Fireplace redo -- 100 Ways to Screw up...

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
PNWgal
Modern Socialite

Fireplace redo -- 100 Ways to Screw up...

Postby PNWgal » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:25 pm

I didn't want to hijack the "" link, so I am posting here.

We FINALLY covered our "mid-century (1964) Seattle-suburb-home-but-not-by-a-famous-builder" stock cinderblock & brick fireplace:

with 3/8" tile. And lots of swearing.

Now, after we fix our little septic problem (which means new yard & patio), we will order the Kerf cabinet for the area left of the fireplace.
Last edited by PNWgal on Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

deagna
Modern Socialite

Postby deagna » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:32 am

I love that tile!! So sorry about the septic problem. There's always something keeping you from doing the fun stuff!

We also use the "lots of swearing" technique on our MCM.

Good luck to you!!

PNWgal
Modern Socialite

Postby PNWgal » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:18 am

So it seems the tile didn't go over very well with this crowd (tough crowd!), but come on, you've gotta love the Kerf. :D

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:46 am

The Kerf looks great! I think you have done a fantastic job transforming the room! :D

STLModern
Modern Master

Postby STLModern » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:06 pm

I dig it and it looks like the baby does too! I've always liked those Kerf cabinets. Have you thought about swearing some more and covering the fireplace all the way to the ceiling?

64Cat
Modern Socialite

Postby 64Cat » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:39 pm

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:47 pm

PNWgal
Modern Socialite

Postby PNWgal » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:57 pm

Thanks everyone!

It took some work to talk my DH into spending the money for Kerf. Luckily, they came out with their DIY line around the time I had given up hope. Going the DIY route saved us about 30%.

This spot was a real pain because it was an odd width and we still needed the crawl space access. Nathan designed the cabinet so that the shelves come out and the back pops off, and VOILA! crawl space access.

Nathan was great to work with. My DH ended up liking the cabinet (and the process) so much that we now have some wall shelves for the office (currently assembled, but not hung yet) AND he said, "When we remodel the kitchen, let's use Kerf." \:D/

Regarding the fireplace, once the Wee One was mobile, we couldn't keep her out of the fireplace. DH just lined it with plywood, added some carpet pad and some black carpet and now Dot has her very own Baby Cave. We can pull it all out and use the fireplace if the need arises.

Izzy-we thought of the TV in the fireplace, but we would still have the problem of the Destructo Baby. :-k The other problem was that DH insisted on the TV being in the center of the room. We found a wall mount that swings out 20+ inches (I think, but I'd have to verify that) so that the TV can be in the center of the room for viewing and aligned over the fireplace opening to satisfy my OCD. :wink:

BTW...we still haven't been able to get a landscaper out here to build our patio and lawn! We think we have a guy who will start in the next week or 2, but I'm not overly optimistic. In the meantime, I've been perusing all of the LL threads for landscape ideas.

Oh, and STL, I think we used a lifetime of swearing to get this far. Seriously though, when we updated the basement, the original plan was to put the TV above the fireplace, so we only installed the backerboard about as high as the tile currently goes. Also, those tiles were really pricey. If we went all the way up, we couldn't have afforded the TV...or the Kerf...or that lawn/patio redo...

greenmod
Modern Socialite

Postby greenmod » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:08 pm

I think they both look great! We have DIY kerf planned for our kitchen remodel.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”