My soon to own 1954 MCM

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
esque
Modern Groupie

My soon to own 1954 MCM

Postby esque » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:20 am

This is my first post but have been a lurker for some time.

My wife and I have been driving by this house for nearly 10 years. We live a street down from this house. We said if it ever went up for sale we'd get it and it did and we are! We get the keys on Wednesday.

The only pictures I have so far are of the exterior or looking through the windows. I will get some interior pics as soon as I can. For the most part everything is still 1954 inside; the built-ins, wood siding inside, the fire pit in the kitchen, etc. We are going to 'modernize' it but in a good way. This house is located in Burlington, WA, about 90 miles north of Seattle.

Here's the flickr set link:

Here's a few pics from the set of 15:

johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby johnnyapollo » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:53 am

Wow! Very nice - looks very intact and original. I'm looking forward to you're moving-in pics.

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

classic form
Special Secret Modern Agent
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby classic form » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:09 am

You must be freaking out right now, sounds like it happened pretty quickly. Beautiful house, congratulations! Can't wait to see more pics.

jakabedy
Modern Master

Postby jakabedy » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:16 am

Gorgeous place! And it looks huge. A split level? Can't wait to see more pics.
1920s Bungalow Gal turned MCM Maven

My Blog: http://magiccitymodern.blogspot.com/

SoMo
Modern Socialite

Postby SoMo » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:34 am

Wow! Who knew Burlington was so darn cool? (I used to work for a
company that has a store there.)
Congratulations and welcome to the forum. Post more pics when you can.

lasquirrel
Modern Master

Postby lasquirrel » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:40 am

great house very beautiful!!!!! Congrats! :cheers:
Sheryl

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:02 pm

esque
Modern Groupie

Postby esque » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:08 am

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

@johnnyapollo: We were SO happy to see that a lot of the original design intent and aesthetics were left as intended. I can't wait to show pictures of the interior.

@classic form: Yes it happened very quickly. Basically, a 'FSBO' sign went up on a Friday, we saw it that day made a contingent offer, my wife who is a RE agent listed our house.... now a few months later and all is well.

@jakabedy: Yes it's a split. When you walk into the entry, on your right are stairs going up to the 3 bed, 2 bath and going down into the bonus basement room, utility, and another bedroom. The kitchen, dining, and living space is on the main level.

@SoMo: Well... If you mean 'cool' by the looks of this house then there isn't very much 'cool' around here. There's lots of early 1900's farm houses and a bunch of late 60s and 70s homes, both of which I don't care for. In the county there are a few houses that I would consider 'cool' but really there's not much here.

Well my next post will be of the interior pics.

-brian

miss kiny
Modern Fan

Postby miss kiny » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:34 am

that is an awesome house! congratulations! :)

DFWmidmodfan
Modern Socialite

Postby DFWmidmodfan » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:07 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:52 pm

"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:56 pm

nice original condition. who's the architect?

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

It's

Postby modfan » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:30 am

An excellent blank slate that you don't have to unmulddle. You're very lucky. Post more pics!!!

esque
Modern Groupie

Postby esque » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:27 pm

Okay, I got to take some pictures last Friday before we began our move into the house this weekend.

Here's the link again for the flickr set:

We won't be starting any serious remodeling until next year sometime. Also, we found out yesterday that the plumbing is clogged and needs some help. There's no evidence of a main clean out anywhere around the perimeter so in goes the camera tomorrow morning.

@Joe: the architect is Donald M. Wilson of Seattle. I've tried to do some internet searching but didn't come up with anything. If anyone has any information on this architect or knows how to do some sleuthing please let me know.

Sputnikmoss
Modern Master

Postby Sputnikmoss » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:58 pm

Your place is gorgeous! OMG! Thanks for sharing. :cheers:
Sputnik Housewares...Jetset furnishings from the Atomic Age!

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:10 pm

it is just stunning. i liked your new home when i first saw it.
it seems to be an individual. unless you can find similar homes by the same builder/architect in your area.
absolutely love it and hope you hang in here to share it.
possible that it is first owner designed? or a talented builder that got the plans signed off?
our house was designed by an artist/cabinet maker, so the internet search was dead-end. he teamed up with
a builder and built a hundred or so and made a good run of it. smart and well designed floor plans. good use
of materials, teak cabinets, (built-ins in the baths using off-cuts of cedar), but no information about him.

you may hit some dead ends, but the hunt is fun. keep at it. a clue is around every corner. i'm still hunting.

DFWmidmodfan
Modern Socialite

Postby DFWmidmodfan » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:34 pm

Eric Green's DFW mid-mod site:
www.cosmicool.com

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”