Theme and variations II

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby SDR » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:25 pm

The fireplace file, as assembled (in almost perfect chronological order) by Bender:

Image 11.30.85

Image 2.20.91

Image 7.31.95

Image 9.26.97

Image 9.29.97

Image 10.30.97

Image 10.31.98

Image 1.25.00

Image 2.6.00

Image 1.31.00

Image 3.11.00

Image 3.11.00

Image 9.24.03

Image 12.16.03

Image 12.18.03

Image 1.4.04

Image 1.22.04

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby SDR » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:30 pm

Interesting, dilettante -- that's the same house ? I'd like to see other examples, too. I'm really surprised that Wright, with his love of Japanese architecture and of the "desirable alternative," wouldn't have used the rain chain. I'm not aware of a single Wright house that was built with them.

SDR

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:21 pm

i've never actually seen a rain-chain in action. and i would think Wright would embrace the technology. (ancient technology i would guess)
do they really soften the blow of a good downpour?.
i could see using one when i re-do the back deck/garden. must be many choices. and something
unusual other than off the shelf.

fireplaces. another passion. maybe they should be T&V III. (my brain is full)
T&V IV, chairs!

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:45 pm

Okay. . .I've got some weird chairs.

I was hoping this would be on page two; page one was getting full.

Rain chains are too rare. It's just another way to lead run-off to the ground, though you can't (don't have to) make them do any bends.

I'm not sure who makes special chains; usually they have somewhat larger links than typical hardware ? I also don't know what metals are best, though I suppose bronze -- or aluminum ? -- would be good.

SDR

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:48 pm

We have rainchains on our house...The water kind of splatters all over as it comes down. I don't know if this is normal but it doesnt run down in a nice stream.

thought about getting some big loop ones like these, maybe the little chain doesnt work?? http://www.rainchains.com

anyone have any advice or rain chains on their house?

Beautiful sketches by the way, keep it coming!

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:48 pm

I now know how Bender's mind works!
"Better Living Through Modernism"

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:53 pm

Hmm -- http://www.rainchains.com/link.html -- copper, brass, aluminum and stainless.

Thanks ! I don't know what the parameters of performance are: how the different patterns react to different amounts of water. They should have videas of the different chains in use. . .?

SDR

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:56 pm

MRU -- well I hope you can tell me -- I'm the one that has to live with him, and I'll take any help I can get. :roll:

Mr Cranky-Clanky is what my friends call him -- behind his back !

SDR

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:04 pm

we should open a rain-chain post.
they confuse me, though i certainly understand the concept. but with such monster rain storms we have, i'm not sure
if it is the right thing. good drainage close the house is key. we have a good gutter system. we didn't put it in but
neighbors always have trouble in big storms and we don't. i shall not mess with it, even if it is a bit visually unappealing.
a good exterior renovation with up-to-date drainage would solve that. a splashy rain-chain would flood our half lower level.

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:10 pm

We live in Seattle so i would think that if there was going to be a big issue with the drainage thing it would have reared its ugly head but so far the basement seems water and mildew free. Now if there was only a modern looking rain barrel I would buy it!

Cmon , how bout a sketch of the modern rain barrel...

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:27 pm

I think we want to let the water into a recess and thence to a subsoil drain that leads away from the house ?

SDR

johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby johnnyapollo » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:53 am

My rain barrel isn't too bad - it's semi-cylindrical with a flat side so it hugs the wall - 80 gallons. The only thing I don't like about the design is the outflow spigot needs to be changed/re-engineered. I've got flex coming from the downspout so I can redirect the water to an extra unperforated draintile to get the water away from the house. The barrel has come in real handy in Atlanta's recent drought.

http://www.cleanairgardening.com/80gararaba.html
When I got this guy it was on sale with free shipping - I've been using it for about 4 years.

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

dilettante
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby dilettante » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:09 am

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:27 am

it seems nature and its forces, the random powerful storms, were mysterious to some hillside homes of the 50's and their builders/architects.
these houses needed to live a little, and speak for themselves. both houses show later improvements. photo one, a more extensive
excavation, and possibly perforated burried drainpipe. and maybe a waterproofing modern material added to the concrete block.
(i've uncovered a few experiments on our hillside wall, ...stone, sand, and plastic sheeting one foot under)
photo two, my dads approach, just toss it out a little further. with deep overhangs, i'm sure it works. simple solution for that instance.
and my mother would never allow her plantings disturbed.
i can only speculate that the thought was with a 3 foot overhang, most moisture would fall far enough away. seems once a year it is
not enough. (i'll need to do a version of photo one)
similar, our cabinet maker/builder/designer's attention to detail in wood and structure are stunning, but missed the boat on lighting...
...and fireplace construction. (see!, i'm getting back to the fireplace SDR)

i especially connect with 9.24.03. , a human interaction but not forced. seems very natural to include a built-in seating element to
break up the box of most fireplaces. very hard to design. and you have done that over and over...

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”