Gas Fireplace Inserts

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
jesgord
Modern Master

Gas Fireplace Inserts

Postby jesgord » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:44 am

I know the topic of gas fireplaces, gas vs. real, firepits, etc have been discussed many times in here. I've even gone back and read through all the old threads.

That said, my home has back to back fireplaces-one in the living room (that will continue to operate in its original wood burning capacity) and one in the master bedroom (which we plan to convert to gas/non wood burning with a remote controll)

Most of the false log inserts I have come across, I find disagreeable. I'm also not crazy about the glass options... as I prefer something a bit more organic

I have come across these gas stones. Wondering if anyone has used these, what people think of them, and am also open to any other suggestions.

Looking forward to hearing what you all have to say.

synthetic space
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby synthetic space » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:23 pm

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:40 pm

synthetic space
Modern Master

Postby synthetic space » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:47 pm

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:08 pm

Taking the set you link to $173.00 adding a burner with custom embers $159.99 a manual safety controll (needed for remote controll) $124.99, and remote upgrade kit $208.00 you get a total of $666.97. Thats about 1/2 of the price of the one I found.

I like these too:

the variation in color is nice, methinks.

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:46 pm

i like the rocks. especially in a bedroom. and a more organic feel.
we use our bedroom more than most. good reading light and two comfy chairs.
no fireplace, but if we did have one, i still don't think we would tend a wood fire. it would be a rare moment.
i like fire-glass, but would not work in our house either.
i think you found a nice solution.

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:22 am

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:42 am

MCMDSM
Modern Fan

Postby MCMDSM » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:09 pm

I installed a Travis insert with Ember-fyre technology. I love all the asethetic contemporary ones, but our living room has floor to ceiling glass walls and I really wanted something that looked decent and would kick out serious heat. It has a blower and looks the most real of any of the similar direct vent inserts. It cost about $4000 installed in my hearth.

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:17 am

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:09 am

:? i'm stumped as well...it's snowing right now, alot, mixing with rain.
our household discussion is what if we lose power for longer than a few hours.
(we do have a generator). but an insert woodstove is always in our thoughts. extra efficient
heat source. instead, i'll stick to the wood w/ chain screen for now. and remember to crack a window
on the start-up. (thanks joe, i was a rusty boy-scout last winter)and i now have better seasoned wood.
but you have a wood burning. looking for the bedroom. if you could find a decent-looking stick....
i'd have to see it in person though. i've made enough decisions that later became 'what was i thinking?)
especially painful when its an expensive choice.

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:43 pm

In the never ending search for gas fireplace inserts I came across these- "fire jacks". Seem to only be available in the UK.....They come in black or white...I wonder if you could mix them up?

JXBrown
Modern Master

Postby JXBrown » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:38 pm

I like the rocks, too.

However, these "fire ribbons" are kind of cool and minimalist:

Dr. Swanky
Modern Socialite

Efficient gas fireplace?

Postby Dr. Swanky » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:38 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”