Cliff May-like homes in West Covina, CA

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Dan O.
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Cliff May-like homes in West Covina, CA

Postby Dan O. » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:37 pm

Found a neighborhood in West Covina populated with some very Cliff May-like homes:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b79/e ... 28_P01.jpg

From what I could see these are somewhat smaller homes as none seemed to have L-shaped floorplans. As per usual there were several examples of nasty remuddling but I would say the majority could be rehabilitated. Absolutely nobody in the neighborhood seemed to have a clue what could be done with these places (not even the guy w/the Kustom '60 Chrysler in his driveway). Some of the lot arrangements even featured garages set at an angle to the house, location is the 1500 block of E. Holly Oak Drive between Lark Ellen and Azusa Avenue. Anybody know about these?

Stephen
Modern Guru

Re: Cliff May-like homes in West Covina, CA

Postby Stephen » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:47 pm

Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

Dan O.
Modern Master

Postby Dan O. » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:08 pm

home_boy
Modern Master

Postby home_boy » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:32 am

There are (or were) definitely some Cliff Mays in Covina, as this photo of Julius Shulman making a photograph of one will attest.
It was taken in 1954 and is often mislabeled as Long Beach. I've looked through many Covina neighborhoods trying to find the tract without success.
So, keep looking Dan O. because they're out there--if they haven't been demolished.

BTW, there's a wonderful exhibit of Shulman's photos at the Los Angeles Public Library (through January 2008) and it includes
this rare photo of Shulman at work and many others of his famous and less well-known images.

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:43 am

Stephen Meade

and

Cliff May Homeowner

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Yup there

Postby modfan » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:55 am

Stephen
Modern Guru

Re: Yup there

Postby Stephen » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:15 am

Stephen Meade

and

Cliff May Homeowner

home_boy
Modern Master

Postby home_boy » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:51 am

I may have found the (West) Covina Cliff May seen in this photo:

While searching through an L.A. Times index, I found this ad:

Following the driving directions at the bottom, I found this house at that location:
A Google Map street view of 534 Edith St. shows this:

So, what do you think, have I found it?

Stephen, at the same time I found this ad for your neighborhood, "The Fabulous Bel Air of Orange County!"

This is the sort of thing you can do when you have too much time on your hands : )
Last edited by home_boy on Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:27 am, edited 3 times in total.

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:02 am

Stephen Meade

and

Cliff May Homeowner

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:44 am

Bel Air of Orange County! too unny. great ads, home_boy.

let's remember, Cliff May made a living suing builders who copied these designs. that was the main reason for the pat pending stamp on the panels. He set legal precedent for protecting his architectural design.

what kind of shape is that covina house?

home_boy
Modern Master

Postby home_boy » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:59 am

Oh, I haven't visited it yet. This was all done with CADW (Computer-Assisted Detective Work : ). I'll drive out there this weekend and report back.

As for the ads, I found them here:

Type in a range of dates and "Cliff May" and you get pages and pages of stuff. It's mostly classified and display ads, but there quite a few articles and features for many of the SoCal developments.

Dan O.
Modern Master

Postby Dan O. » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:16 pm

Great find home_boy! Judging by the birdseye view of the neighborhood it appears that most of the homes have undergone some horrible additions, unfortunately. One property is currently on the market and it appears it could be returned to it's original configuration. Funny how the actual tree for the photo house turned out to be exactly where Mr. Shulman implied it it should be.

Miguel
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Miguel » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:02 pm

Last edited by Miguel on Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

modfan

Ya might mention...

Postby modfan » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:27 pm

Dan O.
Modern Master

Postby Dan O. » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:32 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:57 pm

nice info.

one sure way to spot a Cliff May is to remember they are built on a 5'6" module. so a window or door will either be on the corner or 5'6" from a corner. Conventional construction usually has a wind with in a couple of feet.

the width of the wall panels, window panels, and double doors are all the same. Later models did use a 1/2 width panel near the bath/bedroom wall. I have one. the extra space is where the bedroom closet is located.

home_boy
Modern Master

Re: Ya might mention...

Postby home_boy » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:56 pm

modfan

the mock mays....

Postby modfan » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:34 am

Those pics of the tract in Glendora are the ones my 2nd cousins used to live in, they lived on Woodland Lane. Seems I remember they said that the tract was something like Sandalwood Estates. There's was a 4 br 2 bath with the L shape and a detached garage/bedrooms at the front. I always thought they were kinda cool lookin when we visited when I was growing up. Unlike a lotta 'Cliff Mays' these were built on a raised foundation, not a slab. Their fireplace was kinda in bad location, like next to a hallway so they blocked it with a bookcase so you had to go thru the kitchen to get to the front bedrooms.
Over time they added, modified and upgraded the house (they were a large family), first consistently with the style of the house but later less so, eventually with all families kids grow up and out of the house, they moved to Utah. So I dunno what the status of the house is now.

Stephen
Modern Guru

Re: the mock mays....

Postby Stephen » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:58 am

Stephen Meade

and

Cliff May Homeowner

hoss
Modern Groupie

Postby hoss » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:48 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:41 pm

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:06 am

Stephen Meade

and

Cliff May Homeowner

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:43 am

hoss
Modern Groupie

Postby hoss » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:03 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:41 pm

they also teamed up for some cool houses in Pacific Palisades, renovated by Marmol-Radziner. Similar to Cliff May's style for the time.

I would like to learn more about Pardee-Phillips. They seem quite prolific for the period with large tracts through out the west. Even Eichler struggled building in LA when headquartered in SF.

Builder George Pardee (not sure if he's the same) built a larger Cliff May prefab house in 1958, published as a Parade Home in Oct '58 'Popular Mechanics' magazine

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:32 pm

I believe George Pardee is one and the same as Pardee-Phillips. I don't know of the nature of his specific business association with Phillips, but the company--or at least Pardee's end of it--was acquired by paper/lumber giant Weyerhauser in the late '60s and still operates Pardee Homes in the same markets (Southern California and Las Vegas) where it has been building homes since the 1920s and 1950s, respectively.
Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:43 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”