YABR (Yet another bathroom remodel) --in progress!

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
elvispresley2k
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

YABR (Yet another bathroom remodel) --in progress!

Postby elvispresley2k » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:31 am

Here's my bathroom remodel project.
Goodies include a Duravit tub, Toto toilet, a flush ceiling mounted kohler shower-head, custom vanity, etc.

Thanks for all the great ideas!

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:29 pm

for what it's worth, the varied angles are a bit disconcerting. i just wrapped a class in which we discussed a human's need to "line things up" (gestalt and the law of pragnanz). walking into this room -- in which little lines up with the adjacent walls -- would bug me a little. how about something with a few less random angles?

elvispresley2k
Modern Fan

Postby elvispresley2k » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:38 pm

elvispresley2k
Modern Fan

Bump

Postby elvispresley2k » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:55 pm

Delurking to bump for an update...tub, tile, cabinet, toilet installed...

deagna
Modern Socialite

Postby deagna » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:11 pm

I LOVE the tiles on the bathtub surround. I also like the cabinet design and that the tiles run at the angle of the surrounding cabinetry. Very nice. I can't wait to see it finished.

bananabobs
Modern Master

Postby bananabobs » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:02 pm

Very nice work!
I’ve got a few questions if I may:
Great use of the mosaic tile around the tub, are the 2" x 4"'s going to be exposed? And will the short wall next to the tub be enough to keep the shower water in or will you need a glass door? What will you use the alcove next to the toilet for?
What CAD program did you draw with?
I feel like a two year-old, why is there air? Why?

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:24 pm

i think your bathroom looks great. :clap:

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:19 am

Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

elvispresley2k
Modern Fan

questions answered...

Postby elvispresley2k » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:22 pm

elvispresley2k
Modern Fan

Thanks!

Postby elvispresley2k » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:35 pm

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:14 pm

looks great. i wondered about the angles, but the floor tiles placed in the same
direction make it feel right.
and if one had a much smaller space, the toilet could be placed at the narrow end of the
counter between it and the tub. that allows for a grand tub and shower...

curious about the shower head. let us know how you like it. it is handsome.
i like a direct hit forward. OPO was 7ft tall so i added an extension arm to bring it down.
but lots of splash....

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:05 pm

I can't live without a hand held shower.

elvispresley2k
Modern Fan

Postby elvispresley2k » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:58 am

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Thu May 29, 2008 11:18 am

I just though I'd bump this up and see if there are any final finished pics.
Stephen Meade

SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749

Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect

http://www.OCModHomes.com

http://www.CliffMaySocal.com

and

Cliff May Homeowner

elvispresley2k
Modern Fan

finished pics coming soon!

Postby elvispresley2k » Thu May 29, 2008 11:48 am

Ha whoops, I've been busy.

I'll post pics asap.

The bathroom hit some snags since the last post. We been using it for about 5 weeks however. There are still a few little punch-out details needing completion.

All that mosaic tile in the pics above had to be ripped out and re-done. The tile contractor used the WRONG GROUT COLOR. The tiles were also very sloppily applied. Our contractor had to rip it all out and find a new (better qualified) tile guy. Had to re-order tile which took a couple weeks.

Searched high and low for a discontinued corian color, "Dusty Rose" I think it was. Couldn't find it, so we settled for a white corian. Due to the shape of the cabinet, the contractor had to order a full sheet which took a little longer. Kinda expensive and wasteful since it's a non-standard size.

The shower glass installation was another big headache. Contractors freak at minimal or non-standard stuff. We have a sloping roof/ceiling and had the glass custom cut to match the angle (pics soon!).

The electrical contractor installed sconce lights at the wrong heights, yada, yada.

Anyway the bath looks and works great.

Stay tuned for pics later this eve.

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Thu May 29, 2008 12:16 pm

Oh. wondered about this myself.
Sorry about the hick-ups.
Rat-ba*tards!
Wasted time and materials...

elvispresley2k
Modern Fan

Pics...

Postby elvispresley2k » Thu May 29, 2008 12:46 pm

Okay here are a bunch of pics.
A couple earlier shots from this winter (one exterior) so you can get a feel for the house.

Forgot to mention, the contractor order the wrong size corian backsplash. It was too tall. Had it ripped out. Much cleaner look without it. Just have to be careful at the sink until a bead of caulk is there.

Those plastic clips on the mirrors are temporary until they're glued to the wall.

Comments welcome!

Excuse the mess! We're still competing with the painters and drywall guys in this space. :)

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Thu May 29, 2008 4:34 pm

Love the tiles in the shower. The dark ones tumble random down below.
Hard to do and beautiful...
The goldfish seems lonely :) but has the best seat in the 'bath'...
Nice work, nice cabinets!
If your walls are painted a semi-gloss as they apear, you shoud not
have a problem with the back-splash snafoo...
A cleaner line overall...

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu May 29, 2008 4:41 pm

Nice work. Good to see that interesting drawing at the top come to life.

And I love the accidental connection between the third- and second-to-last photos. . .!

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Thu May 29, 2008 6:51 pm

Wow!
This looks even better than your sketches. I am just a sales/merchandiser type versus an "artiste" but I have always advocated for diagonals in design. Not always accepted, but you are rockin' em.

And that tile looks really great. Sorry you had to go through so much drama, but it looks swell now.

I also really like the design of the cabinet-that leg gives it an airy look but not too artsy-still really substantial.
Great job!
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

elvispresley2k
Modern Fan

thanks

Postby elvispresley2k » Sat May 31, 2008 5:55 am

DFWmidmodfan
Modern Socialite

Postby DFWmidmodfan » Sat May 31, 2008 8:44 pm

Interesting design and remodel!

Just going by the photographs...does that one plate glass for the shower enclosure keep all the shower splash contained? It looks like the end of the shower pan is open...or is there a door I overlooked?

I saw the two outlets by the sink with no covers yet...I believe by national electrical code those outlets should be ground fault interrupting (GFI) type. Typically they are required whenever an outlet is near a wet location.

Otherwise...cool pictures! Thanks for the update.
Eric Green's DFW mid-mod site:
www.cosmicool.com

elvispresley2k
Modern Fan

Postby elvispresley2k » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:39 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”