Palmer and Krisel Homes in Pomona

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

the50sguy
Modern Socialite

Postby the50sguy » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:51 pm

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:56 pm

when - the medium involved is a PRIVATE forum.
the issue is NEVER censorship. PERIOD.
it is called MODERATION

and I'm not sure why the word censorship has even been brought up - unless 50sguy - you intend to continue to break the rules of the forum and get antagonistic and be unfriendly over an issue and send NASTY private notes to your fellow members???
have you done that and/or are you anticipating what you call "censorship"???

this "censorship" case is closed. it's a friendly private forum. period.
Please 50s guy and EVERY one else engaged in this silly discussion - do not antagonize folks over this issue about who wrote what to whom. if you wish to discuss possible reasons why a neighborhood went down the tubes, that is fine. white flight and black flight and brown flight are legitimate historical terms. and are NOT necessarily racial in nature.

but please, Let us us keep this discussion to lamenting the fact that an absolutely fabulous neighborhood of homes has fallen into disrepair.
let us talk about what kinds of programs and incentives there are to bring back fallen neighborhoods.

ANY OTHER BACK FORTH NAME CALLING OR OTHER NAUGHTY BEHAVIOR WILL BE GROUNDS FOR TEMPORARY BANNING.
Last edited by Futura Girl on Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:03 pm

P.S.
anyone who has said anything that would be considered inappropriate to say at MY house at a cocktail party - must now write,

"I am sorry. I got a little heated under the collar. Please forgive me. Now let's go back to talking about why these homes are so wonderful."

I am VERY serious. if there is another post (or PM) that is in any way shape or form unfriendly - whether or not it is LEGITIMATE gripe.
just tuck your tail between your legs and WRITE "i'm sorry" and count to 10 and move on...
Last edited by Futura Girl on Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:07 pm

Lastly - what part of the note above where you all post did anyone not understand?

"Welcome to Pleasantville... Thank you in advance for keeping our discussion Light Hearted, Positive and FRIENDLY!"

if someone is every heavy-handed or unfriendly in the future - do not respond or engage the discussion - ignore them and let it die a quick death.

okay - nooooooowwwww... i'm done. :)

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:11 pm

back to the discussion - i have to say this is one of the most beautiful brochures i have seen in a long time... the colors are stunning and design goes pop!

50s guy - thank you for taking the time to scan and post them all...
i think it may eventually serve as an inspiration for the future P&K site.

you live in pomona - are you far from this hood?

the50sguy
Modern Socialite

Postby the50sguy » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:48 am

~pic originally posted by the50s guy - then removed - then replaced by the moderator on 1-28-8
Last edited by the50sguy on Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:25 am

I actually kind of like the "lego look" effect on the dining room wall...at least from afar, where you can't actually see what they are. The exterior garage wall seems a bit over the top, though.

That's quite a blender collection. Just think how many different kinds of frozen margarita they could make simultaneously! :cheers:
Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Well....

Postby modfan » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:43 am

That Lego block (right now I think they are celebrating 50 years) is rather unique, how do they hold up on the outside (guess ok since they have those big displays outside at Legoland). As for the blender collection I myself would put em in a display case I don't like clutter on the kitchen counter (nor do I care for dusting/cleaning them off). As for the heated argument part-seems like one could start with planting of seed of 'awareness' in the neighborhood, maybe do the outlandish simple thing of stapling a flyer to a telephone pole in the neighborhood with the web address so folks could find it on the internet. Maybe they'll think 'gee our house has a 'famous' provenance' or something like that, maybe we should start fixing it up to the way it was, not just the usual HD crap. Ya never know, hey look at Palm Springs.
Last edited by modfan on Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

home_boy
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby home_boy » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:47 am

Last edited by home_boy on Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:07 am, edited 3 times in total.

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Is it

Postby modfan » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:57 am

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:59 am

JAB
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby JAB » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:01 am

Thanks Home Boy! I was close.
Last edited by JAB on Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

home_boy
Modern Master

Re: Is it

Postby home_boy » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:01 am

the50sguy
Modern Socialite

Re: Is it

Postby the50sguy » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:09 am

Perks

Postby Perks » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:38 am

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:02 pm

Wow...I leave this thread for a couple of days and look what happens :)

I've always thought that it's not always the facts you present but they way there are presented. I'd like to believe that 99.9% of the time there is a way to say what you want to say, without compromising your message for political correctness, and without inflaming others. I think it's worth spending the extra time to find that way.
Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

scottkaycee
Modern Master

stream of consciousness thoughts re: this thread

Postby scottkaycee » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:06 pm

Those legos are like mosaic tile- sort of, the jungle look seems to be made up of a lot of "period" plants, maybe it was a Tiki-Room grotto lite inspired planting pallette. My Wife and I collect glass coffee decanters, usually in some odd beaker shapes with a metal base that holds candles, at one place we lived we had them set up like the blenders, We now have a set of chip & dip sets in a similar display now. I think as collectors of something after a while you just want to see them all together and enjoy them. I think sometimes Modern fans as a majority if even a slight one prefer the minimalist approach, a very edited, tailored look, and sometimes there are others who just love to surround themselves with lots of things from the era. This homeowner obviously took the same approach to the indoors as they did to the outdoors and it's a credit to the architecture that it still looks great, it may not be everyone's taste, although it leans towards mine, but it is not a stick in the eye like so many contemporary realtor posts of these era homes.

These houses P&K/Cliff May do not lend themselves to insensitive habitation, they also tend to be small, and were usually intended as starter homes as such alot of time the original owners moved up and out and sold to whoever would buy. Valwood ended up being cutoff from Pomona by freeways and busy throughfares not a great thing to encourage a sense of connection to the surrounding community.

Alot of people were lured to Pomona for jobs that later evaporated leaving them in economically depressed circumstances also contributing to the areas decline. The path of the San Bernardino Freeway sliced through then the affluent North End of Pomona also cutting off some of the better parts of the city, the middle class managers and executives went elsewhere. They went to Claremont, Upland , Alta Loma etc. The smog got really bad there too the hills sort of trap it there, and as orange groves gave way to more housing the picturesque quaint quality that attracted so many people there gave way to overcrowded surroundings.

I dont think it is a unique situation to Pomona, it is basically the story of So. Cal.

Lest anyone think I am pining for a lost Utopia, a good friend told me stories of "Blacks and Mexicans" day at the Ganesha Park Plunge from his youth. We have come so far in this country. I think Pomona is a nice place with a bad reputation, crime has reduced quite a bit since the 70's, although Valwood is still pretty rough. Who knows maybe it will pick up Westmont seems to be on an upswing.
How about a career in Architecture? www.scottkirkcueto.blogspot.com

the50sguy
Modern Socialite

Postby the50sguy » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:42 pm

[

Perks

Postby Perks » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:49 pm

Well I guess it's a good thing I downloaded a copy of the brochure images to my computer then... :?

P.S. Nobody has mentioned that today is the 50th birthday of the Lego. So, the Lego IS mid-century appropriate after all.

streinen
Modern Master

Postby streinen » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:56 pm

http://www.google.com/

Some folks in Mountain View must be fans, as well...

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:05 pm

50s guy decided to punish everyone by removing the phenomenal images he shared because he was not happy with the fact that i asked to stop the back and forth bickering.
instead of stopping the bickering as i asked - he went on to justify his actions. which i removed from the forum.

i will replace the images he put up so that everyone can still benefit from them.

Dan O.
Modern Master

Postby Dan O. » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:09 pm

Thanks for saving the images Futura Girl, while I certainly could've done w/o the unpleasant rhetoric/bickering I did appreciate the brochure scan.

Though all of us here have an appreciation for 50s-60s era design I'm sure we can agree that there were also certain negative aspects of that era that we are far better off without. While it's easy to get emotional over a once nice neighborhood now in decline I don't think it's necessary to point out that attributing that decline to the introduction of a specific group is not only ignorant but far from that simple, the reasons are complex and some of them have been outlined above.

Back to the P&Ks, I find it hilarious that the brochure artwork depicts such a seemingly gigantic house when in reality they could be considered somewhat smallish. If you look at virtually any advertisments from that era you see the same sort of artistic license taken with the implied proportions of cars, appliances, what have you.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:23 pm

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:27 pm

Stephen Meade

SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749

Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect

http://www.OCModHomes.com

http://www.CliffMaySocal.com

and

Cliff May Homeowner

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:47 pm

pack heat 8-)

seriously, can't be that bad. Hey Home Boy, you're a few blocks away, is it that bad?

can't be.
Last edited by Joe on Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:48 pm

thanks futuragirl for reposting, i've been hesitant to enter the fray and say anything during this thread, but appreciate being able to see the pics.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:57 pm

I am sure it is probably not as bad as all that...

Go during the daytime and smile.

Perks

Postby Perks » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:09 pm

home_boy
Modern Master

Postby home_boy » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:06 am

Miguel
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Miguel » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:38 am

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”