Some reflections on the MHA houses tour in Crestwood Hills

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

scowsa
Modern Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Some reflections on the MHA houses tour in Crestwood Hills

Postby scowsa » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:49 am

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby rockland » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:38 am

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:55 am

Maybe we are bit spoiled here in the LA area, plus ez access to Palm Springs, but I find myself taking less pictures of MCM homes unless there are particular aspects of the house I want to capture.

I recall that SpinsLPs committed to take some.

In the meantime, here are a couple of useful links with pics. The first one, a Nelson house, is the one which has the lower-level extension I mentioned

BTW, that's the Getty in the distance in the shot showing their deck.

The second is the site of Cory Buckner and has pics of her work in Crestwood Hills

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

I wanted to go

Postby modfan » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:34 pm

and I thought is was later in the month.
Well I'll catch the next MAK tour.

spinsLPs
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby spinsLPs » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:36 pm

Pictures to be coming soon.

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:28 pm

Those MHA houses are real gems. I've been in several over the years and it's great to see what an architect can do with limited budgets and small spaces. Wish I could have gone on the tour!

I think it's sad that the concept of living has changed so much since then. Back then the idea was living with nature. A small house on a big lot. Today, it's a big house on a small lot. The same thing that's happening in Palm Springs. There, in the past, the idea was to live with the desert. Now it's to avoid the outside, so it seems.

Cory Buckner has done a great job in Crestwood and she is to be commended!

Tony
Tony Merchell

Architectural Photographer
www.glassandsteel.com

spinsLPs

Postby spinsLPs » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:53 pm

The first set of pictures can be found here:

This is of the first home I toured, the MHA Site Office, Model 109 (A. Quincy Jones & Whitney Smith)

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:04 pm

Thanks for the pics, spins. This is Jones at his most Schindler-esque, sez I.
Just a wonderful place. That master bedroom is to die for. How did it feel to you ?

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:47 am

spinsLPs

Postby spinsLPs » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:59 am

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:03 am

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:30 am

"Better Living Through Modernism"

srk1941
Modern Master

Postby srk1941 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:39 am

Steven Keylon
Village Green - National Historic Landmark

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:58 am

daniel lynch milner (one of the founding members of the LAC Modern Committee was on the tour) along with his fiance. it was nice to see him there!

spinsLPs

Postby spinsLPs » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:27 am

Two more homes available for your dining and dancing pleasure.

The Gross House:

And the exterior of the Israel House:
The interior was kind of hard to photograph (kinda dark and lots of stuff.) Maybe someone else got some good pics?

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:59 am

Is the Israel house a Jones (& Emmons) design, or is it an early Frank Israel ?

Bender easily confused by human activity. . .

spinsLPs

Postby spinsLPs » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:11 am

That would be A. Quincy Jones.

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:54 am

spinsLPs commented that " the Israel House interior was kind of hard to photograph (kinda dark and lots of stuff.)"

We noticed this and while the owners had some blinds it seemed to us that the design, in terms of the lot orientation, window placement etc. did not work as well as the other houses.

Sunday was a hot sunny day and we were there between noon and 3 PM and the prior houses we had visited were full of light but not excessively hot, given the cross-breezes, but this house was dark and stuffy and I was happy to leave it.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:51 pm

The Israel house was interesting in terms of history. The gentleman there (it was his sisters house?) grew up there. Came out on weekends in the station wagon before anything was built. His family had been there from the beginning. His father had been on the home owner's board for many years. There was a great scrapbook with old snapshots. So the house, while not recently made fabulous by Ms Buckner, was worth seeing. The view from the deck was spectacular. It also illustrated how well the inverted roofs opened up the view for the houses above. I'd rather look at the Santa Monica bay than the Getty. (OK who wouldn't want to be naked and look at the Getty)

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:15 pm

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:56 am

the day of the tour i spent some time on google earth. (i'm designing our
new deck and found our house and how it sits in relationship to our
neighbors. amazing that the big blue tarp over the woodpile next door is on the map! and the reason for
an outdoor room with a bit of screening)
anywho, i plugged in the address of the crestwood house that was torn down, to get a sense of where you were.
didn't feel right. found the getty, ray and charles eames house, etc.
is their an address in the crestwood neighborhood to seek out without
giving out private information?
facinating journey, google earth. our neighborhood was snapped in the winter, without leaves, so i can see the roof shapes,
and find the same model houses as mine. one of my favorites, not my model
has a kidney shaped pool out back. who knew!
i also found the usonian that is for sale a mile from me and is surrounded by
mcmansions and being sold as property for sub-division. sickening. looks
like a little recluse on 2 1/2 acres and appears to not have any exterior
living or landscaping. when the leaves fall i'm anxious to get a better look.

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

I've noticed

Postby modfan » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:15 am

That sometimes when it locates an address it's either 'next door' or 'across the street' from where it actually is. Perhaps that's the privacy protection thing they build in so that if you are familiar with the local area-ie which side of the street is the odd numbers and which side are the evens, and the 'local' landmarks, you can find where the address 'really' is. As I have noticed it marks the house across the street when I locate my own address.

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:28 pm

rochandlounge asked
"is there an address in the crestwood neighborhood to seek out without
giving out private information?"

Out of curiosity, I looked to see if this area is on zillow.com and it is. My wife has found zillow useful as we check out interesting house designs, particularity in terms of their side and rear views -- as zillow normally provides a N/S/E/W view, courtesy of Virtual Earth. Note that to get to the views you have to go down a few levels into zillow, past the point where they ask you to enter one of those displayed #s or letters.

If you enter one of the streets, such as Stonehill Lane or Hanley Lane (that MHA Site Office is at 900 Hanley) you will end up in the neighborhood. Given MAK freely published this info and the Crestwood Hills Association has an online newsletter referencing streets, I am comfortable it's not "private."

BTW, the FLW Sturgess House is also nearby on Skywiay Road (that's not a typo)

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:04 am

spinsLPs

Postby spinsLPs » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:01 am

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:10 am

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:16 pm

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:17 pm

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:14 am

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:12 am

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”