window film - any thoughts?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
wwilber
Modern Master

window film - any thoughts?

Postby wwilber » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:46 pm

Saw an ad for this today, and checked out the website

Any ideas on whether or not this stuff works? Anyone tried it? The cost seems reasonable, just wondering about any actual benefits.

CapitalMod
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby CapitalMod » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:40 pm

Hmmm...I am a bit skeptical. It does not have the "Energy Star" seal of approval from the Dept of Energy. That does not necessarily mean its of no use, but lots of things in that department have it.

As for retaining heat, I doubt it would hurt, but to keep heat in you basically have to cover the entire window so the heat or drafts do not come in or out via the seams and openings. I use that plastic that you attach with two sided tape and then seal with a blow dryer. Its not pretty, but it beats that draft hitting my head.

I don't know what kind of windows you have. Mine are more traditional. However, I was sizing up a Charles Goodman built house which had the huge, midmod windows. The owner had placed plastic panels on the main one in the living room. A neighbor pointed it out. Looked good, although again, any R value would be minimal. But better than nothing.

Those of us not in SoCal or Florida fight an never ending battle to insulate properly. :cry:

oldskoolboarder
Modern Socialite

Postby oldskoolboarder » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:13 pm

I had my entire 5 br Eichler filmed. Most of the large pane windows are the original single pane. Some of the other rooms have new double pane which I did not do.

We had custom colors chosen for our house so I didn't want tinted film. We opted for clear film. It wasn't cheap, maybe around $4.5K? Our house has no insulation and heating/cooling is a major issue. I can honestly say that filming the windows makes ZERO difference in insulating the house.

We are doing a major roof overhaul and at that point, we will insulate the roof. I feel that we'll get more bang for the buck there.

luciteflower
Modern Fan

Window film

Postby luciteflower » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:22 am

I don't know about the energy film but I am totally sold on window film when it comes to privacy. The 50's ranch I bought already had window film on most of the windows (and I have the wall of windows). I love the fact that I can look out but no one can see in (unless a light is on). I want to put it on the remaining windows.

lasquirrel
Modern Master

film

Postby lasquirrel » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:45 am

Sheryl

Dallasmodern
Modern Master

Postby Dallasmodern » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:55 pm

Most film over clear glass will likely reduce UV light. If you've ever had a piece of red or blue furniture backed to a wall near a window... you already know what I'm talking about. As far as significantly reducing thermal transmission through a window I would be very skeptical. There are so many variables such as the placement of the window(s), glazing, frames, etc. to determine this product's effectiveness. However, I doubt any harm could be done applying this to a couple of windows on an exposed prominent side of the home. Keep us posted…

Miguel
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Miguel » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:03 am

My place used to have multiple layers of window film on the clerestory windows, especially in the western-facing windows. Never found it to have any obvious energy conservation benefits, so we removed all the layers with no guilt whatsoever.

Although, because the house has large windows with western and eastern exposure, we decided to create a sun barrier out of black shade-cloth and metal gromits (commonly found in hardware stores) in the shape of the windows. We only use these "shades" up during the Summer months and pull them out afterwards, given that direct sunlight always helps warm up the house in Fall, Winter, and Spring. These shades are secured using small metal hooks (barely noticeable) behind the large beam that supports the roof overhang as shown below and still provide see-through character when seen from the inside. I understand that this is not a viable solution for everyone, but it has worked very well in our situation - it substantially reduces solar heat gain when used.

kandersen
Modern Master

Postby kandersen » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:04 pm

I can't speak to the claims of window film makers, but adding film may void warranties on newer double glazed windows.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”