retro-look kitchen appliances

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

mod cats
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

retro-look kitchen appliances

Postby mod cats » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:42 pm

As much as I love the kitchen appliances that are original to my 1964 modern ranch, they need to be replaced (the oven hasn't worked for awhile and I need to free up some counter space, too). They are all General Electric, and I want to stick with white enamel not only to keep the retro feel as much as possible, but also because my kitchen is small. I need a smooth cooktop, venting overhead mount microwave and wall-mount oven.

I don't necessarily need to stay with General Electric, just something that looks retro, matches well and is reasonably priced. Any suggestions would be appreciated ......

Miguel
Special Secret Modern Agent
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Miguel » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:48 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:25 pm

nothing like authentic appliances. last I checked, electrical appliances prepare food just fine.

consider having them repaired and restored. My '54 ranch came with original stainless Westinghouse wall oven and cooktop. I found an older appliance repair shop in town to rewire them. cost was pretty fair too. much cheaper than new appliances. they work great.

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:57 pm

Check these guys out. They make retro looking fridges, ovens and I think they now make panels for dishwashers too.

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:56 am

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:47 am

Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

Dallasmodern
Modern Master

Postby Dallasmodern » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:10 am

I’d recommend refurbishing the existing appliances, particularly if they are original with the home. Yes, there are definitely some advantages with newer appliances. I would even personally be swayed by a newer refrigerator simply because of the energy savings, and high cost of repair mainly due to the refrigerant systems in place.
Besides stock builds, most kitchen renovations I see are focused around the appliances, particularly the range. Granted, there are several new options. A few are head turners. But there is always a conversation piece in a vintage range. Take the Frigidaire Flair model produced during the mid fifties. My wife’s grandparents have one of these that has been used everyday, and I would expect it still has another fifty years left. It’s the details such as that you just don’t see anymore…

classic form

Postby classic form » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:39 am

I wish our place would have come with the original appliances. I replaced them with new before I found out that there was a chance to locate originals (with patience). We still have the original cooktop though.

I think that if it were my house I'd have them restored...I know that there are business' that specialize in restoring vintage appliances. I just took a look through "my favorites" but couldn't find what I was looking for but if you google for a bit I'm sure you'll find someone.

Do you have a pic of the originals?

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:55 am

I do like stainless, i just know that some people are just "so over" them. But i do think they will have the same staying power that white or black has. It seems that people have embraced them beyond the harvest gold or pea green ones of the 70s.
but i could be TOTALLY wrong on this :?
that is a cool old oven, Perks!
agreed that the energy used compared to the vintage is too hard to pass up.
We got the LG bottom freezer, love it so far

Perks

Postby Perks » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:41 pm

I absolutely agree that original appliances are a fantastic conversation piece. My friend has a late 19th-century Victorian with the original woodburning stove (it still works, although he also has a more modern gas stove that's his "daily driver")...and, out of all the original features in the house, that's the one that gets all the attention.

As much as I love vintage, though, it has its drawbacks from a design perspective.

For one, we're going with Ikea cabinets due to economic reasons (I want some money left over to splurge on some other things), but the original wall oven pictured in my post above is too wide for their standard cabinets...which means we'll have to "custom fabricate" the wall oven cabinetry. A minor inconvenience, but one that will wind up costing several hundred dollars extra.

For another, it did limit our design options. Had I decided to start from scratch, I could have gone with a very sleek and very modern look. However, knowing that the original appliances would look out of place, one does have to scale back. Having to replace the fridge, dishwasher, and in-kitchen washing machine, it's easier and more cost efficient to simply buy new ones rather than finding original ones that match the existing appliances. So, I wouldn't be able to easily go original either. Balancing the aesthetics so that neither old nor new looked out of place has proven to be a challenge, albeit a really fun challenge.

I HOPE steel doesn't go out of style entirely. Not after all the money I'm going to be spending on them. At the very least, the steel/granite/maple cabinet look is going to be VERY out of style soon. I can only imagine what's going to be the next fad once that becomes passe...

Izzy, I almost bought the same model, but the wife wanted the LG side-by-side instead. I like how the LGs offer gray side panels instead of the standard black on their steel fridges.

classic form

Postby classic form » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:46 pm

Here's what we were faced with when we bought our place, taken during a walk through before purchase...

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:55 pm

classic form

Postby classic form » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:50 pm

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:16 pm

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:24 pm

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:37 pm

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:22 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:58 pm

Perks

Postby Perks » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:29 pm

googieagog
Modern Master

Postby googieagog » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:43 pm

Nothing beats the style, and in some cases quality, of vintage appliances. We had them in our former house and they looked great. But they were unrestored and we got tired of the repairs, down time and defrosting. Professionally restored vintage gas ranges and frost-free fridges cost more than new. Most of the reproductions are cheezy for the price. So we went with new stainless in our current house. Stainless may be a cliche (and shows fingerprints) but it's also pretty timeless as seen in many an original MCM kitchen.

scandimod
Modern Socialite

Postby scandimod » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:41 am

**Ahem**

Since I detect some enthusiasm in this thread for the merits of restoring vintage appliances, I'll slip in a plug for my still-available 1960 Westinghouse terrace-top stove if nobody minds :)

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=10889

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:35 am

I will add that, both refrigerators and especially dishwashers are available "fully integrated" In other words you cover them with panels that match the kitchen cabinetry. They don't show at all. For a fridge, this costs substantially more, but can be quite reasonable for a dishwasher. Dishwashers especially stick out visually to me.

savagebeat
Modern Groupie

Postby savagebeat » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:45 pm

Own a mid-century home, just not a MCM, so sorry for the intrusion but I am looking for appliance options also. Specifically a fridge. Most modern fridges are too tall to fit under my metal kitchen cabinets. Looking for something 65 1/2" tall at most. Any leads on anyone in Southern California that refurbishes vintage fridges? Or anyone who makes a retro style that short?

Regards -- Mike

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:26 pm

classic form. how did you resolve the appliances? was it posted and i missed it?
and this vintage photo is a fine example of classic built-ins. such a shame they are only available in high-end now.
seems we had a 25yr stretch starting in the 70's where cheap appliances were awful and disposable.
integrated seems to be an affordable european thing now. i just hope it catches on here.
i hope you don't mind me re-posting. it is fantastic.
and not all the wood was painted? the walk-thru photo shows the cabinets still raw (mahogany?)
and what did you do to restore them?

classic form

Postby classic form » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:45 am

We wanted to keep the original redwood cabinets you see on the right, they were not painted, so we were limited to the original size appliances. the stack at the far end is a dishwasher, oven and then a door wrapped in stainless at the top. All at 24". That really limited our choices but found that Gaggenau made a line of 24" that we could use. They were not available in Stainless but they had a very nice aluminum with glass front that we went with. My wife really liked the oven because it opens from the side and makes it easier for her to access. The door above the oven is what they call a microwave door, designed to put an oven behind, we just use it for storage. The additional space that was left over above the door we filled with redwood that was behind the original stainless covered door.

The Fridge is Sub-Zero as it too was about all we could find to fit (width wise). The height was different from the original so we had to have a new redwood louver fabricated to replace the original.

We didn't refinish or really restore the redwood doors, I cleaned them up a little to remove the build up of body oil around the door handles, removed the piano hinges and cleaned them (they were very yellow, sticky, greasey, nasty) and rehung the doors. The flooring was pulled up along with two subfloors, new subfloors installed new VCT, removed and did not replace a garbage disposal (it showed under the counter and I didn't like seeing it) and I guess that's about it.

Living with a small 24" oven, original electric cooktop, no microwave, no garbage disposal and small 33" and shallow fridge isn't hard for just my Wife and I. We don't entertain but once or twice a year and its a good working kitchen. The only thing that hurts is that we can only fit 3 small cookie sheets in the oven when its Oatmeal Raisin time.

I'm sure it will be a hard sell when a family of 4-5 is looking at the place.

classic form

Postby classic form » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:13 am

Check out the left and right hand stainless Hotpoints for 12k!!

http://www.antiqueappliances.com/unrestored.htm

Stoves only on this one...

http://www.dreamstoves.com/
Last edited by classic form on Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:18 am

Trying to get my sense of direction here (I get lost in a closet)

Is the new fridge where the oven used to be and the "stack" where the fridge used to be?

classic form

Postby classic form » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:21 am

Nope...they are in the same place. I think that it's just two different views, one east to west and one west to east. The original photo is west to east. The other walk through shot was taken east to west.

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:09 am

my footprint is also 24inch for the oven.
you are correct. not many options. didn't know about the Gaggenau. looks great. and the woodwork etc.
i also refuse to adjust/butcher the original cabinets. we also inherited the white-fridge-sticking-out look.

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:27 am

this has the simple controls we're looking for.
http://www.ajmadison.com/phpdocs/ajtest ... DEBIGE2440
the last digital read oven we had, though a low end one, was replaced three times. the part was
consistently out of stock, so they just brought over a new one. we had to hang on to the extra insurance
for years.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”