Our new atomic front door.... whadaya think 2

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Kahuna
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Our new atomic front door.... whadaya think 2

Postby Kahuna » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:41 am

*** i really don't know how else to describe it. i guess modern or mid century work too... i finally rapped up our bathroom project

and wanted to get to the front door before the cold weather (living in socal we have the luxury of a longer remodel season!!). i just finished it before turkey day but haven't been able to post til now...

anyway, here's our 1950's ranch with a new entry door. it's birch veneer door with a lumber core. i put on 10 coats of Epifanes and had to cut a hole for a 5" backset. it is the same type of door many of our neighbors have (minus the backset) so i know it's period correct. not sure if the door was replaced or the original owner had different taste.

we replaced the old door because the frame was shot (broken in at some point) and the door was sagging badly (see before pic) due to the fact there was no support on the hinge side (very little space between frame and glass blocks).

we have a definite starburst theme in our house so the doorbell and rosettes (i put one on the inside too cause we had it, and it complements out sputnik entry light) fit perfectly. i also have a nos nutone doorbell/clock that has a similar brass starburst that i'm waiting to rewire before i put up. these are all vintage hardware, what do you guys think? is our 1950's restoration staying on track, or am i pushing it...? :wink:

ps any suggestions on a ceiling mounted porch light that would work here, i'd love to hear them.

googieagog
Modern Master

Postby googieagog » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:28 am

johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby johnnyapollo » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:28 am

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

Luka
Modern Master

Postby Luka » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:59 pm

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

and

Postby modfan » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:03 am

Kahuna
Modern Fan

Postby Kahuna » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:55 pm

thanx for all the positive comments and suggestions!!

i was not intending to have a gloss finish on the door, i bought a quart of epifanes matte finish to use as the final coat. the problem is the matte really obscured the grain of the wood. compared to the gloss it made the door look kind've plastic. it's hard to explain but we really didn't like it (except for the fact it was dry in a few hours and not the24 hours the gloss took). so i put two more coats of gloss back over the matte (that's how i got 10 coats). thanx for the suggestion of the steel wool, i did sand between coats with the 0000 steel wool to remove any dust or high spots but we liked it better when the gloss was reapplied. i grew up with and around wood boats so i know how age affects the varnish and i think time is the only way to really achieve that look. for now the gloss is really not that noticeable (see closeup of doorknob) the camera flash exaggerates the shine...
i love the idea of using an interior fixture for the porch, i never thought of that!!!! that opens up a lot more options, thanx.

the offset deadbolt was something i searched everywhere for, and could not find anything that would work (i got a lot of "deer in the headlights" looks when i asked around though!!). i think they just didn't use deadbolts on these doors back in the day (definitely a different time). the only option i could think of was to mount it higher than normal. maybe someone here has a definite answer to this...:wink:

thanx modfan, we are big fans of the sputnik, luckily i've been collecting them before the crazy prices they are getting for them now. we currently have 4 different styles and sizes and have 2 more that are going up (all originals). we decorate them for the holidays, see below (our crappy camera does not do the justice)... :D :mr green:

Dan O.
Modern Master

Postby Dan O. » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:20 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:25 pm

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:35 pm

kahuna.
trying to add some sputnik to my home. yours is great.
love the holiday rendition.
i keep losing the e-bay bids for a ceiling mount like yours.
still reasonable, sort of.
our main entry, lower level, through my studio, is the 'anything goes'
area. needs some sputnik kick.
your improvements are great and dead-on improvements. good job.
post your holiday stuff on the x-mas thread!

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”