Coffee table inquiry......6 legs, foldable, brass tips>&g

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Scott NC
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Coffee table inquiry......6 legs, foldable, brass tips>&g

Postby Scott NC » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:48 pm

We're trying to figure out what shape of glass needs
to go on this coffee table we found recently. Do you
all know the name of this type of table and where we can
find other pictures/info so we don't put something on it
that doesn't belong. The six legs do fold together for
a very sleek storage space. Thanks!!!!

Here's a couple very quick shots:

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:14 pm

I don't see anything but an ellipse on this base. The ellipse is nature's oval, and can take any form from quite fat to long and narrow. All ellipses are mathematically derived and are called "standard ellipses" by the glass shops. Just specify the width and length that you want.

This looks like a nice base. I'm quite confident that an elliptical glass top was originally intended for this table.

Enjoy ! SDR

johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby johnnyapollo » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:12 am

I agree 100% with SDR on the ellipse - anything else would look out of place above those legs. Personally I'd stay away from a bevelled edge as well and get something in the 1/2" thick range. The base has a 50's Kagan, organic feel to me, you might want to look up his furniture for reference.

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

Scott NC
Modern Master

Postby Scott NC » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:50 am

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:19 am

SoMo
Modern Socialite

Postby SoMo » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:32 pm

We have this same table base. Ours opens more fully than yours I think - we have a round glass top on it.
But SDR is right, we got it from a friend (she was throwing it out on the curb when moving!) and it came with a brass, ornately etched, hammered type top. But I think it's better w/the glass table top.
Sara

SoMo
Modern Socialite

Postby SoMo » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:48 pm

Also, I don't know what this type of table is called either, but I've seen them here and there in MCM books, mags. In fact I think I saw a small version of it (fewer legs, but with the same brass top as mine came with) in the last Atomic Ranch issue -- in the Russel Wright Manitoga home.

I found one picture of mine if you want to see how it looks w/a glass top.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8450638@N0 ... 247346944/

Scott NC
Modern Master

Postby Scott NC » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:43 pm

haha...wow here's the dish:) I wouldn't have ever believed
this was the original top until I heard it twice from here!
We stashed it somewhere!

SoMo, looks good! We could actually open up the legs a bit more
to where a round top would be a go as well. Thanks for the pic!

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”