joan Miro. Also, pop art is easy and flat.

You can use pre-made thick-sided canvases (2" deep instead of 3/4") and be sure to apply gesso on the canvas unless it comes gessoed. If you are an inexperienced artist, use acrylics. They are almost as good as oils in texture and colors now, plus, you'll be mixing colors to suit. I'm a painter and have used acrylics for years since my studio is in the house and I don't want exposure to tons of oil paint stink.

Here's a Leger:

Here's a Miro:

Or, hey, a little pop art is always fun!
Warhol:

Gotta LOVE Robert Indiana:

robbhouston

Postby robbhouston » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:05 am

Hey, thanks everybody for the great advice. Very helpful.

roxy500: Great suggestions. You're right, I'm not an experianced artist. So, less complex would probably be a good approach. I love the Miro stuff, BTW...

Thanks again!

--Robb

A little website I created to showcase my home and other MCMs in and around the Nashville TN area.

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:04 am

Sorry, but got to pull my Portuguese heritage here. Some of my favorites are cubist by Futurist/Modernist Portuguese artist Almada Negreiros (1893-1970):
Self portrait with quotes (1948)
The person represented in the portrait above is poet Fernando Pessoa (1954)

He also made murals and tapestries for state buildings:
Facade of Faculdades de Direito e Letras building (detail) Lisboa. Work made by Almada in cooperation with Professor Pardal Monteiro (1957).
"Be Born Again", detail of a tapestry called "O Número" (The Number.) In the Tribunal de Contas building, Lisbon, 1958.

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:52 am

Maybe you could try to make a simple screen print and repeat it (ala warhol) on a canvas? If you're not an artist this might be a good way to go. You can get all the supplies you need at a good quality art supply store.

I have always wanted a big Ed Ruscha painting in my house....
Image Image

heidi_loo
Modern Groupie

Postby heidi_loo » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:43 am

I think you might be best to stick with something more abstract and simple. Look to Verner Panton and Marimekko fabrics for inspiration. I did a few myself, just lots of blocks of lines with great colours.

I also found this guy who makes great retro modern art that's super reasonably priced. The canvases are also a good size, most of the art you find online is too small to fill those big spaces with one piece.

http://www.jetsetretrodesign.com/GalleryMain.html

Have fun!
Heidi

johnnyapollo

Postby johnnyapollo » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:12 am

Hey Rob,

Try something simple like a solid background color with circles in complimentary colors - stuff like that is easy and doesn't take a lot of time or effort.

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:48 am

Rob,

You do have a great, natural, design aesthetic (I think you should be in Wikipedia under "One and Only Successful Carport -> Garage Conversion"). Here's my $0.02:

- We recently worked with a designer on one of our business projects who used a term I like: "matchy-matchy." Her point was that you don't want everything to fit in too perfectly, as it ends up looking like a museum diorama. I would seek out a bunch of styles that show clean lines, not just "MCM art."

- Given your creative talents, I think some form of mixed-media is worth exploring (ie: a a black and white photo printed on canvas with your own colorful, painted, annotations). Don't be afraid to do something new.

- I'm the kind of guy that enjoys (and feels compelled) to do everything myself. At the same time, sometimes I make life difficult on myself when a made-by-someone-else solution would be both of better quality and cost less. Two things to bear in mind:
1. www.md-canvas.com - For large art the prince per in^2 is unbeatable.
2. Given copyright laws, many of the "modernist" artists from the early 20th century are seeing copyright expirations, which means you don't need to feel guilty when ordering Chinese replica paintings. This is great for those times when only a Picasso will do. Now you can have a real painting on canvas for a very reasonable price.
Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

SoMo
Modern Socialite

Postby SoMo » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:22 am

Rob,

I've always liked the look of (and thought it might be fairly easy to make) a large art piece that is like the Partridge Family bus. Even the cartoon-y grafics they used at the beginning of the show w/ the simple form birds are pretty cool.

Like Stephen and Roxy500 said - you always seem to make the right choices for your house, so I'd just go for it. And whatever you do, please post pics if you're not too shy about showing your work. I'm sure whatever you do it will be great.

Sara

kandersen
Modern Master

Postby kandersen » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:02 am

Here's what we did in our dining area:

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:33 am

johnnyapollo

Postby johnnyapollo » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:51 am

I'm a big fan of FLW's asymetrical window designs - great source of inspiration!

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern

http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:55 am

new find, great stuff...

http://www.jennski.com/

jenn_ski
Modern Groupie

Postby jenn_ski » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:34 pm

Thanks Joe for posting my link! :D

Dan O.
Modern Master

Postby Dan O. » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:09 pm

robbhouston

Postby robbhouston » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:00 pm

Well, after taking a stab at making art ourselves, I've learned....maybe I'm NOT an artist. But, it was fun to do, and at least we now have some large colorful objects on the walls (which were blank for 2 years). Below are a few quick pics. First the painting in context, then a close up....

Living room (the largest 5'x3')...

Far side of living room, near all the windows....

Kitchen...

The ummm..."artist" hard at work...

If you're wondering....the "canvas" is actually 3" thick styrofoam. I bought an 8'x4' sheet, cut it into sections and primed it. It made for some cool textures. And the thickness made for a pretty substantial look, though light in weight.

In my defense...I have been slamed busy lately with work/travel, so I might have been a bit hasty in my choices as I worked on them. It was indeed a learning experiance. I'd never done anything like that before. Perhaps we'll take another run at it down the road.

Thanks again for all the great suggestions.

--Robb

Josquin

Art

Postby Josquin » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:54 pm

Robb,
Nice effort. I particularly like the quartet of Arabic or Farsi inspired abstracts of the letter "z".

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:19 pm

I like those, too -- they would be fun to arrange in different ways.

Everyone should try their hand at art, sooner or later. You never know where your talents lie. But the rules of good composition and color appiy to all, not just the guys who end up in museums. So, if your efforts don't please you -- or your spouse make a point of changing the subject when talk turns to your latest masterpiece -- don't be afraid to hang reproductions of your favorite "experts" and resign yourself to learning from them.

A good compromise might be a home-made copy of your favorite Motherwell or Miro. At least you can claim to be a student of the best the world has to offer !

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

VinnyVegas
Modern Fan

Postby VinnyVegas » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:02 pm

ok, I'm here to spoil everybody's fun :evil:

why not, instead of copying historical art or otherwise subsuming art under the category of period interior decoration--

(& yes, I know, classic 50s and 60s American abstraction can't be separated from the fact that it looked fantastic in the NYC apartment interiors of the very rich)--

--why not find an MFA program, if you're in a college town, and maybe drop a little coin on something done by some kid who just wants to make art?

visit a student show; find the cheapest galleries in the crappy part of town...it won't be that hard to find something with the right look and, as a bonus, actually give a little $ to a "real" artist.....

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:11 pm

I'll second that. . .completely !

Listen to the man. SDR :cheers:
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:11 pm

Vinny, I was just going to post this suggestion. Many art schools have a sale and show a couple of times a year. I was blessed with having many friend who are (and at my age now were) artists. And living in a Cliff May, I have few walls. I have stuff stacked in closets.

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:29 pm

As an artist myself, with a master of fine arts degree, I totally agree about seeking out student work and supporting them and the arts. I do think Robhoustons experiments worked out pretty good, especially the large one over the couch. It seems the least contrived of all of them. But I am glad you realized (or maybe you already knew) that everyone can "make something to hang on the wall" that looks ok but it takes discipline, time, and an understanding of where art has been and where it's going to become an artist.
Kudos though, I'm sure it was fun to make them and that is the most important part about making art and becoming an artist; keep having fun, right? Thanks for sharing, your house looks amazing and the pieces look great.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”