Replacing drapes on the cheap

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Dan O.
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Replacing drapes on the cheap

Postby Dan O. » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:17 am

The girlfriend is really giving me a hard time about the decaying drapes in my MCM apartment (holes starting to develop). If I mention it to the rental office they'll replace the current drapes with cheapo vertical blinds at best. I'd like to replace with same but I'm not about to dish out big bucks considering I'm renting and saving for a house. A long while back Futuragirl posted the following:

"if you are in las vegas - you can pick up blackout drapes very cheap (20 -35 a panel) at the hotel liquidators store on the corner of desert iinn and highland.
they sell the cast offs from hotels when they remodel. it's hit or miss what you'll find, but most are in very good condition and many have pleasing modernists look to them."

I'd drive to Vegas for a bargain if this place is still around, does anybody know of a similar type place around L.A.?

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:43 am

Not sure exactly what you want but good ol Jc Penny has lots and lots of styles of drapes, everything from modern to frilly and the great part is the prices are good.
Got the ones in the background, snazzy orange/rust color there for our basement...

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:30 pm

Ikea also has great prices on modernish drapes
scowsa

Dan O.
Modern Master

Postby Dan O. » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:22 pm

I guess the important thing is that they're pinch pleated, and being that it's a really inefficient use of fabric that tends to make such drapes expensive.

srk1941
Modern Master

Postby srk1941 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:38 pm

I agree with Izzy, JC Penney's seems like an odd choice, but they do have pinch pleated drapes at very reasonable prices, in lots of styles and colors and they're all ready made.
Steven Keylon
Village Green - National Historic Landmark

ch
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby ch » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:01 pm

Ikea also has some inexpensive fabrics. With a limited amount of sewing you could whip up some nice new curtains for very little money.

Dan O.
Modern Master

Postby Dan O. » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:04 pm

I had a look at Penney's online and yeah, the prices are pretty cheap; I'll stop by there tonight and see what's what. IKEA does have nice fabric patterns now and again but most of their stuff would need lining in order to provide night time privacy. In addition, trying to sew my own drapes sounds like a painfully slow way to drive myself insane; I'm afraid incredibly tedious tasks is where I draw the DIY line.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:26 pm

Do a Google search on: Hotel liquidators Los Angeles
I'd try calling the main one that just moved to Van Nuys from downtown.
They don't really show textiles at all, but I bet a call to them would
get you a referral. You can also try "Hotel linens" as a search. don't forget Goodwill as is stores. They sell fabric by the pound. I bet a lot of old drapes end up there.

Dan O.
Modern Master

Postby Dan O. » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:02 pm

Found this place in Van Nuys:

http://www.hotelsurplus.com/

They don't show any drapes online but it's indicated that they do have them, I'll drop by there on the weekend.

JC Penny's turned out to be a great source, a lot of the textures/colors would fit nicely with an MCM aesthetic. I half expected Penney's to have only a few tolerable choices but as it turns out they have a pretty wide selection to fit many price ranges, check them out if you haven't.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:20 am

oh - yeh... it's still there - they moved to an even bigger space - now on Wynn Road at Harmon.

I also have had ALOT of luck finding great drapes at estate sales.

roxy500
Modern Master

Postby roxy500 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:14 pm

Izzy, which drapes did you get? Our new backyard neighbors are such lookie-loos we are considering draping all of our back floor to ceiling windows and JCP might fit our budget...

Dan O.
Modern Master

Postby Dan O. » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:04 pm

Didn't get any yet Roxy, Penney's is having a ridiculous 60% -off sale or similar right now; even so I want to check out the liquidator place before I part with any money on my rental. I'm planning on checking out the liquidators on Saturday and will post any interesting developments. In the mean time, it wouldn't hurt to have an idea of what you want and stopping by Penney's anyway.

sumu
Modern Master

Postby sumu » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:48 pm

Has anyone tried Ebay? They do sell vintage drapes and curtains - I've bought some great ones on the cheap there.

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:37 pm

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:41 pm

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:49 pm

Here is a shot of our living room drapes.

Ok, so it is not my living room, it is from the long lost idea book i just dug up. I love these drapes and the system with the corner bend on the rod and the way they pleat. Makes drapes not look so, well, drapey... or maybe its just the furniture and gorgeous windows that are making me think that :? why are the last three posts by me? am i drape obsessed? (after years of hating drapes and trying to come up with something else other than i have tried to embrace them a little bit out of neccesity for privacy, warmth, and not being able to afford pricier solutions.)

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”