Theme and variations II

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Theme and variations II

Postby SDR » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:37 pm

Image 12.18.94

Image 1.15.95

Image 1.24.95

Image 1.24.95

Image 1.24.95

Image 12.31.96

Image 1.1.97

Image 3.30.98

Image 4.4.98

Image 6.28.98

Image 6.29.98

Image 6.30.98

Image 11.30.98

Image 7.3.99

Image 7.3.99

"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

dilettante
Most Illustrious Grand Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby dilettante » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:34 am

The drawings are delightful! These have a bit of the Auld Brass wall angles to them.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:24 am

Thanks. Yes; Auldbrass is angled at 10 degrees and most of my experiments are drawn at 15 degrees but the resemblance is undeniable. I assume that the triangular interior volume created by the canted "studs" can be used creatively for storage and other furnitectural functions. (The smaller and darker framing diagrams at 1.15.95 show the inner member as vertical rather than canted, which would be desirable under certain conditions, including fully-glazed walls and/or at doors, etc.)

I prefer not to see oddly-angled reflections so the glass is typically kept vertical.

SDR

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:54 pm

Rockland, let's see more of your furniture !

SDR

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:31 am

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:02 am

In regard to landscape, I learned something only two days ago about Wright's "first take" on the matter by re-reading a basic text, "The Natural House." He makes plain that his early houses were intended to appear to sit ON the flat prairie soil; he brought the ("damp") basement up to ground level (in a few cases) and made a strong molding or water table for the house to sit on (he writes elsewhere of moving the house wall from the outside to the inside edge of the foundation wall). Perhaps it was only after he began to confront more interesting terrain that the house began to grow "out of the ground, into the light" -- as he later put it.

Here is an early Chicago-area Wright design that seems to ignore an irregular topography:

I very much like the look of a building sitting in a "moat" of crushed rock, curbed in some way from the surrounding greenery and with the masonry of the base of the house rising from it.

SDR
Last edited by SDR on Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:20 pm

i had no idea FLW had such thoughts. interesting. seems to almost have a love/hate relationship with
nature...i like to see it but i don't want to touch it. nature, you wild beast.

(my lower level is tucked into that damp beast)

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:24 pm

Image photos by Richard J Herber

The Max Hoffman house, Rye, NY, 1955

SDR
Last edited by SDR on Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:55 pm

stunning house. though i have a strong urge to color in the outlined chase of stone.
and then part of me likes it because of its crisp clean line. maybe shale slate instead
of stone meeting
up with a large slate patio that is visible from the corner like a large shadow on the lawn.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:07 pm

Yes, there are many possible variations on this theme. I agree that the stone curb is a little too obvious or prominent. It should certainly not rise above the level of the grass, I think.

I'd also be happier with a somewhat narrower "moat" -- it could certainly vary in width depending on circumstances, too.

When I last saw this house, almost fifty years ago, it had a pink crushed granite driveway. The color today looks somewhat darker (see first photo).
It would be ideally Wrightian to have all masonry on the property derived form the same source -- but there are many other choices available, of course.

SDR

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:01 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:43 pm

Tsk-tsk -- now don't get carried away. I don't really observe my birthdays; I guess Bender forgets that. But he's a sentimental old bucket. . .

SDR

dilettante

Postby dilettante » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:42 pm

dilettante

Postby dilettante » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:45 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:16 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:41 pm

I added an example of the house-ON-the ground to the relevant post above.

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:35 pm

not really worthy to post after your drawings but you asked for some of our home-made
furniture.
the OPO's had a slat bench here. we wanted something strong. so we built this before we moved in.
the oak slabs were free so to fit them in i stained them in a deep ebony, (tea, vinegar old school mix)
oak is not fitting with mcm, so ebony worked.
very strong and works well in the entry. could dance on it or change a shoe without a wiggle.
made the planter stands as well. (kept loosing e-bay bullet planter bids) so we made simple X cross joints
to mimic the pots in reclaimed cedar planks.
it does not look so beefy in real life.
i think had they left the custom nakashima sideboard, nothing we tossed around would be
so out of place.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:01 pm

Oh, yummy ! That looks great. Yes, I bet it is sturdy. . .

Keep 'em coming. I'm getting an idea about what you like; maybe I'll give you drawings for a new dining table (if you need one); I can see you'd do a great job of building it. But don't stop now. . .

SDR

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:16 pm

the entry is pretty empty, 12 x 18. so the bench and planter are all that is there. (dirty dog nose juice
glass)... but some nice fall leaves!
this photo was meant to show my ugly door knob...and exterior thirsty wood.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:32 pm

Yum -- fall colors and good wood.

Here's mine:

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:50 pm

SDR, we will build 10 tables till one works! this house speaks for itself. we are still listening...
i do like visual strength, but light in construction? huh?
i'm making a toy today. straight to the prototype. i work it out full scale usually. a chair a day.
(i'm using some scary time off...writer's strike)

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:52 pm

oooh, chair landscape.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:59 pm

Lotsa models here. Dusting is hell -- and I can't get to Bender to do it.

I like your rocking toy. When is it "due" ?

I have dozens and dozens of tables of planks in various configurations (a number fold a la gate-leg) drawn -- a few modeled. I seem to require something "different" to happen in the middle of the table -- usualy a piece of glass, so there is "penetration" of the form and the structure is more visible.

Are you always up this late ?

SDR

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:15 pm

pizza-box club chair

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:23 pm

oh, i don't sleep much. always in my studio. 'bedtime s*cks'.
even as a kid i would sneak out to the den and watch movies late at night.

(toy chair is for thanksgiving)

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:27 pm

Ha ! Love it, dude.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:47 pm

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:33 pm

show off...
that is exquisite.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:32 am

Hey, I'm only trying to keep up. Your Pizza Box Club Chair belongs in a museum. Rietveld, Schindler, Colombo, Lichtenstein AND Warhol, eat your hearts out. And: a friend long ago knocked me out by prototyping that seating posture -- I was blown away by the comfort !

Today is Fireplace Day at T+V II.

dilettante

Postby dilettante » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:13 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”