In need of your creative input re: my ugly fence :)

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ViciousChick
Modern Socialite

In need of your creative input re: my ugly fence :)

Postby ViciousChick » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:26 am

I am trying to come up with a cost efficient, upgrade for my backyard fence. I have several challenges but the fact that my property is pie shaped and this fence is shared with 7 neighboring properties is the main one. Tear down and replacement isn't an option. This fence was originally constructed in 1955 but is surprisingly very sturdy. There are a few fence posts in need of some extra concrete.
My plan is to replace a few boards and replace all that damaged ugly corrugated sheeting at the top, then paint.
Before I embark on this adventure - I thought I would ask for creative input from the board because I know you guys and gals always have great ideas and helpful advice.
Thanks so much!!
Karen

Image[/img]
Last edited by ViciousChick on Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:42 pm

Karen,

One thing to remember is that fences have two sides and while you may have many restrictions on altering what the neighbors see, there's very little they can do about what's on your side of the fence.

That doesn't necessarily mean you need to completely redesign by attaching things to your side of the fence. You may find that just building vine walls or other things could completely redefine how the fence looks from your backyard.

Also, I like the idea on replacing the corrugated plastic up top. There are tons of options in acrylic. Clear, frosted, and even patterned -- just like options in glass.

BTW, I really like your flagstone patio.
Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby SDR » Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:28 pm

ViciousChick
Modern Socialite

Postby ViciousChick » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:28 pm

The corrugated sheets of yellow'ish yuck will always be a mystery to me. I understand why the original owner wanted to add height to the fence - it gives a lot of extra privacy with the pool. I just hate the way they just stuck it up there. I think if they had framed it a bit with some trim or SOMETHING it would have looked a bit better. The backyard is the main reason I bought this place - it's quite a luxury for Las Vegas. My last house had a backyard that was literally 5 feet deep and 2 feet wider than the footprint of the house. That's when I first moved to town and lived in Stepford . . . I mean Summerlin, lol.

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:11 am

Stephen Meade

SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749

Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect

http://www.OCModHomes.com

http://www.CliffMaySocal.com

and

Cliff May Homeowner

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:02 am

The picture makes it hard to see the fence detail.

Is that a more open framework in front of the main fence, or is it all part of the same strucure?
scowsa

ViciousChick
Modern Socialite

Postby ViciousChick » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:14 am

It's just a basketweave wooden fence with yellow sheets of corrugated plastic at the top. Lovely, huh, lol?

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:51 am

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:52 am

ViciousChick
Modern Socialite

Postby ViciousChick » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:58 am

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:17 pm

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:49 pm

I went and found the pictures from the realtor's site you posted when first in escrow on your house. On there you can ask for larger pictures. But you really need to take some of your own and host them some free place like Flicker. Then either figure out how to embed them in your post here or just post a link. It's just too hard for us nuts and bolts types to give much advise. We can all give you design advise, but how to fix what you have without replacing completely requires details.

Here's my somewhat blind advise/opinion. I really like basket weave fences. I would want that higher. It seems from the pictures the add on corrugated filon panels are installed in a manner very weekend homeowner. If you hate in, remove it. There are things you can plant to give you height a fence wouldn't. Like bamboo.

Designergenes
Modern Fan

Postby Designergenes » Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:33 am

How about paint it a tasteful, pale grass color so that it recedes (and is all one color)- making it less obtrusive- then punctuate the fence line with some Italian Cypress??
Like every eight feet- on the same intervals as the fence posts, maybe....
"Whoopin' ass and fussing over complementary color harmonies since 1968"

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:07 pm

I'd also recomend a look through Sunset's Fences and Gates book.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:19 pm

I tried importing two other photos from the real estate page for Vicious Chick's house but no luck -- wrong format. Here they are:

http://www.obeo.com/Public/Viewer/Viewe ... ?ID=356168

Definitely basket-weave -- but not along the long run opposite the house ? What's up with that ?

Perhaps just replicating this wood fence upward to the desired height, with the same width boards or maybe with a finer texture (?), would work. . .

Interesting problem.

Designergenes
Modern Fan

Postby Designergenes » Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:10 pm

Hey- fantastic looking place!
Last edited by Designergenes on Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ViciousChick
Modern Socialite

Postby ViciousChick » Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:19 pm

thanks! It's a cool old place and was well maintained. I just bought it this past July and I have lots of plans and very little time :)

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:36 am

maybe i'm NE snow covered delirious, (icy ugly melt/freeze), but i like the basket weave and the parchment
privacy cap (encourages nudity!)
perhaps a bit ratty up close, as it has aged, but a fresh bit of repair and some paint it may hold up a bit longer?
that would give some time for a few new plantings to mature, whatever does well native. a nice tropical cluster looking
across the pool to the right?
a challenge though. with all the vintage charm inside and out, i can see what a tough decision it is to make major
changes. and the expense of a new fence. and what style if the budget allows?

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:46 am

Here are the pics

In the pic of the pool, what's that on the roof? Is that HVACor pool related. I'm guessing its the AC? We don't see setups like that here in the East

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:14 am

My tuppence worth.
I would agree with SDR that replicating the wood fence upward to the desired height -- with the same width boards or maybe with a finer texture-- seems to be the easiest solution.

You can buy "fence-topper" 2'x8' panels, typically in lattice styles, and maybe there are some out there in a basket weave style?

As to the Jesgord Q -- what's that on the roof? It looks like an combined AC unit and blower, which then feeds directly into the vents. As you know, homes that use forced-air heating use the same blower and vents for AC air, but if you do not need, or want, forced-air heating, this is one way to get AC.
scowsa

Designergenes
Modern Fan

Postby Designergenes » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:11 pm

Agreed. It seems like regardless of what approach is used, there is quite a bit of work in store in order to change the look....

I also really dig that basketweave!

I might consider sistering to the existing 4x4 posts with a taller stud---- removing the existing wood basketweave straps and using them in part(s) to create framed basketweave panels [ 6' x6', or 8' x 6'- depending upon the spacing of the existing posts]----then attaching the the framed panels to the studs/posts.

I did something similar with this panel- its more like a "lattice", but the straps would definitely bend enough to enable a basketweave pattern on the horizontal. I got the WR Cedar strap pieces at HD. They were cheap.

.. . .The panel is more cosmetic than structural- therefor may be cheaper and easier to build. However, I'm thinking larger panels may or may not hold up structurally- but maybe worth considering.

hoodlam
Modern Master

Postby hoodlam » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:18 pm

the fence seems pretty mid-century to me, however the photo is close enough to see the actual construction technique and aesthetic of the yellow corrugation.

Maybe replacing the corrugation with a translucnet corrugation and then gently uplighting it could be nice in the evenings when the pool is being used.

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:12 pm

I would tend to agree with those saying to freshen up the paint and add some new corrugation. Maybe all it needs is some "newness". atleast its more cost effective in the mean time. We faced (are facing) a similar thing in our porch off the kitchen. The roof had old corrugated stuff, looked yellowed and old. we looked into all the options and decided to just replace with new clear corrugation. there was athread on this and i have yet to finish it and update the thread. other projects got in the way. Now its just a wet mess out there, dum dum! "dont start a project before finishing the last!" oh well, live and learn...
also, maybe adding some border plants or some bright big planters with bamboo, (dont plant it in the ground by your pool) to add some visual buzz

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”