Ideas for kitchen update

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

BOXOUTBM
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby BOXOUTBM » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:18 am

I know this is different than what Classic Form was talking about, but I saw this Glass counter-top at Expo a few months ago and thought it looked nice. This particular counter-top has some strange detail work (eitching), but they do make it clear without all the detail. Very expensive, but it would look nice in the right home.

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:29 am

Somebody tell me what is wrong with my idea of glass on the counter...I know I am missing something, it seems too easy.[/quote]

Seems like the tile job would have to be perfectly even, otherwise it seems like the glass would just wobble a bit and proably be likely to break easily because of this. We had tile in our last place, it was gross, hard to clean in a kitchen. Go with something smooth. We plan to do poured concrete countertops. I like the color, its reletively cheap and easy to clean and it has an earthy yet modern feel. (and apparantly 90's feel!)
Last edited by Izzy on Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:14 pm

re: glass covered countertops

as egads mentioned, the glass would need to be tempered to avoid shattering into shards if broken (which increases the cost of the glass), not to mention having the edges covered due to the general abuse that kitchen counters get and the propensity for nicks and divots otherwise. beyond the edges, the risk of breaking or cracking is so high anywhere on the surface (imagine dropping a can) that i'd not risk it. as it applies to a coffee table... well, they get lots less abuse and use in general, so it can make sense here... although i've had my share of glass-topped tables break. one due to a falling ceiling fan (boy, was that a weird day).

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:47 pm

must be 101 reasons not to put glass on counters. #1 is expensive!
so go no furthur with the idea.

nice to know they exist in the world, and if someone can afford them,
they certainly have someone cleaning them every day.

i like nothing more than seeing original kitchens and bathrooms. they
should be studied for their simplicity and function. some many affordable
solutions out there to achieve that. and that simplicity welcomes modern
additions that we need now. when i replaced my faucet i found one that
looks right. new. i didn't have to scour the internet for a vintage replacement. and when my oven goes, i'll replace it. new. same with the
front door knob, soon. i have one picked out, new.
i don't think tile grouted counters will cycle back as the 'it' counter in 20
years, and concrete is feeling a bit 90's. lovely material though.

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:20 am

a personal favorite, the Farnsworth House.

link to more photos.
http://www.farnsworthhouse.org/index.htm

dalangdon
Modern Socialite

Postby dalangdon » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:16 am

If it were up to me, I'd go with Formica and linoleum. They're period appropriate, and perfect materials for kitchens. They're also relatively cheap, so that you can makeover your kitchen whenever the mood strikes you.

Also, if you are a klutz (as I am) your dishes and glassware stand a fighting chance against chips and breakage, as Formica is not as hard as granite, etc. And a linoleum floor is good on your back if you spend a lot of time standing in your kitchen while cooking. Tile is too hard - that's why in commercial kitchens you always see rubber pads on the floors where the cooks work.

A kitchen doesn't have to be glamorous to be an interesting and attractive place to spend time in.

Connie
Modern Master

Postby Connie » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:38 am

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:22 am

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:56 pm

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:12 am

I have heard others speak of dizziness and undefinable illness when visiting Ikea. Must be the formaldehyde from all the MDF (particleboard).

In all seriousness if that Ikea surface is plastic laminate I would bet it would be very durable.
"Better Living Through Modernism"

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:48 pm

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:46 pm

Ikea appliances are made by Whirlpool.

sumu
Modern Master

Postby sumu » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:37 am

Personally, I prefer linoleum (the real stuff) to a vinyl floor anyday - it's a natural product, biodegradable.

I hear people complain about vinyl windows, only to turn around and put a vinyl floor in. What's with that? Real linoleum is period appropriate and a superior product on many levels. I had it in my 1957 apartment - it looked great 30 years after installation. Comes in fantastic colors too.

As for counters - I cook alot, and I wouldn't put in laminate. If I had money, I'd put in soapstone (check out this link: http://www.vermontsoapstone.com/soapsto ... ertops.asp) - it's made for countertops - it looks fantastic, it doesn't stain like granite and concrete, great to roll dough on (chefs use it), it's durable and inert (used for laboratory counter tops), it's virtually care-free, and I rarely hear it mentioned as an alternative stone. I hate granite. But I'm not crazy about plastic or resin countertops either.

Hating my old vinyl floor and waiting for the day to change it.

of course, it could be worse - you could have band-aid colored tile like mine...

Yes, it's kinda cool, if you don't cook. But why this color? Why? Why?

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:11 am

Why that color? Because what we all like to ignore is that some things about the 50s we don't like. For you it's sandy beige.

gwdiener
Modern Master

Postby gwdiener » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:16 am

RE: Ikea cabinets with custom doors & buying appliances -

We discovered the same as others, the Ikea boxes are the same quality as the other cabinet manufacturers. Granted, one could have custom built cabinetry done that would be higher quality but most of the people on this site are looking for stretch their restoration/renovation dollars. We went with Ikea, making sure to order the "maple" finish boxes vs. the white. We also got lucky in finding a door style that was wood not the foil so we didn't need to go the custom door expense. They look as good and appear to be as durable as any of the cabinets we priced out at 3 times as much at kitchen stores.

I drew the line at the appliances. I know they are made by Whirlpool (so are a lot of the Kenmore appliances) but I just didn't want to look at Ikea logos on my appliances. And I didn't find them to be that much of a savings. We ended up with stainless steel Frigidaire appliances (bonus retro Frigidaire script logo 8-) ).

I looked at the various models online, then went to Pacific Sales for price quotes. We decided the chosen fridge was going to be $400 too much so we chose a model they had on sale for $1000. Then we took the list (with PS prices) to Sears and Sears matched/beat the prices. The only problem..they couldn't get the sale fridge so they gave us the model we originally wanted for the $1000 price! 8-)

It will all be finished by the end of the month and I'll post a picture or two.

elleno
Modern Groupie

Postby elleno » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:44 am

Re Window Coverings: Regular old venetian blinds work really well - we have thin slats, white metal in our kitchen window over the sink. They're easy to adjust & can be pulled up almost completely. Nice clean & simple look!

classic form
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby classic form » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:51 am

Hello Elleno...welcome aboard.

elleno
Modern Groupie

Postby elleno » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:53 am

Thanks! Love this site!

sumu
Modern Master

Postby sumu » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:44 am

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:46 pm

i find it charming Sumu. and a sense of humor about it's cubby-hole existence. the raked backsplash, easy clean!. and 'oil man'.
crazy burner placement. funny. band-aid. does not become invisible on any skin-tone. what's up with that color. funny.
maybe an attempt to be neutral a while ago. if you restore eventually, you might miss that kooky charm. it really is unique.

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:44 pm

ViciousChick
Modern Socialite

Postby ViciousChick » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:18 pm

My kitchen has a bit of that bandaid color in the countertops too. I don't know where to start in my kitchen but I'm not spending the cash to tear out tile so whatever cabinet color I eventually choose is going to have to work with the tile.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”