New Long Beach Rancho Cliff May owner

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

merritt
Modern Socialite

New Long Beach Rancho Cliff May owner

Postby merritt » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:32 pm

I want to say hello to everyone, particularly the Long Beach Rancho owners. I have been lurking on this board for some time now. I restrained from posting until this point though because I thought it might jinx my chances of finding the perfect MCM home. However, thanks to Doug Kramer and his Rancho Style website, I will be in possession of a wonderful Long Beach Cliff May home by the end of the week.

The previous owners did not have the house for long, but they understood the style and did some good work to it while they were there. They renovated the kitchen, re-did the bathrooms, installed cork flooring throughout and overhauled the electrical details. They sadly had to sell the house though as it seemed it unexpectedly did not fit their life with twin babies. I hope to maintain the character of what they started though. I have included a couple pictures below. The first thing I want to tackle is getting the garage cleaned up with an epoxy coated floor and windows on the front. It is an area of the house I intend to spend a lot of time.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:20 pm

Welcome to the neighborhood. I saw that house and thought it was a good deal. Lets hope your loan appraiser thought so too. :D

Do tell what you mean by putting windows in the garage? Some of us are preservationist Nazis and will give you a lot of grief if we think it's not "correct" :P Here's my suggestion: Get some glass into the gables. Buy some of the real Cliff May windows Joe has for sale:

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=11600

But put them on the back, not facing the street. If you want even more light and/or views, check out the aluminum and glass garage doors. There are a couple of examples here in the Ranchos. One on the redone (to within and inch of it's life) house on Stevely and another set, on a garage just like yours, on Karen right where Rosebay meets it. On the west side of the street. Those doors are pricey. But cheap Home Depot like garage doors look like do do on our houses. I did some research, and we are talking 6-8 grand! But we are counting on you to keep up the good work started by the previous owners. :D

merritt
Modern Socialite

Postby merritt » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:49 pm

By putting windows back in the garage I mean putting the triangular windows back into the gables that were originally there.

travelteam
Modern Socialite

Postby travelteam » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:06 pm

Congratulations. This is a fantastic neighborhood and you got a really great house to boot. It would take a lot more than a set of twins to get me to leave. :D

BOXOUTBM
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby BOXOUTBM » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:43 am

Congrats and Welcome to the Neighborhood. That is a Great house. Let us know if you need any additional advise, there a a few of us with tons of personal hands on knowledge

BOXOUTBM

Postby BOXOUTBM » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:43 am

Congrats and Welcome to the Neighborhood. That is a Great house. Let us know if you need any additional advise, there a a few of us with tons of personal hands on knowledge

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:54 pm

congrats and welcome to the bigger neighborhood.

be sure to order yourself a copy of the new Cliff May book due dout next week. It's great.

lasquirrel
Modern Master

welcome

Postby lasquirrel » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:24 am

welcome to the neighborhood! You live on my favorite street - I rented down the street before I could afford to buy here! I have a great company that redid the windows in our garage - very happy. If you need the name let me know! BTW get to know the neighbors they're really sweet.
WELCOME!!!
Sheryl

mr. and mrs. meow
Modern Socialite

Re: New Long Beach Rancho Cliff May owner

Postby mr. and mrs. meow » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:56 pm

welcome welcome and congrats on the new place!

we also visited during the open houses and i do love that kitchen of yours.
see ya around! (we're on kallin)

-rachel & ephraim
it's good. ...for now.

fillmore
Modern Socialite

Postby fillmore » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:27 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:06 pm

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:51 am

Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

denagirl
Modern Fan

Postby denagirl » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:18 am

Your new house is awesome! I also remember this house being posted awhile ago. Can we get more kitchen shots, and do you know who makes those kitchen cabinets? I am starting to research and pull scrap for a kitchen redo at some point and would love to see who makes the cabinets.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:21 am

In the Long Beach Ranchos, the surrounding homes have mostly smaller lots. Those houses also were smaller, usually with only one bath. (most have now been added onto) Comps for the Ranchos are good, only dragged down recently by some foreclosures, short sales and probates. Thanks to Doug Kramer for selling the flip on Stevely for over 800k. Really helps up the average. But of course will effect any property tax reduction I may have seen this year.

merritt
Modern Socialite

Postby merritt » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:56 pm

The appraisal was done based on other sales within the Cliff May Ranchos. However, without an appraiser that understood the exact area, things would have been much more difficult.

I have included some more kitchen photos below. Doug kind of snuck into one shot. I will get new photos when I get myself situated in a couple weeks. The photos I have all show the house with the previous owner's belongings.

The previous owners also left me photos given to them by the home's original owner showing the house in all its original glory. In the not too distant future I might get some scanned in for everyone's viewing pleasure.

vlopez
Modern Socialite

Welcome!

Postby vlopez » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:31 am

You've got a great house- I visited it at one of the open houses. I love your cork floors! Also, Joe ( the carpenter who did your kitchen) also did mine. So if you ever need to get ahold of him I have his info. He's wonderful!

Welcome to the neighborhood! Enjoy!

Val (on Karen)

GO BRUINS!!

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:36 am

Hi! great house,
id be interested in seeing more pics of that fridge cabinet. whats on the other side of it? shelving?
we're facing a situation in our kitchen that may call for something like that.
Thanks!

Sienna

Postby Sienna » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:27 am

Welcome to Premium! We live down the street and are glad to see the house to to appreciative new owners.

S'Wonderful
Modern Socialite

Postby S'Wonderful » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:06 am

Welcome to the neighborhood! The previous owners did a really nice job on the interior -- nice to not have to do much work there! If you haven't already discovered it, we have a neighborhood website that is a good source for information, contractors, etc. It's <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cliffmayranchos/> We're also in the process of forming a neighborhood association for design standards, etc. Happy to have you aboard!
Life is good!

merritt
Modern Socialite

Postby merritt » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:40 pm

Well I am now moved in and getting things cleaned up.
I am also making a nice wish list. I am thinking of seeing if Joe Estrada, who did the kitchen cabinets btw, could do a couple little cabinets in the bathrooms. I have somehow managed to accumulate a large amount of crap while living in a one bedroom apartment... I need more storage.

BOXOUTBM

Postby BOXOUTBM » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:52 am

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

I browsed over to your Yahoo group

Postby modfan » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:10 am

And noticed there was discussion of making it gated.

For my 2 cents:
I used to live in a gated community, it kinda has it's advantages but they are small. To have big advantages you'd have to have an EXPENSIVE guard gated community with a human attending the entrances 24/7 (ala Hidden Hills, Canyon Lake or most tracts in Indian Wells).
We still had crime-one car was stolen (I think by someone the owner knew and they posed as someone who was supposed to be there) one unit a squatter had moved in. You really benefit tho if the community is CONSISTENTLY on the ball and active, our HOA meetings were sparsely attended and only had residents come to the board to whine, complain and b i t c h instead of offering help and ideas. So if you find a supermajority of the residents would be positive about this and they are consistently active (you will need a HOA of some sort to maintain the gates) it would probably work. But if interest is low and folks would be less interested over time, it's not a benefit.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”