more fences... (yes I did search!) need more pictures

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
happy modernists in MN
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

more fences... (yes I did search!) need more pictures

Postby happy modernists in MN » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:24 pm

Hi there, I just spent the last 2 hours searching the posts re mcm fences, and many of the pictures are gone or were on yahoo photos (which is now closed) or old albums that aren't valid anymore. Many listers talked of future projects/ideas etc.

Soooo, it would be great if those with cool fences could post pictures again or privately send me links to their photo albums. We are starting to look at having a back yard fence built. I have the following books: the Sunset book from 1971, the Ortho book from 1985, and a little book called "How to Build" by Bernard Gladstone.

We want a wood privacy fence, one that we can afford but looks cool and fits with our 1957 tuck-under ranch. There is a slight hill going up at the far end of our property. We're leaning toward tightly louvered one with a flat top. It seems that it would look more authentic painted, I haven't seen many vintage pictures of fences that aren't painted, I may be wrong?

It needs to look just right, I'm soo sick of the Home Depot & Mc Mansion fences.

Thanks in advance
Krissy in MN
I like pink toilets, pink kitchens, lambretta sx200's and bianchinas.

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:57 pm

I know searching can be frustrating so here are some fence threads you might not have found, recalled by me because of the participants -- so I searched by name.

scowsa

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:54 pm

Well. . .

My photos from "Before You Build a House" (1953) are still available:

"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:20 pm

nice photos SDR. seems to cover all budgets and addresses various privacy needs.

for a solid fence and smaller lot in the back with a pool, i really like Perks fence. (his new home)
i should add a link, but it is a recent post.
hard to tell in the photos, but i think it is solid block with a minimal staggered pattern?

not sure what your lot looks like and how much privacy you need?
photos?

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:34 pm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/teamperks/ ... 710286000/

Maybe -- I just see nice-colored standard running-bond block. Do makers still offer warm-colored block ?

I think the wood fences above could have come from Sunset books, as I recall them -- or maybe the architects above inspired Sunset ?

SDR

happy modernists in MN
Modern Socialite

more fence talk/wood preservatives

Postby happy modernists in MN » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:44 pm

Thanks all, I appreciate it! I know fences have been talked about a million times already on this board. Tomorrow I can take some pics of the backyard. We really need this fence, our neighbors in back of us have naughty boys that pee in our back yard, and them and their dad choose to bat baseballs into our house. Not fun when you have a 2 year old (and when you hear the baseballs hit the roof.) The other sort of issue is that no one around us has a fence, much less a privacy fence, much less some crazy mcm fence. Oh WELL! (We do live 1 block from an Alcoa house, and other sort of quiet but cool 50's houses). I want this fence to look so cool, but unfortunately we have to weigh in price.

The other issue is, is anyone here a bit concerned about all the wood preservatives? Hey you Californians, are there any new restrictions about wood preservatives? I know when I start calling around to get bids it's going to be fun (NOT).

Krissy in MN

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Include a price on generic chain link of whatever height you need. You can grow something that will cover it with green. A zig-zag form will be more interesting and shouldn't need as much stabilizing footings (it seems to me).

SDR

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:10 am

scowsa

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:01 pm

gh1
Modern Groupie

Postby gh1 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:29 am

We have been discussing privacy fencing at our new home as well. We're looking to create courtyard defining spaces inside the existing fence line. So, we're looking more at panels than a run of fence. However this is what we've come up with as an initial design concept.

rosenlof/lucas landscape design (which happens to be out of Minneapolis) uses corrugated steel panels above a set of horizontal cedar spans.

Looks like they used galvanized but we are going to use "Corten" so that it will rust and provide a more "earthy" finish. Info .

We haven't sourced the material yet -- but we like the design concept.

_____
gh1

happy modernists in MN
Modern Socialite

Narrowed it down to 3 fence styles, started the process!

Postby happy modernists in MN » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:14 am

Hi, thanks for all the replies, I appreciate all the input & ideas. I finally put some pictures into shutterfly. We are getting estimates for 3 styles of 6' privacy fence: a batten board (like Joe's), a vertical louvered, and a horizontal louvered. There are to be no open spaces between the slats in all three styles, and all would have a flat top with no (I like to call them) dingleberries. I believe it would end up being about 170 feet of fence with 2 gates.

If anyone is interested, I can post the estimates on LL when I get them! So far there are 6 contractors coming over, all of them I found on Angie's List. Two of them do their own work. I've read a lot of reviews on Angies, and the one's that do the bidding and the work seem to respect your time, lawn, and neighbors more, and also tend to do a better job and have better customer service. I'm hoping that this older man who came out today gets the job, because he's been in business since 1959 and probably has put up many older styles of fences, more so than most of the joe blows who come up and put up Home Depot type fences.

I love the idea of moveable louvers, and they'd be fun to have, but I don't see us using them because the main point of the whole fence is for privacy. Also I don't know how they would withstand our gentle Minnesota winters.

The first pictures are some examples were showing the fence contractors. The next pictures are of our little backyard (approx 55 deep x 55 across). Please note my 2 y.o. daughters modernist slide/house (LOL). Next are pictures of interesting fence/backyard things.

I think we are going to stick to cedar, the more I've read about wood/plastic composites are that they can rot & mold, and that you need to clean them with chemicals at least once a year. I think it would be out of our price range anyway. We can't use plastic in our suburb as a fence material, so that kinda narrows it down to wood for us.

Thanks Izzy for the eco paint/stain idea, I might be emailing you later this summer!

gh1 - that looks interesting! I'm going to check out that company you mentioned. Good luck with your project!

I wish we had the time to design & put this up ourselves, but with work and a 2 year old it would take all summer. I dread doing this on so many levels. Keep sending ideas & comments!
Krissy in Minnesota

modernvintage
Modern Socialite

Postby modernvintage » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:22 pm

Ahh fences, sorry about the delay getting these posted. I was hoping to take some new photos. we are getting to ready to replace our fences. We are going with board and batten to match the house but they had a redwood split rail.

you can see the fence through the window

Behind the pool

House siding we're going to match

D&JW

BOXOUTBM
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby BOXOUTBM » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:42 am

Bumped this Up. I found this Fence Manufacturer out Of Santa Barbara. Interesting Stuff.

http://www.louvretecusa.com/ProductRang ... ences.html

lasquirrel
Modern Master

Postby lasquirrel » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:14 pm

Sheryl

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:54 pm

Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:21 am

I suggest searching your favorite used book web site for Sunset books from the period you want. Give your self a 5 year range as good examples took time to make into publication. Sunset published several books on nothing but fences and gates. Many Modern examples.

Also, old copies of Sunset, House Beautiful, House & Garden, House & Home, Better Homes and Gardens magazines can be found on ebay for cheap-cheap.

happy modernists in MN
Modern Socialite

thanks for the posts!

Postby happy modernists in MN » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:34 pm

The Louvertec stuff is SWEET! (and probably way out of our price range.) Today :roll: we are going with an "alternating bay" horizontal cedar fence. Looks like it will run us about $6000 for 170' of 6' western cedar without knots. I have never seen this fence up; we picked it out of an old Sunset or Ortho book. Very cool fence, it has a finished look on both sides, and will continue the horizontal lines of the house. There is a picture of it on my shutterfly somewhere. It will have no gaps and we need to decide if it's going to be on 8' or 6' centers for the posts. I think it has a vintage 5t's look to it and it's a good compromise money-wise. We will stain it with a tint ourselves (I HATE the orangy color of cedar.) I need to check out Izzy's husbands' company for eco-friendly stain/sealer.

I just added a picture of the alternating bay fence.

krissy in mn
Last edited by happy modernists in MN on Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:55 pm

merritt
Modern Socialite

Postby merritt » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:30 pm

I recently wandered around Venice Beach just to snap some photos of fences since they are a very common sight around the area. Here are a some photos of my findings:

more here:

happy modernists in MN
Modern Socialite

THE FENCE IS IN!

Postby happy modernists in MN » Fri May 23, 2008 11:16 am

It's been a long process, from coming up with designs, to bidding it out (7 different companies) to taking trees down, to dealing with neighbors, you name it. It's done and we like it, and I guess that's all that matters :roll:
Here are some pictures if anyone is interested.
Thanks for all the input!!!
Next is the ecofriendly low voc sealer stain search... (thanks Izzy, I might be sending your hubby an email soon.)

Kristin in Minnesota

AJ Fisher
Modern Master

more fences

Postby AJ Fisher » Thu May 29, 2008 8:38 pm

This is a photo of the fence we've been installing; clean and simple. It replaces a fence that looked almost identical to this one in profile. Instead of wood posts, we've gone for galvanized steel. They are not visible and will obviously last much longer. The wood is cedar and will age to a driftwood gray. We are building and installing pedestrian and vehicle gates to match.

lasquirrel
Modern Master

fence

Postby lasquirrel » Fri May 30, 2008 11:40 am

Sheryl

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”