New Krisel Homes?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
jenniezane
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

New Krisel Homes?

Postby jenniezane » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:18 am

Futura Girl's Palmer and Krisel post started me wondering about this:

http://www.maxxlivingstone.com/site.html

brand-new homes designed in a vintage style, apparently done by Krisel himself.

I'm curious as to people's opinions about these homes.

Sad attempt to recreate the awesome originals? solid reproduction? let me hear ya!
Zane and Jennie Donaldson

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

I think

Postby modfan » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:49 am

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:17 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:18 pm

solid.

Chimay
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Chimay » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:02 pm

I've spoken to both the developers and Bill Krisel about this project on a couple of occasions, but it's been a while. Don't know if anything's built yet, but the concept itself is very solid. Bill worked with his original engineer from the P&K days to bring his designs up to current codes, but they are fundamentally unchanged, otherwise. So not sure what's not to like about this. Bill was very excited a year or two ago and he was confident that the builders would be able to execute to his standards. I hope they got built.
Friends don't let friends live in McMansions
House pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/88017382@N ... 387250721/

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:32 pm

It was built this past year and sold at its first open house.

Here's a construction blog....interesting reading:

http://wordpress.maxxlivingstone.com/
Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:58 pm

I think they also have two or three more under construction.

There have been several attempts at "updating" the P&K designs in Palm Springs. But these have mostly been done by decorators, rather than architects.

These new ones were designed by Bill Krisel, using the original structural engineer who, like Bill, is still practicing. I think that this is a successful update that shows the singular consistancy of design seen in the originals.

Tony
Tony Merchell

Architectural Photographer
www.glassandsteel.com

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Well

Postby modfan » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:23 am

clicked on the link. I'm impressed.

Hafta drive by next time I'm there and take a glance.

So wonder if the Wexler Steel home I put in the gallery at
Hermosa and Verbena (?) ever got completed and sold, it was sitting there for a long time unfinished and it kinda looked abandoned.

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:26 am

Tony Merchell

Architectural Photographer

www.glassandsteel.com

DFWmidmodfan
Modern Socialite

Postby DFWmidmodfan » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:21 pm

I read this thread and saw the new Krisel house photos last night...I could not help but think how wonderful that is! I would love to build a classic MCM design using modern materials...how cool would that be? A whole development like this in my area would seriously rock. Probably won't happen as new housing stock and buyer preference locally is stuck hopelessly in the two story jumbled roofline red brick towering entry faux chateau ad nauseum crap...but one can dream. :D
Eric Green's DFW mid-mod site:
www.cosmicool.com

T.O. MidMod
Modern Socialite

Postby T.O. MidMod » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:58 am

Hey guys. I don't post much but I lurk all the time :oops:

Anyhow, I'm an architecture writer in Toronto, Canada and a big-time midcentury modern fan. Anyhow, to make a long story short, when the wife and I were in Palm Springs in August, we officially toured the first completed Krisel house. The LA couple that bought it hadn't moved in yet and their interior designer was just starting to furnish it. Anyhow, this is the column I wrote about the experience:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... chitecture

If that link doesn't work, try this one:

http://license.icopyright.net/user/view ... RealEstate

Anyhow, as you can see, I was miffed that what were once middle-class vacation homes are now million dollar custom affairs for the rich.

One other thing of interest is that they had another butterfly about 70% done 10 minutes away that backs onto a golf course, and they said a third was about to begin.

Unfortunately, I can't remember the street the house was on or I'd tell you all...the other thing is that the original column had photographs, and those aren't available on this online, archived version of the column...but you get the idea.

Cheers,

Dave

Chimay
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Chimay » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:38 pm

Thanks for the link to the article, Dave. I will say that a quick perusal last week of mid-century modern homes for sale in that area reveals that prices appear to have dropped considerably since you wrote your article. I now see many beautiful P&Ks in Las Palmas and Twin Palms (two of the more sought-after neighborhoods) in the 500K to 600K range, which would have been unthinkable just last year. Lots of bank-owned and quick sales, as I'm guessing that people are more likely let payments lapse on a vacation property than their permanent residence.

Now, if only the bottom would fall out of the mid-century modern furniture market... one can only hope.
Friends don't let friends live in McMansions

House pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/88017382@N ... 387250721/

googieagog
Modern Master

Postby googieagog » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:03 am

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”