furnace advice needed

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
kraftdee
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

furnace advice needed

Postby kraftdee » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:52 pm

BOXOUTBM
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby BOXOUTBM » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:19 pm

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:54 pm

Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

BOXOUTBM

Postby BOXOUTBM » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:09 am

Not Being a Furnace Guy, I might have mixed up/ merged or confused two stage

The Bryant Website Will hopefully clear this up. This is what I meant by Two Stage

PerfectHeat
PerfectHeat® provides two stages of heating to battle changing winter conditions. At start up, low stage heating gently circulates warm, heated air into your living space. As outdoor temperatures become more extreme, high stage heating provides the extra boost you need to remain comfortable.

johnnyapollo

Postby johnnyapollo » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:33 am

I replaced my existing with a Trane 2-stage unit and have been very happy with it - it's also reduced my overall heating bill. Basically it provides a low-fan push of air during much of it's heating cycle, and only cycles in the higher speed when needed (instead of either blasting you with hot air or not as older units go). There's also supposed to be a 3 stage unit (heard about and have not seen or experienced).

For a while Carrier got a bad reputation but recently their QC has greatly improved - you might want to check them out (The founding Carrier basically invented air conditioning).

FYI: When you replace your unit you might want to look at better air filtering - I have two zones, each with its own high-efficiency filter box (QuietAir I belive they're called) - they really pull out a lot of the crap in Atlanta's poor quality air. From HVAC guys that I've known and worked with, I don't recommend the electrostatic filters (seems they have a high failure rate).

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

kraftdee
Modern Socialite

furnace

Postby kraftdee » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:31 am

thank you.

DFWmidmodfan
Modern Socialite

Postby DFWmidmodfan » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:31 am

Although I'm not a contractor, I am involved in the HVAC trade and do know some things to look for when replacing a residential furnace and/or a/c system.

#1 Don't let price be the sole factor in driving your decision. Cheaper is not always better.

#2 Brand choice is not as important as quality installation. You can buy Cadillac equipment, but if it's a Yugo installation, it will be nothing but problems. On the flip side, less expensive equipment can perform well if it is installed properly. It could even outperform more expensive equipment that is installed poorly.

#3 If your furnace is part of a split a/c system, replacing the furnace alone may affect the performance of your existing a/c. If the new furnace moves too much air, the a/c may not dehumidify as well in summer. If it moves too little air you may experience the a/c coil freezing over in summer.

#4 Enhanced filtration systems require that the furnace blower can overcome the increased pressure drop an enhanced filter will present to the system. Overly restrictive filters can lead to iced up a/c in summer and possible high limit trips and/or cracked heat exchangers in winter (gas furnaces).

#5 It is not a bad idea for the bidding contractor to run what is called a Manual J heat load calculation on your house to determine the correct equipment size. Many contractors merely replace what is already there, assuming whoever installed the equipment originally sized it correctly. Many times it is correct, many times it is not. Oversized equipment costs more to run and provides less consistent comfort. Undersized equipment will strain on hot and cold days to keep you comfy.

#6 It is never a bad idea at any time to look at your house itself to see how it can be improved to hold heat inside in winter better and keep heat out in summer more effectively.
Eric Green's DFW mid-mod site:
www.cosmicool.com

MCMDSM
Modern Fan

Love my new 95% furnace

Postby MCMDSM » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:02 am

I just replaced my 20 yo 80% efficient furnace with a Goodman 95% efficient unit which draws in air from the outside. It has a variable speed blower that is automatic. We have noticed an increase in comfort with higher humidity in our air and increased airflow. My HVAC guy uses Goodman and I have been satisfied with the brand quality, our new ac unit is Goodman and I have used their products in some of my rentals.

Our house is post & beam, flat roof with no insulation and the west wall is all windows. We live in Iowa, so it's very cold in the winter. Our furnace is located in the basement roughly in the center of the house and the main duct runs north south below the first floor. The ducts run perpendicular from the main truck line to the outside walls and terminates in floor vents. Same thing for the basement except the runs are located in our concrete slab floor. We had problems getting enough air to the south bedrooms with the old unit and have noticed a huge improvement in air flow and the new unit is much quieter.

deagna
Modern Socialite

Postby deagna » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:23 pm

All of a sudden, I need to get a new one too. I really want an electic heat pump, but we're still shopping around.

I wish you luck with your new furnace, whatever you choose!!

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”