black trim? or dark brown trim?(exterior)

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

scarygroover
Modern Fan

black trim? or dark brown trim?(exterior)

Postby scarygroover » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:59 pm

That is the question. I like the look that I have seen on some MCM's with Black or near black exterior trim. I am leaning towards a brown(jackson tan) or greenish(jamesboro gold) color for the main siding of the house. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Right now as you can see from the link, the siding and trim are the same color.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8183388@N02/2336886512/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8183388@N0 ... otostream/

I would also like to know where I can see photo's of paint jobs on mcm's.

Thanks!
scarygroover

cougarider
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby cougarider » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:13 pm

My neighbors house has black trim while the main siding of the house is a mustard soft yellow. It works and looks great too.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby egads » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:40 pm

Are the window frames bronze? I'd sort of match that.

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:38 pm

not to sound catty (seriously/honestly), but i'd think about replacing that front door with something more "mod-appropriate" before changing paint colors. for instance, if you were to choose a pumpkin orange slab that you love, the newly black trim might look a bit trick-or-treat (whereas brown would be keen)... or a stained door might look great with blackish. either case, definitely darker than the siding...

scarygroover
Modern Fan

Postby scarygroover » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:50 am

the window frames are black.

yeah i am not that into the door either but it'll take a while for that. I also agree about the trick or treaty look.

any suggestions for a good brown or where to find good color combos for mod homes?

scarygroover
Modern Fan

Postby scarygroover » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:52 am

i also agree that a stained front door would look great. thanks!

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:43 pm

My advice in a case like this is to "approach with caution"; coloring every piece of trim could replace the present bland (?) uniformity with a chopped-up "kid's drawing of a house" appearance. If the new body color is a lot darker than this "biscuit" tan (?), then a dark window outline would not be out of place, certainly. Black goes well with the crisper, metallic sort of Modern epitomized by Jones, Koenig and friends, whereas the same effect on a woodsier Berkeley property can look harsh and "plastic," I think. Your house has (to me) a relaxed and nature-imbued ambience; browns and greens would do well, perhaps with a touch of crimson, or olive, to the finest details like window sash. (Orange isn't the 'only' Modern accent color !)

Speaking of kids' drawings, you could print your exterior photos and try coloring them with pencils or crayons, to get an easy look at as many options as you like. (I don't do Photoshop, so this is my default method.) You can lighten your photos and print them in black and white, to save ink and to give a neutral background for your artwork.

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

srk1941
Modern Master

Postby srk1941 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:52 pm

Steven Keylon
Village Green - National Historic Landmark

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:25 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:17 pm

what are to trimming out?

go with dark brown, but only posts, beams, and fascia.

scarygroover
Modern Fan

Postby scarygroover » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:25 pm

hey joe, so do you mean leave the trim around the windows the same color as whatever i paint the rest of the house? I have thought of that. I have also seen people take the trim off of their windows for a more stream lined look.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:15 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:46 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:09 pm

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:55 am

I like the idea of printing this out in black and white and trying different ideas by
coloring.

I think the body of the house should be one color, including around the windows.
i actually like the color it is now. the fascia and the entry could use some color to set it apart.
I think it is much too handsome of an entry for fun minty greens.
Warm brown trim? Tree bark color.
fascia, beams and posts. And a slab front door, clear glass side-lights.
door could be just a light stain. Or even better, a deep contrasting color? Brick red?
I would start with the door.
I think i just repeated what has already been suggested... :D
once the door is changed, the rest of the architecture is doing its job as it is.

scarygroover
Modern Fan

Postby scarygroover » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:14 am

thanks for all the great suggestions. Keep them coming !!!

scarygroover
Modern Fan

Postby scarygroover » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:28 am

beams:

ok, so the interior beams are a dark walnut stain. I guess i would have to sand off the paint that was painted on the beams on the outside and restain it to match the inside.

fascia- does this include the gutters?

posts-the posts are not visible as they are covered with siding so those are not applicibale in this case.

door: I am thinking stained wood. I like the bright door on other people's houses but it's just a bit too loud for me. I am more into the wood/stained modern look.

Thanks for your help on this. I'll repost once we have something done.

Best,
scarygroover

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:10 am

You should not have to strip the exterior part of the beams. Just color match as closer as possible.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:16 am

The exterior beams could be painted a color that closely matches the interior stain color; even if you went to the trouble to strip, sand and stain them the weather would soon have them a different tone and texture, anyway. Just as a nut or a shell has a different texture inside than out, so I maintain that this difference may just as well apply to man's work. So, paint is appropriate here, I think.

The fascia and anything on it (gutters) would be painted a new color, if desired, so that a strong even stripe of that color appears equally everywhere on the roof edge. But leave the downspouts as body color; we want them to disappear. (A different strategy would be called for, perhaps, in a more "purist" work of architecture. . .)

Sounds like you have a good start. Best wishes !

SDR

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:35 am

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:20 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:26 pm

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:40 pm

scarygroover
Modern Fan

Postby scarygroover » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:11 pm

scarygroover
Modern Fan

Postby scarygroover » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:16 pm

lasquirrel
Modern Master

Postby lasquirrel » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:48 pm

Sheryl

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:03 am

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:02 pm

" how about the corner trim where two walls meet. should it also be the same body color or be of dark trim paint ala fascia"

I'd make it body color. Continuity, especially without vertical interruptions, is generally desirable -- though there is a Japanese-inspired style in which light-colored panels are consistently framed in dark bands.

Wright's early work often featured this detail, while the later work usually had mitered corners and a minimum of "outlining," especially at corners. (To be accurate, even FLLW's early work had a very "modern" folding of panels; the framed panel would wrap an (inside or outside) corner with no molding at the "fold.")

I mention Wright because he pioneered many of the modernist wooden-house features found in houses like yours -- though yours is not Wrightian is any overt way. A house with low gabled roof, glass gables and long low horizontal lines will always remind us of his work.

SDR

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:03 pm

" how about the corner trim where two walls meet. should it also be the same body color or be of dark trim paint ala fascia"

I'd make it body color. Continuity, especially without vertical interruptions, is generally desirable -- though there is a Japanese-inspired style in which light-colored panels are consistently framed in dark bands.

Wright's early work often featured this detail, while the later work usually had mitered corners and a minimum of "outlining," especially at corners. (To be accurate, even FLLW's early work had a very "modern" folding of panels; the framed panel would wrap an (inside or outside) corner with no molding at the "fold.")

I mention Wright because he pioneered many of the modernist wooden-house features found in houses like yours -- though yours is not Wrightian is any overt way. A house with low gabled roof, glass gables and long low horizontal lines will always remind us of his work.

SDR

scarygroover
Modern Fan

Postby scarygroover » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:35 pm

hey sdr, thanks for your input on this.

I believe the japanese style you are referencing may perhaps be the style that caught my eye with dark trim. it always seemed modern yet elegant to me.

great insights on Wright as well.

Now for the door. Unfortunately, the door will have to stay for the short term. (by the way, i believe this door may be original, remember this was built in 78 not 64). I can see the entry dramatically improving with a new more modern door but due to the cost of a new door at this stage, it will have to wait. However, the paint is actually a matter of protecting the house from the elements (making it more urgent) as well an aesthetic change which can be done much cheaper than buying a door. In time I will change the door though. I did some looking online and found some amazing looking doors out there. here are a few of my faves.

http://www.urbanfront.co.uk/products.php
http://www.milanodoors.com/edoors.htm
http://www.worldofdoors.com/welcome.php

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”