Landscaping and views

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
sumu
Modern Master

Landscaping and views

Postby sumu » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:37 am

There was an article in the Daily Breeze about Rancho Palos Verdes View Ordinance.

It involves neighbors who feel their view is impeded by trees or landscaping can compel their neighbors to remove or trim back landscaping.

http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/articles/12289451.html

Of course, recent transplants to the city are more likely to insist on the tree removals to increase their property values.

What do you all think?

AlcoaMCM
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby AlcoaMCM » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:20 am

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:33 pm

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:25 pm

wow. this is a touchy subject.

while alcoa has a point, how 'bouts i fly a confederate flag (i'm from the south and proud) and drag a recliner out on the porch (because the day is hard and it's my right to relax on my property)... and of course put a 'fridge on the porch ('cos i like some cold refreshment when relaxing on my property). perhaps i'll plant a tree or two which will drop leaves all over the neighborhood, especially on old man johnson's lawn. me clean them up? hardly. leaves fall. deal with it. hire someone to rake 'em if you can't do it yourself and i don't care about your fixed income -- i work hard and i'll do what makes me happy. oh. and i almost forgot the 1500W metal halide light which keeps folks away from my collection of rusty cars on blocks in the driveway.

hyperbole, of course, but in a society, it's a give and take of rights -- cooperation... not stonewalling. i like the mention of the mediator in the article. i'd love to hear some more specific about how she makes things work out. if folks thought about the best interests of all involved, we would need laws like this or others which presumably limit "personal freedom" (including seat-belt laws, cell-phone laws, etc.). with rights come responsibilities.

i'm personally for ordinances which keep things to the "ideal" under which they were designed. i didn't move into a modernist neighborhood where houses are designed purposefully not facing the street (creating a lack of streetside activity) only suffer the night-time transgressions of the rowdies across the street who like to party in their driveway or park a bus-sized RV in front of my house. at the same time i'd not move into a mountain community if i had a disdain for trees and wildlife. if i did move into a community known for it's views, i should think twice before planting and caring for a costal redwood.

i might also think twice about: getting a pitbull while living in a studio apartment... having a 9th kid while still on welfare... applying for a mortgage on a $750K house that might be tough to afford on a waiter's income (but the loan-guy said it was OK), etc... but that hasn't stopped others from doing the same claiming it was their personal right to do so...

but again, one person's 2-cents...

sdmod
Modern Master

Postby sdmod » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:08 pm

It is interesting to me I have a great view from my house and have trees all over my own property....trees are part of the view in my mind...I would not want to block the view in total but 'peek-a boo' type views through trees are nice in my mind.

Often mountain....city and ocean views are beyond things like....roofs....freeways....parking lots...etc. A few trees can improve most if not all views.

I certainly would not want to live in a place that limited the size of trees to 16 feet; that is absurd....what an ugly place that would be.

Tree Haters!

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:35 pm

Seems like the tree thing is all about placement and knowing what kind of tree should be where. In Washington State we have a lot of problems with huge forest trees being planted in residential areas and they just get too darn big and we have one big windstorm and theyre all over peoples roofs. (or is it rooves? like hooves? :) )
Problem is, not everyone is an expert landscaper who owns a house.

sumu
Modern Master

Postby sumu » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:51 pm

Doesn't a tree account for a 'view'? If I look out my window and there's a 40 year old tree there that I like, isn't that somewhat like the view of a mountain or ocean or city lights?

Part of the problem is that people buy homes not just to live in, but as an 'investment'. The 'investment' trumps friendly relationships with the neighbors. They value the property more.

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:10 pm

sumu
Modern Master

Postby sumu » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:47 pm

johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby johnnyapollo » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:03 am

If a tree actually contributes to a view, does that mean it can't be cut down? The arguement is preposterous and only fills the pockets of attorneys (nothing against them but I'd file this in the same cabinet as "class action suit" where everyone walks away with $1.06 exept the lawers).

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

googieagog
Modern Master

Postby googieagog » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:02 am

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:10 am

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:38 am

"Better Living Through Modernism"

synthetic space
Modern Master

Postby synthetic space » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:58 am

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:16 am

googieagog
Modern Master

Postby googieagog » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:39 am

It's true critters can do real damage. I had to devise a raccoon/squirrel catcher on my house's utility pole, to keep them from getting up on the roof & tearing into the soffits. As for the 300-year-old tree, I was editor of the local paper at the time. The lady of the house told our reporter that she was afraid squirrels would bite her newborn child. Unless the kid slept beneath a bird feeder, it's quite a reach to imagine how that might happen.

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:23 am

From experience, I can tell you that a new mother can imagine some really horrible things happening to her newborn. mother bear mentality...
She probably looks back and is a little :oops:
My sisters house was invaded by raccoons one year, they pushed down the can light in their babys room and she was about 18 months at the time. we rushed in when we heard the scratching and all she said was , "mouse? eyes?" Papa slept in her room with her that night, we were all a little freaked that they were going to fall through the ceiling on us in the middle of the night and scratch our eyes out :D

sumu
Modern Master

Postby sumu » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:05 pm

Maybe Rancho Palos Verdes trees could use these guys.

http://www.zombietime.com/oak_grove_tre ... niversary/

Then again, maybe not.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”