Cliff May Detail - Help

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
deagna
Modern Socialite

Cliff May Detail - Help

Postby deagna » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:20 pm

I have two questions for all of you fellow Cliff May owners and enthusiasts:

1. What on earth should we do with this metal angle detail? Is this a standard detail? It previously had a 1/4" wood bandaid over it before and we hated the way it looked.

2. Is it common to have a joint in the ridge beam over the column in the living room? It seems weird to me and I couldn't find any other discussion about it.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby egads » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:17 am

Yes it is common to have a joint over the post in the middle of the living room. Those 4x12 beams only come so long, are quite heavy and difficult to transport and lift into place. A full length beam, if available and affordable would require a crane to get into place.

I can't really see the metal angle detail. Can you post a link to alarger picture? (I''l look in your blog in the meantime)

travelteam
Modern Socialite

Postby travelteam » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:29 am

Are you referring to the moulding that looks to be backing your wooden glass stops? On your flickr images I see this detail in one shot but not on the other... Still a bit hard for me to make out what's going on though even in the larger images. Perhaps another colder climate May owner will recognize that detail.

I'll just say this. If it's gotta go, careful with that pry bar around your glass!

deagna
Modern Socialite

Postby deagna » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:47 pm

Thanks for the responses so far.

The detail is kind of hard to see because the metal angle is the same color as the wood surrounding it. The area I'm talking about is just above where the 4x4 beam beneath the window meets the side beam. There is a a 3x4 metal angle on top of the 4x4 with two pieces of 2x4 above it and then a 4" deep piece of trim that follows the angle of the ceiling/window.

We just can't figure out why it was built this way. I don't know a good solution to make it look finished. I don't know if just painting over it is going to do it.

Let me know if it's still not clear. As I said, the angle looks the same color as the wood in the picture.

Here's a link to the larger picture on flikr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/19011594@N02/2205292222/

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:11 pm

Well, the whole point of post and beam construction is: show your work.
In other words, it's not supposed to look neatly finished. My May does not have the metal. (although here in California, some metal brackets would have been a good idea. I know that, in my neighborhood, when someone does an addition and tries to keep the details the same, current codes require quite a few steel saddles and brackets.) In your case I would clean and paint. A true modernist is not afraid to let the structure show. A machine for living and all that. I would say that the piece you removed was probably original and only installed to "dress up" the area. May had to make many adjustments regionally to satisfy local building officials. It's even possible there was a structural use to the wood over it. Now days properly nailed off plywood is used to tie many buildings together. Before casting the "bandaid" aside, I'd make sure it was not integral to the structure.

deagna
Modern Socialite

Postby deagna » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:56 am

It was not properly nailed plywood. It was tacked on 1/8" plywood. It was hardly big enough to act as a diaphragm. It was mostly just ugly.

I guess we should just caulk it from the outside and leave the cover on it there so we can leave it exposed on the inside.

I mostly just thought it was a really weird detail. The builder must have had metal angles on site for lintels or something in our subdivision. They must not be in the pre-fab construction documents if not every house has them.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:38 pm

yes, it is common to have a joint over a beam in the livingroom. Deluxe models around late '54-'55 had a larer living area, makng it a longer reach for the ridge beam. No, it's not perfect, but that's individual character. After all, these are affordable prefab homes, not custom estates.

I don't see the hardware in your photo, but see it exposed in my carport, I painted it beam color so it would "disappear." I looks like you had a framed window installed between the joists. typically, windows are installed on the outside of the post & beam frame. original detail here...

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:47 pm

Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

lasquirrel
Modern Master

Postby lasquirrel » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:31 am

I personally like seeing the post and beam brought together w/ the metal bracket (forgive me for not knowing all the proper terms!) in our living room. I've even considered stripping the metal bracket so that it shines... my husband thinks I'm crazy but then I love the industrial look!
S-
Sheryl

deagna
Modern Socialite

Postby deagna » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:44 am

Thanks for all the comments! I suppose it's kind of nice that all of these prefab homes are detailed just a little different.

lasquirrel - I was thinking of painting it a different color than the blocking that rests on it to make it stand out. I think it might look pretty cool, but ours is dirty and rusty, so paint might not even stick. I might go with your idea and just leave them unpainted.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”