Mid-Century Window Treatments

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

Dan O.
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Dan O. » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:06 am

Back to the subject of window treatments, one of my gripes with vertical blinds is how they end up looking like a big sheet of plastic when closed for privacy. However, I once saw vertcal blinds where one edge of each blade cut on an undulating line, when backlit the result was reminiscent of that wacky sidewalk along the beach in Rio De Janiero:

http://aram.karalic.org/travel/2004_juz ... xx%5D.html

I briefly thought about how those blinds would look with alternating blades in contrasting colors (Pan Am blue and pale gray?).

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:11 am

vertical blinds remind me of what my parents have in their mobile home :(

best solution: proper landscaping

next best: simple canvas with grommets or hooks on a tension wire

next-next best: bamboo roll-ups

I just don't like window treatments blocking my view of nature. :wink:

Dan O.
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Dan O. » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:56 am

The only thing I'd be blocking from my vision would be:

1. The auto accident that happens on Los Feliz Blvd every 16 hours or so.

2. The constant stream of hipsters who unfailingly stare into my apartment whenever they walk by (I thought about drinking straight out of the bottle while in my "drawers", to give them a show).

3. The yellow stucco/green neon "cheese" building directly across the street.

Midlife Modern
Modern Socialite

Postby Midlife Modern » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:12 am

I agree with Joe. Vertical blinds remind me of a dentist office. They are too busy for a mid-century modern home.

Although, I love nature the glare from west facing floor to ceiling windows was too much for me so I installed bamboo shades outside from the overhang and translucent floor to ceilling panels inside. It helps keep the house cooler in the summer as well. I suspended the panels from an acrylic hollow rod—that way you don't see any window hardware. Probably, not authentic but it works for me.
P.S. The fact that they are translucent makes the house seem larger than if they were opaque.

Hey Dan O.
LOL!

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”