Changing Doors from Colonial to Modern

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Vippie
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Changing Doors from Colonial to Modern

Postby Vippie » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:54 am

DFWmidmodfan
Modern Socialite

Postby DFWmidmodfan » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:35 am

As a woodworker, here would be my concerns regarding applying any form of veneer over a raised panel door:

* The thickness of the veneer might or might not affect the closing of the doors

* There will be weak areas behind the veneer formed by the raised panels...where the panel bevels into the door will form a void between it and the veneer. It's possible this area could be punched through (such as an inadvertent toe kick) if a backer material is not applied to these areas

* Adding veneer to both sides of the door will increase both the weight and overall thickness of the door. Again, my main concern would be with the exterior face...if it is too thick it might bind against the top and sides of the door jamb. It would be advisable to measure the existing gap between present door exterior face and door jamb and see if your chosen veneer is too thick or not

Suggestion: blank solid core doors, IIRC (haven't priced one recently) aren't nearly as expensive as premade, prehung doors with raised panels or other frilly features. Seems to me you could pick up two flat panel (blank) solid core doors, perhaps with a luan veneer or a masonite face, and then stain or paint them once you hang them yourself. You'll have to mortise the hinges, drill for the door lock hardware and handle, peepsight, etc., but in the end you'll save a bundle over a prehung door set and you'll be shed of those raised panel doors (which you could donate to Habitat for Humanity or the like if they are in good shape).
Eric Green's DFW mid-mod site:
www.cosmicool.com

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:17 pm

vippie, doors is one of the more popular subjects on Lotta Livin. do use the search function of this board to find past discussions on door replacement. you'll find great information!

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:47 pm

sounds like you are looking for solid slab doors.
hit or miss, but you could try a renovators or architectural salvage. and you have your original doors to
trade. quite a few listed.
http://www.buildingreuse.org/resources/ ... icle_id=30

DFW points out the problems in trying to apply a veneer. can be done, but tricky.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:25 pm

Any chance of seeing photos (including close-ups) of your doors ?

Are the raised panels visible on the interior as well -- or are the interior surfaces flat ? There are several different ways that your doors could be constructed -- and thus several different solutions to modifying them.

One solution is to remove any protruding moldings and then apply a piece of 1/4" exterior-grade material that stops short of the edges, to avoid contact with the exterior door stops. Or, those stops can be removed and relocated to clear the added thickness of the doors. If you're lucky, the center portions of the raised panels are at the same plane as the stiles and rails. . .

It can't be denied that hanging new doors properly is not a breeze -- nor that this is the best way to have flat and smooth doors !

SDR

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:21 pm

While hanging new doors is not easy, it's not that hard. A jig can be purchased that will allow you to use a router to do the hinges. You say you are pretty handy. Do you have a router? A good drill with large hole saw bits? the door latch hardware may or may not be within your skill level depending on what they are. I have replaced a few doors in my day. I like to use the existing door as a template. Copy the hinge spacing and doorknob height. I then hang the new door, fit it perfectly, then remove it, put the old door back and set the new door on sawhorses to paint or finish. Having the old door back on allows lots of time for this. Remember, all six sides of a door should have finish on them. This is critical for an exterior door. If you are going to go through all that work, it may be a good idea to order an exterior grade door. A simple solid core flat face door from HD or Lowes may be made to be a fire rated office door and not have the grade of glue needed for an outside door in humid Florida.

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:39 pm

hanging doors are an easy walk in the park for experienced folk.
if the existing doors are working well and well hung, i would not suggest a DIY replacement.
especially on a tight budget. no easy fix for refacing. involves a pro woodworker. and probably cheaper
to get new doors, and the fit and hardware is another expense. really no cheap way to do it.
while you decide, and a year goes by ,maybe just paint the colonial raised panel 'ok' working doors a non colonial color.
(orange, red, bright olive green)...don't know what your house looks like...
it is hard to replace something perfectly functional, though less than esthetically attractive, when a new home has
unexpected daily expenses that are invisible. hard to catch up!
have to have a little cash-kitty when the all-important hot water heater blows or the washer/dryer....
i have many thing i thought i would change right away, but they still function for now. maintenance is enough work.
(like 4 inches of hard icy snow on a 45yr old deck) oops

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:18 am

I'm waiting til I hear what the particulars of these doors are. I asked the owner to tell me if the panel faces are flush with the surrounding parts of the doors. If this should be the case, the re-facing of them is not so far-fetched.

Anyone who claims that hanging doors in all situations is a "walk in the park" hasn't come across some of the conditions I've seen. But I'm glad if you've had good luck so far ! In this case, one of the doors has top and bottom jamb latches in addition to the other hardware. Remember that matching the location of new locks and latches to existing mortises and strikes -- to virtually zero tolerace in the horizontal axis -- is far more diffidcult that installing them in a virgin opening.

Isn't it ?

If this owner hasn't had the experience yet, this will be an eye-opener. . .

Happy holidays *** ***

SDR

Vippie
Modern Fan

Doors

Postby Vippie » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:54 am

The decorative panels on my doors are inset. That's why I wonder if something thin but durable could be applied to the frame. If there's no good solution, the best suggestion was to paint them and wait till replacement day down the road!

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:10 am

Well, if there's nothing protruding from the face of the doors, I could talk you through the application of a 1/4" panel to each door. Even if this is a temporary fix, it would satisfy your urge for an improvement until such time as you want to hang new doors.

Of course, we can also guide you through the new-door routine, too ! (No one should think of using anything less than an exterior-grade solid-core door for an entry, of course.) After hearing what this entails, you can decide whether you want to tackle this yourself or or ask for prices from local carpenters.

SDR

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:49 pm

i forgot the punch-line ....'walk in the park and the client has a fat wallet to
cover any tricky snags.'
i really just meant that standard door installation is not terribly difficult with the right tools.
i've witnessed many a snag and the cussing to go with it. for a DIY, and a handful of things to look out for, it
could get tricky. no peel-n-stick solution.
just a shame that veneering could ultimately cost just as much as new doors.
case by case basis really. my exterior jam and excessively beefy weather-strip would not survive the tiny
adjustment without a fight. any replacements would need a careful match to the 45 yr old cedar.
despite obstacles, and if faced with a similar situation, i would tend to agree with SDR. especially that you
are dealing with recessed panels.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:46 pm

I started to list the steps necessary to do a panel addition and that's no cakewalk either. Hmm. Perhaps the owner should just sell up and move to Palm Springs. . .?

:roll: SDR

bananabobs
Modern Master

Postby bananabobs » Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:18 pm

I hang about 10 -15 doors a month, I have templates for most situations, 3 routers, 2 planers, a roll of sharp chisels, the coolest lockbore set you have ever seen and a well built door hangers table, about $3500 in tools for doors alone. I still tremble and sweat a door hanging, especially a front door. I will do almost anything to get a client to order pre-hung doors. It is not a DIY project. A set of pre-hung slab doors on the other hand is a doable project and would be your best bet. I would suggest MDF solid core doors, 2 good coats of primer on all sides with 3 great coats of paint.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:35 pm

I feel better already. . .!

The short story of applying a new skin: build up recessed flat panels with sheet goods; apply polyurethane glue to new skins; press two doors to each other with clamps around perimeter. Problems: getting the new door surfaces in plane; sizing new skins to fit within door stops/weatherstripping; dealing with added thickness at locks and latches.

SDR

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:35 pm

I feel better already. . .!

The short story of applying a new skin: build up recessed flat panels with sheet goods; apply polyurethane glue to new skins; press two doors to each other with clamps around perimeter. Problems: getting the new door surfaces in plane; sizing new skins to fit within door stops/weatherstripping; dealing with added thickness at locks and latches.

Apply to proprietor for details. . .

SDR

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”