Smart Strip paint remover

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
scandimod
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Smart Strip paint remover

Postby scandimod » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:03 pm

Has anyone tried Smart Strip paint remover? I’m told it is an improved version of Peelaway 7 without the paper; it is from the same manufacturer.

I recently bought 10 gallons of Smart Strip and over the next few weeks we will be tackling about 500 sf of ceiling beams and tongue-in-groove decking in the carport, which has at least 4-5 layers of paint. I’m converting it to living space. (There are compelling functional and aesthetic reasons for doing this, and eventually I will build a new carport compatible with the style of the house. Trust me, I’ve had 18 years to think about it …)

I decided on Peelaway 7 over other mechanical or heat-based methods based on forum searches, and in particular JXBrown’s helpfully detailed descriptions of how he/she used this product. Sherwin Williams in Bellingham directed me to Smart Strip instead of the Peelaway 7, and said the contractors love it (SW does carry Peelaway in Canada but it is 3 times the price!). Smart Strip is also non hazardous and environmentally friendly.

Our main issue is getting the space sufficiently enclosed so that we can get the temperature up to a minimum 60 degrees so the product will work most efficiently. If anyone has tried Smart Strip, please share your experience.

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:33 pm

i would suggest testing it to see if does the job you want with ease.
the big challenge is temperature. sealing off too tight may also seal in some
un-healthy air. some very safe products create some un-safe fumes while they are
working their magic.
if you are concerned about tapping into a 10gal that cannot be returned, try a small
container of it. you could even test at a lower temp. it may work for you at 40 or 50.

scandimod
Modern Socialite

Postby scandimod » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:57 pm

Yes, I did just that ... I bought one 5-gal and five 1-gal pails so I could start with the one gallon. I bought the whole lot at once because SW gave me a good price (and it's an hour's drive from my place). I explained to them what I wanted to use it for and got their assurance that I could return the unopened product if it didn't work out. They seemed confident that it would.

We did try a test spot last week and left it overnight, but temps were around freezing (the carport is not enclosed yet, still at the framing stage) and it took off only the top few layers. You could see that it was working, though, within a few hours of application. So I have great hopes for a far better result at higher temps.

I'm also leery about claims re: non-toxicity, especially after reading the material safety data sheet, so will keep things well ventilated.

jenkinshouse
Modern Master

Please keep us informed of your progress on this!

Postby jenkinshouse » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:40 am

Please take pictures and send along your progress on this. I am thinking of trying to take off some paint from brick.

I need to know the amount of the stripper you need per sq. ft. to calculate my costs and figure out if it's worth it.

I am just too jealous of the people I know with exposed brick in their houses while mine is painted! Then if it works inside, who knows, maybe we'll do outside as well.
Jason

JXBrown
Modern Master

Postby JXBrown » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:10 pm

When I used Peel-Away 7 on no more than 2 coats of paint, I think I used a gallon for about 30-40 sq-ft. Although the stuff is expensive, if you value your labor at minimum wage or so, the paint stripper is cheap. We found the cheapest price on the internet for 5 gallon tubs.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”