Julius Shulman and Cliff May

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Julius Shulman and Cliff May

Postby Joe » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:21 am

I missed this exhibition, but recently found this LA Times article.

Photos 1 and 2 Shulman is shooting a Cliff May house. I will note the caption is incorrect. The Cliff May prefab house is in West Covina, not Long Beach.

Cool pix

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/ne ... tnews-arts

You can find courtyard shots by Shulman of this same house 'The Ranch House' by Allen Hess.

BOXOUTBM
Special Secret Modern Agent

Re: Julius Shulman and Cliff May

Postby BOXOUTBM » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:22 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Re: Julius Shulman and Cliff May

Postby Joe » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:25 am

home_boy
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby home_boy » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:33 am

There's still time. The exhibit continues until January 20, 2008.

In addition to the wonderful photographs, there's a great hi-def video of Shulman reflecting on his career and recalling just how he made that photo.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:46 am

thanks home boy. I think you need to do a recon and locate this house (of group of houses) in West Covina. Not far from you, right?

Connie
Modern Master

Postby Connie » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:35 pm

These photos were also published in the book "Photographing Architecture And Interiors" by Julius Shulman, page 96. There's a description, too:

"Beverages are not the only things subject to instant preparation as is evident from the photograph top left [which is photo #1 in Joes's link], though not from the final photographs (below) [which is photo #2, plus an additional patio photo] which were an assignment for Good Housekeeping magazine. The portable garden was also used in the patio of the same house, as shown below. Residence West Covina, California. Cliff May, Builder, Chris Chaote, Architect."

home_boy
Modern Master

Postby home_boy » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:18 pm

Here's an excerpt from an interview with Julius Shulman recalling how he took this photograph.

Interview with Julius Shulman
Conducted by Taina Rikala De Noreiga
At the Artist's home in Hollywood Hills (Los Angeles), California
January 12 & 20, February 3, 1990

Interview Excerpt
JANUARY 12, 1990: Tape 1, side A

JULIUS SHULMAN: ...We did an assignment in later years for Good Housekeeping magazine, one of Cliff May's low-cost $12,000 tract houses, out El Monte, Covina, somewheres. Good Housekeeping had arranged with Cliff May for us to take pictures of this particular house. It was supposed to have been ready. We got out there that morning. There wasn't a stick of landscaping. Not a shrub.

TAINA RIKALA DE NOREIGA: Hmm.

JULIUS SHULMAN: And it was the deadline, in this case. Somebody in the house told us, "There's a nursery down the road here." So I went to the nursery and rented some canned plants--five gallon cans of roses and geraniums, whatever they had in bloom--and set them up in front of the house and framed the picture with these plants, and we broke off a branch from a walnut tree that was growing nearby and fastened the branches to a lightstand so we could frame the picture with an arching branch to look like there was a tree there. And in the finished pictures, the house is perfectly landscaped.

TAINA RIKALA DE NOREIGA: [laughs] That's a good story.

JULIUS SHULMAN: Then in the patio we'd move the same "trees" and branches and plants and cans in front of the camera. We cut more branches, and made it look like the house was landscaped.

TAINA RIKALA DE NOREIGA: With the consistency of landscaping, the same...

JULIUS SHULMAN: The same material--right!--the same plant. Now when I produced the pictures... I was going to New York about that time. I remember bringing them to Mary Kraft. Mary was the architectural interior editor of Good Housekeeping, and she thought the pictures were lovely, as she said, and after the story came out--at least I was wise enough to restrain myself--after the story came out, she sent me a copy of the magazine, and she said, "We're very proud of what you did for us." I wrote back--I shouldn't have--I wrote back to Mary Kraft, I said, "Dear Mary. Thank you very much for the nice presentation you made of the Cliff May house. I thought I'd let you know for future reference, for photographers and architects, that if they come to a house and there's a deadline, there's no landscaping, this is what we did." And I sent her a picture. My assistant took a photograph of me with my camera. It's in my book. Yeah, it's in the book. A picture of me with the landscaping, with the cans, the plants, showing how we framed the picture. She wrote back, angry, in her letter, "Julius, how could you! If I had known that you falsified the landscaping, we would never have published the house."

TAINA RIKALA DE NOREIGA: Huh! What a surprise.

Here's a link to the entire interview:

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:21 pm

home_boy
Modern Master

Postby home_boy » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:18 am

JULIUS SHULMAN ON YOUTUBE

Good grief, this man is remarkable. He even remembers what he had for lunch on a particular day 40 years ago!

Chimay

Postby Chimay » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:51 am

I've had the honor and pleasure of meeting him informally on several occasions, and rest assured - he's as witty and full of spirit and energy as ever. It's a lot of fun to talk with him.

Bill Krisel is one of his closest friends and they have lunch about every week. Bill was telling me that they drove to the Palm Springs Modernism show together last year from LA. One evening after dinner, Bill and his wife were tired and ready to head back to the hotel so they asked Julius if he was ready to go. But he was having a great time with a group of younger folks, laughing up a storm, and he told them to go on without him, and that he'd get a ride with someone later!
Friends don't let friends live in McMansions
House pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/88017382@N ... 387250721/

davidk6
Location: LA one month in winter and one month in summer; NJ suburbs of NYC the rest of the year

Postby davidk6 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:03 pm

Marxist Philosophy: "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

davidk6
Location: LA one month in winter and one month in summer; NJ suburbs of NYC the rest of the year

Postby davidk6 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:05 pm

Marxist Philosophy: "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:32 pm

cool video!

MCMDSM
Modern Fan

Modernism Rediscovered

Postby MCMDSM » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:14 pm

I got Modernism Discovered for Christmas this year (yes, we open early!) and it is amazing.

Huge, full color photos of amazing architecture all taken by Julius Schulman, heartbreaking because I know so many of the structures have likely been razed since.....the man is amazing!

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:37 pm

that is a great book. who ever borrowed mine, please return it soon :wink:

Dan O.
Modern Master

Postby Dan O. » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:45 pm

Was lucky enough to see the book(s) at a local store last weekend, what an awesome gift.

Dan O.
Modern Master

Postby Dan O. » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:48 pm

johnnyapollo

Postby johnnyapollo » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:07 am

I had pre-ordered the 3 vol hardcover set from Amazon -- got it early last week and it is awesome. With discounts it was $235 with free shipping. I couldn't make it to New York for the signing, but luckily my mother in law lives up there and didn't mind swinging by the Taschen store. She said he was very nice and interested in coming to Atlanta as he hadn't been before. She wanted to buy a set of the books for us and have them signed, then shipped but I prevailed in convincing her that it didn't make sense as I had already pre-ordered them (they were about a month late in delivery from Amazon). Mr Shulman did sign a couple of the promo cards they had there for me and my wife (the card is an ad for the book set). So I've at least got those for the collection to tip into the books. I really wish I had been able to fly up to meet him but it was too short of notice for me to get away.

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”