Corbin Palms and Fickett Homes

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Corbin Palms and Fickett Homes

Postby Futura Girl » Fri Oct 11, 2002 2:44 pm

I am trying to locate information about the history and background of either of these. Anything about any Fickett neighborhoods in the San Fernando Valley and more about the architects who contributed to Corbin Palms in Woodland Hills.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Oct 16, 2002 9:21 am

M-M: Palmer & Krisel contributed several designs in a large tract in Corbin Palms around 1955. I am not sure if it was Alexander who built them, though. The homes were similar to Cliff May's tract homes: 1200-1600 sqft rectangles and "L" shaped, low pitch roofs, gabled end glass, board & battan siding, wood sash floor-to-ceiling glass, slabs, louvered window exterior coverings, carports. These homes are quite modest compared to their Palm Springs homes.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Oct 16, 2002 11:34 am

Where did you find this info out and do you have any historic pictures available?

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Oct 16, 2002 11:54 am

In 1956, House & Home ran an eight page profile on P&K and they mention recent work in Corbin Palms, Eastwood, and several other areas. The article includes floor plans, interior/exterior photos, and mentions other builders they designed homes for.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:03 pm

Do they mention the track in Northridge, CA? These homes are identical to the designs in Palm Springs and I'd love to know the name and any other info about the track.
Do you think you could make me a photocopy of the article?

bluecherub
Modern Master

Postby bluecherub » Sun Oct 20, 2002 5:13 pm

Do they mention any homes in Granada Hills by Raznick by P&K?

ValleyModern
Modern Master

Postby ValleyModern » Tue Oct 22, 2002 7:23 am

I noticed a listing for one of these homes on Jumilla. They're asking 389,000. I don't know who designed it. I get the feeling that most people don't really know too much about the neighborhood, because every time I see a listing, they never mention an architect.

otis

SkipHome
Modern Master

Postby SkipHome » Tue Oct 22, 2002 12:22 pm

i always appreciate the knowledge you bring to this board, joe - way up there in oregon.
so...do you have the month in 1956 of the House & Home article on Palmer & Kriesel? i'd really like to research and get a copy, photocopy, whatever. i own an alexander in palm springs.
thanks for any help.

bluecherub
Modern Master

Postby bluecherub » Thu Oct 31, 2002 9:38 am

My house is getting to be more of a mystery every day! I live on Louise Ave. in Granada Hills and an 82 year old original owner neighbor of mine just sold his house. This 82 year old guy was a furniture designer and background painter artiest for Paramount pictures in the 50's. His house is a twin to mine as a Raznick built home. He said that he and his wife waited 5 years to get a chance to buy this floor plan and waited for Raznick to start building them. They originally saw the floor plan at the Annual Home show at the Pan Pacific auditorium in around 1955. In that show they had a full size walk threw mock up of the house that was the main attraction! How cool! He said people were lined up to get a chance to walk inside. That the design for the house won several awards for the architect in 53?, who's name escapes him! (Fickett?) He said he does not think that the architect was Bart Bodsworth, Raznick's staff architect and he said it was not uncommon for architects to sell blueprint designs to builders who did not have them on staff. He said this was probably the case with his or my house. Unfortunately he did not have his blueprint anymore. Would the original architect's name be on it or just Bart Bodsworth's name as he designed the rest of my tract? To add to that mystery other owners of my floorplan say that the house was the same design as "The Quiet House" used by JFK as a temporary residence in LA during the 1960 Democratic convention, but nobody remembers the architect's name. What is a "Quite House" anyway? A retreat? A headquarters? Where is the original Quiet House now? Was it a Fickette design? Where do I go from here?

http://www.crazyanimations.de/halloweenpumpkin2.gif
To everyone in the Modern Community, have a Happy Halloween!

:?:

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”