Problems going from floor to wall toilet

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

apower
Modern Fan

Problems going from floor to wall toilet

Postby apower » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:23 pm

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:44 pm

Well they still make wall mounted toilets and you will typically see them in "higher-end" bath remodels, such as in Met Home.

What you don't fully explain is the reasons your plumbers are reluctant. For example, I assume it requires the movement off the waste pipe into the wall which would require cutting through the stud plate. Also, many require 6" studs for secure mounting.

Here is some discussion of such toilets
scowsa

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:24 pm

The concerns scowsa cites are certainly the ones I would have. Some plumbing and other building elements are designed into the structure from the beginning.

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

domus48
Modern Socialite

Postby domus48 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:33 am

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:19 am

Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:46 am

There's a big difference between installing a new wall mounted, tank in the wall toilet and putting in a vintage one. What is missing in this case is the flange and mounting that went into the wall in 1959. I would imagine that indeed those parts are no longer available. The missing parts probably got trashed with the whole house or the bin that left with a bath remodel. You could try contacting American Standard directly. Otherwise, start looking for a matching floor mounted model.

apower
Modern Fan

Postby apower » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:51 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:06 pm

Well, you wouldn't have to do the inside, would you ? A two-tone job would look extra deluxe, hidden when seat and lid are down. But is this a good idea ? Does anybody powder coat over a ceramic surface ?

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Chimay
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Chimay » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:08 pm

I realize that you're trying to restore a vintage wall-mounted toilet and not install a new one, so this is probably irrelevant for you. But I just wanted to chime in to say that we converted our toilets from floor mounted to wall mounted when we did the work on our house. We used new Duravit toilets, and they had a wall-mounted steel frame tank kit that is made for residential use. It wasn't that difficult to install for our otherwise incompetent plumber and carpenters, although it certainly did involve moving the drain holes and rebuilding the wall studs.
Friends don't let friends live in McMansions
House pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/88017382@N ... 387250721/

googieagog
Modern Master

Postby googieagog » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:13 am

Recoloring of fixtures typically is done with an electrostatic sprayed enamel, rather than powder coat. Resprayed fixtures don't hold up well. They often stain and chip within a few years, leaving you with an unsightly and irrepairable mess.

You are better off searching the Web & local salvage yards for the correct, matching floor-mounted fixture. Many of the vintage colors were produced for decades -- as long as the color matches, you don't necessarily have to match the year/model of your sink. It helps your search to know the original color name. Ask to borrow a Bemis color chart from your local hardware store or plumbing supply, or bring in the tank lid or bolt caps, to determine the exact color.

As for the wall mount, if you have space to play with, ask your plumbers about building a dummy wall in front of the existing wall. That would hide the new waste line without cutting up existing structure.

googieagog
Modern Master

Postby googieagog » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:34 am

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”