today's project, (prototype) finishing?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

today's project, (prototype) finishing?

Postby rockland » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:52 pm

i woke up with this idea. we're spending the holiday with friends that have a
small child. (1 1/2?). thought i would make a toy.
i seem to be building something new every day...and avoiding some un-fun household chores.
6 am till noon it changed 10 times, but it may work.
(of course the test is the kid actually liking it, and every child is different)
the prototype...and i'll post more pics if it works...
she is scandinavian and the cute boy is a healthy blonde. i'm trying to make it fit
into their mcm house. i'll saddle the seat out of scrap cowhide. the ring is a piece of
scrap mahogany. it needs to be strong, so i'll set it a bit deeper.

the question is, i need a quick finish. i don't think he eats or chews things now.
(all the kid and lead scares.) i thought of rubbing on some mineral oil and walking away.
any thoughts? who has kids and what would you want the finish to be?

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:09 pm

Rockland....love your rocking horse...very nicely executed!

I have a four year old and a 13 month old. They both love my (I let them play with it) Creative Playthings rocking horse

The trademark CP reddish orange paint is likely lead based....but hey, it looks great.

The biggest key is a smooth spliter free surface and to make sure the toy has no sharp edges or corners

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:18 pm

we have had that photo for a year on our desk. and we can steam build. but time hit us, and we
started looking around the shop for ideas last night. (i even have a few large wooden knobs)
friends have babies and i want to make stuff and then they are 10.
at least this holiday i'll have something unique. and i can adjust the scale if he is ten!
i would actually like one for me....elder human scale.

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:47 pm

i should have let it rock more extreme. got cold feet and based it on my club tab-chair. (stacked in photo one)
thought a child might rock over the edge. so i made it gentle. looking forward to thursday and the real test....

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:24 pm

I think yours looks great! Another of my favorite more figurative rocking horses is the Kay Bojesen horse below:

johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby johnnyapollo » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:30 pm

I'd do a coat of BLO (Boiled linseed Oil) to bring out the colors and warm it up a bit, then when it's completely dry follow up with Waterlox. A couple of ragged on layers with some light sanding (using 4# steel wool) should do the trick. Waterlox is non-toxic when dry and gives it a hard finish, that's easy to apply.

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:41 pm

i had planned on linseed oil. and still might use that. but the hint on waterlox is appreciated. i only have two days,
and i prefer a cure time, but what matters is the cute boy fits on it! the parents could hide it for a couple days of
cure time...

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:33 pm

tung oil may cure faster? my tests show i may be in luck. 2 coats in 24 hrs.
(it is just a fun gift, and we will re-design no doubt)

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:35 pm

did manage three coats of tung oil, one last night, two today.
fitting the saddle. i cut it large and deciding on its scale. attach tomorrow.
it's looking like a cow, but that's ok.
next photo will be the real test. i hope he likes it.
already designing the deconstructed airplane rocker...all my friends are having babies.
i should use baltic birch. or bamboo ply.

johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby johnnyapollo » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:53 pm

There's a cabinet grade plywood that some of the Home Depots are carrying that's not too bad and much cheaper than BB. The exterior veneers are very thin though so you need to be careful that you don't sand through it.

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern

http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:05 pm

fortunately i never need to buy materials. i recycle from various projects. otherwise in a dumpster. tho we do give
big waste to building recycle centers, Materials for the Arts etc. i tend to use anything for a mock-up but they end
up being the actual. prototype, finish maybe, then move on to another idea. always a few at a time. i guess what
i'm saying is i should use better materials for the mock-up. though i may not hack at it as much, or change it around if the
materials are fancy...even if it does not have a dollar sign for me personally, i have to respect a
nice vintage piece of mahogany.

Jerad
Modern Master

Postby Jerad » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:07 am

I really think one of these is cool. Could you make me one for christmas :D
It needs to be scaled to hold a 6'2" 285 pound midwesterner. Keep up the good work.

Jerad
www.drummondhome.blogspot.com

luther
Modern Master

Postby luther » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:33 am

Came across this while surfing:

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:31 am

that was the inspiration!
i saw that on sunday, and woke up with a need to make one.

the saddle is beautiful and what is it? 800 dollars?

i can see now my first reaction was less curves and a handle.
stronger angles and a simple round ring to soften and balance the
triangle.
and of course the challenge of making it in an afternoon with stuff around the house.
(rope tail was a tie-down scrap i found in the back of the truck)

if i ever come across a vintage saddle at a yard sale, i'm going to make one
for me.

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:27 pm

it is ready for tomorrow...shortend the tail, happier, and West System marine epoxy on the ring for
extreme bond, and a back block and deep screw..Bob the dog, bred for calendars, follows the camera and is
usually cropped out, but what the heck...

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:08 pm

Well, that's swell. Hope the little guy has a ball with it !

Happy Turkey Day. :D

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:34 pm

success with the rocker.
hour one...farm animals thru ring.
hour two...saddle off, more animals.
hour three...going for a ride.
instincts were correct with the gentle rocking.
that age is a bit drunk in the movement arena. 16 months. good walk and run ability, but often
wobbles and weight first and crash. just getting the balance thing down.
[img][img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2128/2064289912_2cde5eeca0.jpg[/img]
[img][img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2226/2063497037_2614c22f6c.jp[/img]g[/img]
Image[/img]

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:54 pm

Ha ! Happy days. . .

Hope you sanded that saddle area well. He didn't like the cowhide ?

What a hoot ! Congrats. . .

SDR :cheers:

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”