need courtyard ideas

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
kraftdee
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

need courtyard ideas

Postby kraftdee » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:57 am

We have concrete rectangles in our courtyard that have wood in the space (about 2-2 1/2") between the squares. The wood needs to be removed because of dry rot. Does anyone have suggestions on what can be put in between the squares that would require little to no maintenance but would look nice? We were thinking maybe rocks set in concrete?

AJ Fisher
Modern Master

need courtyard ideas

Postby AJ Fisher » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:04 pm

if you want to go for something really, really low maintainence, you might consider pulling out the wood and replacing it with new cedar 2x4. it won't rot and the wood might be a nice compliment to the concrete. it will fade/bleach to a grey color over time.
Last edited by AJ Fisher on Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:09 pm

scowsa

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:02 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:55 pm

"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:46 pm

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:49 pm

Josquin
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Ground Cover

Postby Josquin » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:59 am

A good choice for low mounding draught tolerant ground cover is Creeping Thyme, Thymus serpyllum. Creeping Thyme is scented, grows two to four inches high, flowers in late spring early summer and can tolerate traffic.

johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby johnnyapollo » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:47 am

There are several creeping herbs you can plant in there - when they're stepped on a pleasant fragrance will follow...

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

BOXOUTBM

Re: need courtyard ideas

Postby BOXOUTBM » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:50 pm

kraftdee
Modern Socialite

Postby kraftdee » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:42 pm

Hi All,
thanks for your comments. I'm going to take a look at the nursery tomorrow. I like the idea of green things.... That's awesome, BOXOUTBM. I like how it looks. Do the stones really stay in there without cement? Can you think of any drawbacks to adding a little concrete to make them stay? The other concern about that is we have a few trees that drop leaves, pineneedles so I guess they can use the blower to clean it up but I don't know if they can use a blower without blowing the stones out if they're not set in concrete. sorry for rambling...

BOXOUTBM

Postby BOXOUTBM » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:33 pm

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:02 pm

I have a few aggregate rectangular pavers where the previous owner removed the rotten redwood separators and filled the spaces with a mixture of concrete and pebbles (area near the pool in the picture below)
Honestly, I don't think the result looks as good as just filling the space with grass/moss or medium-size river stones - at least not for aggregate pavers. In fact, I'm planning to chisel out those areas to remove the concrete/pebble mix as soon as I get a chance.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:02 pm

Dallasmodern
Modern Master

Postby Dallasmodern » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:44 pm

A dark polished river rock would provide a nice contrast to the concrete pavers. Appling an epoxy of the river rock would deppen the contrast while providing a solid bond between the stones.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”