insect ID

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
redneckmodern
Modern Master

insect ID

Postby redneckmodern » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:56 pm

sort of a lame question (and a bit weird/off topic), but wondering if anyone can help to ID

Last edited by redneckmodern on Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sky
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Postby sky » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:04 pm

Is that an MCM bug?

Maybe it’s a Carmen Ghia, which as I recall was a kind of bug from the 60s.

Whatever it is, it sure is a cute one. Congratulations, Redneck!

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:15 pm

not an MCM bug, but one found in an MCM house... and this board is more active with folks that know stuff than any i've been involved in...

someone shot back that it's likely an earwig. gross, but mystery perhaps solved... so, moderators, please feel free to delete the thread.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby SDR » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:04 pm

And lose Sky's priceless response ? I think not !

Get wiggy with it. :cheers:
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:55 pm

cool. if car talk is copcetic, eventually, we'll be able to park our in the 1963 MCM garage... looking forward to the day i don't have to worry about accidentally putting a 2X4 through the ragtop. but in this case, glad the mystery of the unwanted bug is solved. how it ended up in the bathtub is another question...

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:42 am

cupcake
Modern Groupie

What's That Bug?

Postby cupcake » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:08 am

For all your bug identification dilemas check out

DFWmidmodfan
Modern Socialite

Re: insect ID

Postby DFWmidmodfan » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:21 am

Eric Green's DFW mid-mod site:
www.cosmicool.com

sky
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Postby sky » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:43 am

I apologize if you thought I was ridiculing your question, Redneck. I think that you are correct in that this board is a great source of information for many things.

I’m not so sure that I agree with the conclusion that the insect in question is an earwig, though. It looks nothing like this:

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:07 am

Well, now you've done it: The National Wig Forum, American Junk Jewlery Association [sic], Friends of the Outer Ear and members of The Bender Fan Club will all be sending complaints to your barrister within the hour, I have no doubt.

Hope you're ready ! :roll: Bender and I have already figured out what to do with our settlement:

WORLD CRUISE, Bay-bay !!

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:25 am

sky: ... not at all. the openness of the Q+A is one of the may reasons i enjoy this board.

sdr: yes, a pair of mobil horses live among other accoutrements. i've tried to make the car into a period rally-esque car: part-porsche motor, larger porsche brakes, headlight grills, driving lights, etc... presently, the motor is cleaner than my kitchen floor. hopefully that will change (i.e.: the kitchen will get cleaner). too many projects.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:36 am

My other Beetle, a brand-new '68 ($1776 out the door, with AM radio) was my first new car. I thought I might keep the engine compartment handkerchief-clean. I didn't.

SDR

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:32 pm

earwig - yup --- but i think we also call 'em pincher bug - cause of those nasty little pinchers on their rear end.

they are attracted to yard debris and dead leaves and mulch and such...

kandersen
Modern Master

Postby kandersen » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:45 am

I think they're attracted to moisture.

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:28 pm

This bug is an earwig; they are omnivorous. They will eat ANYTHING including paper and other bugs: they are predatory animals. Their "hives" can host literally thousands of said creatures. They're nocturnal, come out at night, as opposed to diurnal, seen during the day, but this doesn't mean you won't see them in the day, they just like it dark.
They REALLY like paper!!!!!!!!!!!!! clear ANY paper from your house, and garage, as well as piles of leaves, wood or any sort of decaying vegetable matter. If you have any ivy near your home, remove it; they like to live in it. They don't carry diseases like cockroaches do, but can be quite destructive when it comes to things like carpet backings, natural fabrics, and paper etc.
Hope this was a help to you,
Slim
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:18 am

As an aside, my friend Stephanie inhaled an earwig in highschool. She thoght it would be funny to stomp down on the end of a pool pump thing while putting the end of the hose in her mouth. (it made her cheeks puff out and was quite funny) All of a sudden she started hacking and coughing and produced an earwig out of her throat. We laughed at her for about a straight hour... Yuck! me no like earwigs!

kjansma
Modern Master

Postby kjansma » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:57 pm

hoodlam
Modern Master

Postby hoodlam » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:11 am

good to see other bug fans

i have this

johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby johnnyapollo » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:48 am

You can try diotomaceous earth - basically the remains of fossilized marine animals - the sharp edges of the power score the undersides of bugs and cause dehydration (ultimately killing the bugs). I've got some friends using the powder and they're finding it pretty effective - much like boric acid but more environmentally friendly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:33 pm

that really is a crazy-ass bug. one year we had thousands. the next year none. ny, la.? they are everywhere.
look mean but harmless? living in austin tx i had scorpions in my shower every morning...now that is a crazy
bug...ever wear cowboy boots in a shower?
i think it is moisture. and we may have gotten them from purchasing some hanging potted plants. probably eggs
were heavy in them. as we noticed the massive bug families started there.
keep the house inside dry. fan or whatever it takes. they just go away if the house is dry and landscape near the
house is without debri.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”