Our P&K Storybook Cottage...

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Our P&K Storybook Cottage...

Postby Perks » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:53 pm

It's official!!

At long last, we finally closed on our new P&K home in North Hills' Storybook Village tract.

Our modest little place is nothing compared to some of the masterpieces I know some of you own, but it's definitely a diamond in the rough and it's going to shine after a little (ok, a LOT) of cosmetic work.

Once we get some new paint, and fix the floors, and gut/replace the kitchen, and do some landscaping, and strip/stain the ceiling, and touch up the pool, and replace the lighting, and install central A/C, and repair a few walls, and replace a couple doors, and repair some bathroom cabinetry, and do some work on the pool, and (OK, now I'm scaring myself)...it's gonna look great.

I might have linked to this before, but more pics of the house are . At this point we're tackling the basics--flooring, ceilings, and interior paint--before we move in, but I'm sure I'll be posing lots of questions once we're in.

Wish us luck. Given the condition of the house, we're definitely gonna be needing it. :cheers:
Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

babyblue65bird
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby babyblue65bird » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:06 pm

Congratulations, Perks! - Nice house!
Where are we going & what are we doing in this handbasket?

Josquin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

congratulations

Postby Josquin » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:19 pm

Congratulations! I love those P&K houses in Storybook Village. Show the neighbors what can be done! And don't forget to send pictures. :D

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:35 pm

"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Luka
Modern Master

Postby Luka » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:26 pm

Perks

Postby Perks » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:39 pm

Thanks all!

Josquin -- you bet there will be plenty of pictures. I'm excited to see how it all comes together. There are a handful of people who "get it" in the neighborhood but lots of folks who don't. (One of the houses has a brick facade and Spanish tile roof--eek!) I met one of our new neighbors last weekend (the other house is headed toward foreclosure so I doubt I'll bother introducing myself), and he seemed thrilled that we were planning on putting a rock roof back on, doing a more striking & appropriate paint scheme, and tastefully xeriscaping the front yard. His house is far from being original, but he seemed to appreciate why we're into the style. So, hopefully we'll spur some interest in the neighborhood. It's got so much potential. Hopefully all it needs is a few seeds to grow.

SDR -- I'll address a few of your comments here. The floor plan roughly resembles the from the Valwood Estates tract, although they moved some doors/walls around a bit when they enlarged the floor plan. The original owner combined the two "upper" bedrooms into one larger room. The house was built in '56, so it's possible some subtle Cliff May influences made their way into this version of the design. Although, it's hard to say if it's by design or by chance considering how many variations of the rectangular floor plan there are scattered throughout L.A...and I hesitate to draw comparisons because a P&K house is such an entirely different beast than a CM.

Luka, I have been pleasantly surprised at our experience with the Michael Kaake folks so far. They really know what they're doing.

We start the work tomorrow. Wish us luck...

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:46 pm

Geez, the guest suite is connected to the kitchen. Lock the refrigerator !

That would make a great office, though. I wonder if anyone has broken that open to the living room, for a dining space ?

I'm so happy for you. It's sweet.

SDR

Perks

Postby Perks » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:49 pm

Not sure how the original plan was configured in our house, but at some point there was a door in the same spot. However, the closet is in the wall that abuts the living room, and the bathroom is on the third wall, and there's a set of french doors. Not sure how it ever could have been a bedroom as there's nowhere to actually PUT a bed. (It's definitely gonna be our office.)

I haven't seen it done myself, but I've heard that converting the guest suite into a dining room wasn't entirely unheard of. Not something I'm considering...we never have enough people over to fill the tiny dining room we have now. :D

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:53 pm

Yeah, that's not for everybody.

The May comparison was mostly the window form with its strong and slightly below-center cross mullion.

SDR

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:06 pm

good job Perks! I look forward to seeing more of your house.

There was a period in the early-mid '50s where P&K, Cliff May, Ed Fickett, Jones & Emmons and Anshen & Allen were all designing homes similar to yours. Good, simple design.

Best of luck

streinen
Modern Master

Postby streinen » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:10 pm

Congrats, cool place.

I like the offset pattern used in the cinder block wall on the property line. The Valley is full of walls using the same rose-tinted blocks, but without the offsets creating the interesting shadows.

DFWmidmodfan
Modern Socialite

Postby DFWmidmodfan » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:12 pm

That's a house with a lot of potential. You have your work cut out for you...but it will be a labor of love, most certainly. From the pics the house "bones" apear pretty stout...but man those kitchen cabinets gotta go! :D

For the pool...go get a shock packet from a pool dealer, follow the directions, put one in, circulate the dickens out of the water, backwashing the filter often. When the green crap dies it should fall to the bottom of the pool, where you can vacuum it out. Beats having to drain the pool!

Another pool tip...get a creepie crawlie...they are your friend!

Your house reminds me of my childhood neighborhood in Dallas. They weren't P & K homes, but they were similar in style, with the gentler pitch gable roofs, broad overhangs, mid-century splashes like fieldstone and globe pendant lights, etc. You'd have a hard time knowing the neighborhood was that way nowadays...too much muddling by home center commandos...even my childhood home (the drawing of which is my avatar) fell victim to "muddlement".
Eric Green's DFW mid-mod site:
www.cosmicool.com

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:57 pm

2 gallons of pool chlorine should kill most of the algae. Pour it into the return to the filter where it will shock the filter and kill anything in there. If you have black algae, that's a problem as it's more like epoxy algae. You need to scrape it with a stainless steel brush for the chlorine to attack it.

Tony
Tony Merchell

Architectural Photographer
www.glassandsteel.com

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:36 pm

Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:59 am

"Better Living Through Modernism"

BOXOUTBM
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby BOXOUTBM » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:09 am

Perks

Postby Perks » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:31 pm

Well, the work has begun. I know some of you have already found the ... I don't think I have the energy to keep up a blog on top of my hectic work schedule and all the renovations, I do hope to photograph our progress. So far most of the flooring is out and I'm making progress on the ceilings.

My favorite moment so far: peeling back some tacky drywall and insulation to reveal a gorgeous beam ceiling. I could just squeal at the fact that they hadn't been painted over.

Unfortunately, the roofers drove hundreds of nails through the planks so we'll have some repair work to do once the current roof is torn off and the new one (correctly) installed.

Re: the pool -- I'm no stranger to the joys of pool maintenance, and fortunately the seller did shock the pool so that's out of the way. Unfortunately I can't get the pool pump to work properly so I'm going to have to call in the pros for that.

Today was uninteresting--mostly patching work, but I'll keep y'all posted on the big projects. Tomorrow and the weekend will involve some more big projects, so will definitely have photos from then...

Thanks all for the support and encouragement!

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:40 pm

Go go go ! (Imagine I'm a high school cheerleader instead of an old fart.)

Enjoy the process ! :cheers: :cheers:

SDR

PS -- Ask Joe and others about nails through the roof planks. . . :roll:

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:34 pm

that ceiling is looking great. restore it. The roof is begging for a tar and gravel resto with assorted white rocks. do it!

travelteam
Modern Socialite

Postby travelteam » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:21 pm

Awesome place! Much of your "to do" list sounds familiar...

If you are going to take up that mastic under the tile, Bean-e-doo works great.

Congrats!

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:03 pm

I'll second the Bean-e-do. Here's how to use it:
Spread a reasonable area. (like 10x10 or so)
Let the product sit. (an hour? check the bucket)
Use a squeegee to pull the mastic into a puddle.
Dump absorbent on the puddle. (like cat litter or garage floor cleaner)
Mop with a good degreaser and hot water. (a string mop and wringer bucket)
Keep mopping until you have clean concrete.
Then rinse a couple of times more.
Enjoy plain concrete just like when the house was built.
Do this before painting!

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Seems you're rather

Postby modfan » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:13 am

Lucky, I've seen some worse ones that essentially amount to house torture.
Can wait for the 'after' pics.

PacificaModern
Modern Master

Postby PacificaModern » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:31 am

sparklegem
Modern Master

Postby sparklegem » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:08 pm

Perks!! Your house is so cool and it is super exciting to see all the work that you have already completed. I am so impressed with the way that you two have really jumped in! Can't wait to come see it. I do not think that we will be able to wait until you are finished. We would love to see before, during and after

Perks

Postby Perks » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:47 pm

Thanks again everyone. Progress has been chugging along and the interior demo work is, for the most part, complete. Now we're working our way through the ceilings (I've got one room stripped and stained) and then on to the walls from there. I've posted some more shots of this week's progress on my site (for those who haven't already been watching).

Hardwood flooring is on its way. Appliances have all been delivered. Carpet for a couple bedrooms will be installed in a couple weeks.

Put the order in for the kitchen cabinets tonight and, once we have a delivery date, will be able to schedule the installation. Tomorrow's job is to order new light fixtures. I'm amazed that we've been able to get so many of the pieces in place so far. We may even be able to move in a couple weeks earlier than planned.

Of course, I'm absolutely exhausted, both physically and mentally. I managed to take a fall off a ladder (apparently I missed a step while coming down), and managed to simultaneously bruise my tailbone, twist my ankle, wrench my wrist, and manage to spill a pint or so of paint stripper all over myself. I'm not sure whether my throbbing back or the chemical burns hurt more. Fortunately I'm still in one piece and I managed to land a few inches away from a window instead of going through it. Note to self: watch the footing.

I've got a 5-gallon bucket of Bean-e-Doo en route to the new house--I've heard plenty of praise for the product on this and other boards so I knew it had to be good. I'm looking forward to seeing the results. Egads--always appreciate the advice from someone who's done it before.

Gem--come on over anytime. But I may hand you a paintbrush as you walk in the door. :wink:

Now it's off to crash for the night before dragging myself up again tomorrow to repeat the process. Boy am I looking forward to this being over...Someday.

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:32 am

tip: when working with the look into getting the best (most powerful) wet/dry vac you can with a plug @ the bottom for easy draining (and maybe one that moves around like a dolly rather than R2-D2)... we didn't have as much luck with the product and bailed out and we simply had too much floor and while the bean-e-doo worked, there were many steps in the process, including clean-up (for which the wet-dry vac is good). we used a "purple" degreaser with great results... there's some generic ones on the market that follow the same formulation as castrol's super-clean. it took a couple of passes and then i neutralized the alkaline degreaser with a weak bleach solution (which also helped with mold/mildew on the damp floors).

edit: in looking through your flickr images, you've got a lot of black mastic. the bean-e-doo will remove the mass, but maybe not the stains the mastic leaves... not sure if you're planning on recovering the floor with something. i can't tell, too, if you have "white" mastic, too (or if it's thinset), but the bean-e-doo did not work well on our white/tan mastic, just the black stuff. if you do plan on covering -- like with VCT -- the installers will likely need to level with ardex for which not all of the mastic needs to be removed (and a good use of a grinder -- to give the base a bit of a bite-surface).

edit: of course each situation is different... have fun and good luck.
Last edited by redneckmodern on Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:28 am

I can tell you that you did not use Bean-e-do correctly. I ended up with floors that could have been left as raw concrete. As clean as when they were poured. I did have small areas that needed follow up. There was also the faint pattern of the original floor tiles. The key is waiting. And maybe the season. I did mine at about this time of year. I'm sure in the summer it would dry too quickly and need rewetting. After waiting the alloted time, I would try the squeegee, if it did not scrape clean, I waited some more. The squeegee was a large floor one with a long handle. I got everything but the Bean-e-do at a janitorial supply. It's really important to keep the areas small enough to work. If you cannot reach across with the long handled squeegee, you are stepping into the muck. (and then tracking it all over) Also the puddle will be too large. I often started mopping around the absorbent pile just to make getting down on knees to scrape it up into a lined trash can more pleasant. When degreasing, the hotter the water, the better. In this case Perks is not trying to have concrete floors, just clean enough to place new flooring over.

Miguel
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Miguel » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:27 am

Congrats on your purchase, Perks! You have quite a bit of work to do, but take your time. I'll be glad you did.

I agree with Egads: giving Bean-e-doo enough time to act really makes a difference. I'd recommend using 1.5-2 hours minimum to get good liquification.

I did approximately 800 sqft of black mastic and it worked very well to remove most of it. I was left with some areas of residual where I had to go over again at a later date. Using a wide squeegee works very well to concentrate the mastic in one location prior to using cat litter or other pick up aid.

De-greasing is essential after mastic removal. I just used the Franmar degreaser (ordered at the same time) that worked very well in cleaning the slab.

This is how the slab looked after the first pass:
and after second application, slab polishing and new kitchen:

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:06 am

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:28 am

Yes indeed, I apologize for the choice of terms. You should have seen us with full suits removing the tile.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”