MCM Bathroom Photos

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
markjudep
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

MCM Bathroom Photos

Postby markjudep » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:33 pm

I have a library of books about MCMism, architecture, etc., but there are very few photos of untouched MCM bathrooms. I've also spent a few hours on Google with not much luck. Can anyone point me in the right direction? If I see another one of those bowl sinks that look like they came out of the W hotel in 1995, I'll puke. I'd love to see what the bathrooms in like a Breuer or Johnson home looked like, before I dive into remodeling my own.

Thanks, mucho.

--Mark

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:01 pm

Kitchens and baths -- old Arch Record photos ("Record Houses"):

Image Philip Johnson, 1962

Image Ulrich Franzen, 1960

Image Breuer & Beckhard, 1967

Image Edward Larrabee Barnes, 1968

I call it Corporate Minimalism. It still dominates in architectural practice. Stanley "wire" or similar are the pulls, more often than not.
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:19 pm

welll, the "architecture books" don't have much in them, i'll admit, but where you can find oodles of cool retro mod bathrooms is in the more epehemeral publications of the day: sunset - lane publications, good housekeeping, better homes and gardens, etc...

this book has fun bathroom ideas:

http://www.amazon.com/Inspiring-Interio ... 4585/ll-20

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:47 pm

go on ebay or your local used magazine dealer and find Sunset, Better Homes & Garden, House Beautiful, Living, and House & Garden magazines from the period you are interested in. Great, cheap resource.

you won't find anything online, either. Images are usually protected by copyright.

Neutra Works book (the big one) has plenty of Modern bathrooms too.

atomic_Iowa_ranch
Modern Fan

Postby atomic_Iowa_ranch » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:57 am

Here are a few pics of my 1955 MCM bathroom. Original except for faucets on sinks.

Devon

Josquin
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Bathroom

Postby Josquin » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:48 am

The master bath in my house; completely original. Later, the faucet broke and had to be replaced.

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

So...

Postby modfan » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:13 am

How does that ribbed plastic/fiberglas clean up in the bathroom, does it hold up well in a moist part of the house?

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:22 am

atomic_iowa, thats great to have an original bathroom!
josquin, love the tile and crome and cabinets, especially the tile return
down to the floor. very modern and easily copied for a new bathroom.

if you haven't already, you might go through this list. only a handful of bath photos
starting with case study #22, but seem to cover a more modern style.

http://www.artsandarchitecture.com/case ... index.html

difficult to find photos. FG's book posted looks like a good resource.

bathrooms are hard to photograph and often didn't make the cut in publications.
the best ones seem to be an extension of the house itself...designed as another
room with elements of the 'whole house'. cabinet choices and tiles that relate to the
kitchen and wall surfaces that relate to living areas. (as in the example SDR posted)

atomic_Iowa_ranch
Modern Fan

Postby atomic_Iowa_ranch » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:24 am

It cleans easily. It's held up for over 58 years, so far so good!
Devon

BOXOUTBM
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby BOXOUTBM » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:13 am

I really like that Green Fiberglass.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:16 am

Ah, the flavors of modernism ! Note that Mark is on the East Coast and mentions only Breuer and Johnson. This might be a clue that he is looking at the more sober designs of the Harvard/Yale-trained architects. The only Philip Johnson baths that I have seen have had honed (?) granite counters and the sort of restrained detailing that I call "corporate" -- meaning SOM, Gwathmey, et al and the institutional work they led with in the post-war period.

But I could be confused, there. Anyone ?

SDR

Dan O.
Modern Master

Postby Dan O. » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:34 pm

Who was it that posted a link to scans of a vintage Crane brochure that featured color artwork of period bathrooms?

Dan O.
Modern Master

Postby Dan O. » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:37 pm

markjudep
Modern Master

Postby markjudep » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:49 pm

Thanks sooooo much! I'm copying Josquin's bathroom for the downstairs and I'll look at all the resources you all recommended. I really appreciate it.

--Mark

P.S. Thinking about the fiberglass, too.

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:08 am

This is crazy expensive, but i like the concept.
If i needed to re-do a bath i would consider trying a custom a version of it...

but just finding the right toilet to make it work gets $$.

killer square tub on the website....one can dream eh?

http://www.troyadamsdesign.com/

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:29 am

another fine transformation...
http://www.neo-metro.com/projects/pod-hotel

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:53 am

Rich -- and apparently quite complete !

"Images are usually protected by copyright." Yes, but that doesn't mean you can't print them for your own use, of course.

SDR

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:07 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:59 pm

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:26 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:45 pm

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:54 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:07 pm

I thought puns were against the rules at LL -- or is that just "profane puns" ? [-X

SDR

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:24 pm

the hidden toilet to me is like putting your garbage under the sink. better to have it out in the open where you can keep it clean and in check so nothing gets "funk-da-fied". as the one who cleans the head in my house, it looks like more to worry about...
i would not want to do potty training with a 2 year old boy with that one!
but it does look good.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:29 pm

I'm just pulling your collective legs. Because the OP here is probably trying to redo some mid level baths. As will I eventually. And it's hard enough to pay $400. -$800. for a cool looking Toto or Duravit, let alone some designer one costing thousands. To use one, you would need a bath the size of my bedroom.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:05 pm

Wait -- you DON'T have a bathroom the size of your bedroom ?

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:37 am

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:50 am

T.O. MidMod
Modern Socialite

Postby T.O. MidMod » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:02 am

Since the only two rooms in our 1961 back-split in Toronto that were NOT original were the kitchen and bathroom, when we decided to completely gut and renovate the bathroom in January/February, we decided to "riff" on what we thought it might have looked like. The sink is vintage, the Formica is Boomerang (originally called "Skylark" as you all know), the light fixtures are Swedish 1950s and all of the green glass mosaic tiles are deadstock from the 1960s.

Read (and see) all about it:

http://atomicplayhouse.blogspot.com/200 ... orjpg.html

Dave

AlcoaMCM
Modern Socialite

Postby AlcoaMCM » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:45 pm

Here's a picture from the original 1957 sales brochure for our house. Note the wall-mounted toilet (which has since been replaced).

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”