Theme and Variations V

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
SDR
Lotta Living FANatic
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Theme and Variations V

Postby SDR » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:11 pm

Architectural stuff, beginning with a deck project that actually came to completion.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:15 pm

When a new acquaintance mentioned wanting a deck behind his house, with a hot tub, I drew this:

Then I saw the site, and talked further with the owner. This followed:

That got me the job. Maybe it was the cat. Other sketches and drawings followed:

The tub is concealed beneath a rolling section of the deck. Note arrow.

After construction had begun, the builder suggested that the lower right element in the drawing above could be eliminated
if I liked, leaving a cantilevered seat for the cantilevered table. I eagerly agreed. The sketch below shows the happy result.

Development of the cantilevered table and bench:

The construction documents:

The builder's framing plan:

The rolling deck/tub cover, detailed above, was not built.

SDR

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:31 pm

Photos of the completed deck.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:33 pm

My friend Dan Cusick runs a non-profit facility, a clean-and-sober social
space and coffee shop. After we rescued some cedar sauna flooring from the sidewalk, ten days ago, he proposed that I
make a smokers' bench for the sidewalk in front of the house. I made a model, then drew. Before construction, we enlarged
the design, resulting in the second drawing. The bench is constructed of cedar, fir and pressure-treated pine, using poly-
urethane glue. Dan paid for the material, and I contributed my time. I set up a temporary shop in his garage, using his tools
and mine.

Last edited by SDR on Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ViciousChick
Modern Socialite

Postby ViciousChick » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:46 pm

Beautiful results :)

Catman
Modern Socialite

Postby Catman » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:02 pm

Amazing job!!!
Congrats :P

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:47 pm

This is very nice. It's great to see the whole process, from design concepts to construction drawings to completion.

Thanks!

Tony
Tony Merchell

Architectural Photographer
www.glassandsteel.com

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:18 pm

Thanks so much. It was (literally) a pleasure from beginning to end.

Now we have to move the tree watering tube. A passing arborist (a neighbor, actually) told us that where a tree needs water is not at the root ball but, logically, at the ends of the roots, which are quite a ways beyond the "drip line" of the tree itself. So we'll make a T-shaped affair of 3/4" pipe that extends 3 feet each way from the centerline (best we can manage). The standard pipe thread seems to accommodate the end of Dan's garden hose quite nicely. . .

SDR

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:24 am

Beautiful!
Hard to make something strong and appear so light.
Fine solution on the corner detail.
Interesting to see it evolve in such a short period of time.

Structurally sound. And will hold up great to the weather...

Josquin
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Bench and Hot Tub Plan

Postby Josquin » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:01 am

I seemed to have missed the original post. Very nice solution for a small garden area and an elegant urban bench. What type of tree was planted?

I only make non-smoking work, if it's smoking it's too hot to handle in California.

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:05 am

LOVELY BENCH!!!! I can also imagine the legs/supports fabricated from an aluminum extrusion. :D

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:55 am

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”