Hello, from a new Streng owner

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
miss kiny
Modern Fan

Hello, from a new Streng owner

Postby miss kiny » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:10 pm

We are moving into our new 1963 Streng home in about 2 weeks. I am so excited that we found one to buy. I was getting nervous that we may end up in something other than a streng, but it worked out!

Anyhow, hello....

here are a few pictures.

We have already scheduled someone to come out and scrape the popcorn ceiling.... I really wish it had the original exposed beams still. Any idea on how to get back to the original beams or is it more energy efficient to leave the insulation and ceilings alone? We will be the second owners of this home. All the old touches are still there.... the asbestos lino (covered with carpet), the original lamps etc.... I am so excited about this... Sadly not a skylight to be found though? Can those be added back in? I have so many questions.... ;) I'll try to stay brief and not over whelm you all.

jeffro108
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

congrats on the new home

Postby jeffro108 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:11 pm

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:32 pm

miss kiny
Modern Fan

Postby miss kiny » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:54 pm

pinetree
Modern Socialite

Postby pinetree » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:45 pm

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:09 am

Congrats on the new home. Looks like it will be a great place to live.

Is this your house?

Love that corner fireplace! :D

miss kiny
Modern Fan

insides and more hellos

Postby miss kiny » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:37 am

yep, that's the one! :)

and hello to the fellow sacramento streng owner.... I can't wait to see your place. :)

I feel like a kid the last week of school.... I can barely concentrate or settle down to do anything, I am so excited. I added a flickr album, shots of the inside). It is still staged and has all the furnishings from the original owner. My sons (6 and 8) took some of the photos with a big dslr, heavy.... so a lot of them are crooked.

So let me know what you all think. We are taking out money for remodeling, updates, fixes, whatever.... and in the back back in the corner under the trees we a putting a "modern shed" (google it) for an art studio that will match the lines of the house but give us some much needed studio space.

I am glad the fire place hasn't been painted. The popcorn is being scraped. We don't know what to do with the floor though.

Miguel
Special Secret Modern Agent

Re: insides and more hellos

Postby Miguel » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:56 pm

miss kiny
Modern Fan

Slab polishing!!!!!!

Postby miss kiny » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:17 pm

WOW! Miquel! nice! That is our first idea... We really love that look so much. We are wondering with it being the asbestos lino and we have kids is this too dangerous a thing to do? I know it's not friable asbestos, but it still seems messy. Ideally that would be pefect!

Our other idea is recycled rubber flooring.... ? It comes in a high gloss look as well and is pretty cool.

miss kiny
Modern Fan

Slab polishing!!!!!!

Postby miss kiny » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:20 pm

WOW Miquel! nice! That is our first idea... We really love that look so much. We are wondering with it being the asbestos lino and we have kids is this too dangerous a thing to do? I know it's not friable asbestos, but it still seems messy. Ideally that would be perfect!

Our other idea is recycled rubber flooring.... ? It comes in a high gloss look as well and is pretty cool.

miss kiny
Modern Fan

Slab polishing!!!!!!

Postby miss kiny » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:21 pm

WOW Miquel! nice! That is our first idea... We really love that look so much. We are wondering with it being the asbestos lino and we have kids is this too dangerous a thing to do? I know it's not friable asbestos, but it still seems messy. Ideally that would be perfect!

Miguel
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Miguel » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:30 pm

We were very careful doing it, but it was all worth it.
We were lucky in the sense that the tiles popped out without any effort, but for some people this is a hard process and the tiles break. Used spray bottles to keep the area wet while doing it, and of course, HEPA mask, gloves and overalls used during the process. To remove the mastic, Bean-e-doo is the best choice. You can find a lot of information on this board if you do a search on VAT removal.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”